Why don't we make a deal

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by stfciu, Jun 11, 2018.

What is the future of vi library development

1. Grounded devs

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Fresh approachers

24 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. stfciu

stfciu Senior Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Was making some contemplation about what is ahead of us considering the vi libraries development in a near future and I wondered if we are more relaying on existing market leaders or are we keen to see some new faces that will change a little bit on the table. Initially my conclusion has been connected to the first option, lately seeing e.g. RedRoomAudio or S+A propositions I see myself a little bit torn.

So I thought in this case, let's make a deal.
    If any of the devs will make anything crucial in your opinion till end of 2018 let us make ourselves a favour and support this developer by acquiring particular library to make us go further. Solid statement but within an inner reflection. Nothing will be verified at the end you know :)

Hoping for your conclusions.

To direct our wishes, simple poll attached. :)

BR
    Sebastian

2. wcreed51

wcreed51 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Berkshires, MA USA
    This is a commercial announcement?

3. mouse

mouse Senior Member

Oct 20, 2016
    This forum gets weirder every day...

Desire Inspires and Zoot_Rollo like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    stfciu

stfciu Senior Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Nope. I've already asked to move the thread. My sincere apologies.

wcreed51 likes this.
  5. SchnookyPants

SchnookyPants I never metaphor I didn't like

Apr 26, 2016
    42.709, -83.020
  6. SoNowWhat?

SoNowWhat? realised I can type here

Jul 26, 2016
    I’ve never approached purchase of VIs or plugins on the basis of whether the developer is “established”. My decisions are more based on “do I need this?”, “does it sound good?” and “does this fit my budget?”. Any other contextual information like reviews and experience from users here is taken into account. I’m probably more comfortable if I’ve purchased successfully from a particular developer before but, I thought most devs were on the small side in this business anyway. Have I misunderstood the premise?

7. alexd

alexd Member

Jun 11, 2018
    I agree with these observations. It should not be about whether sound developers are established or not. They should just be valued on the quality of their work.

Shubus and SoNowWhat? like this.
  8. Mike Fox

Mike Fox Senior Member

Jul 8, 2016
    I think we're already seeing the rise of some fresh developers. String Audio, for example.

9. Zoot_Rollo

Zoot_Rollo Throbbing Member

Jul 1, 2016
    finally got around to checking them out.

Alchemist 2 looks cool.

10. Mike Fox

Mike Fox Senior Member

Jul 8, 2016
    DM2 is unreal. I've never played anything like it. A2 looks very similar.

SoNowWhat? and Zoot_Rollo like this.
  11. Zoot_Rollo

Zoot_Rollo Throbbing Member

Jul 1, 2016
    i started another thread about getting one last textural/offbeat orch library (BHCT).

after watching the demos, Dark Matter 2 and Alchemy 2 may be JUST what i've been looking for.

Mike Fox likes this.
  12. MatFluor

MatFluor Senior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Switzerland
    I am an aspiring developer.

But there is so much already done, and better because there was budget. So - until I somehow get a good idea for something....I keep making those for my own usage.

So - I'm torn - established devs have the leverage to do great stuff, but on the other hand mostly grown where income is necessary and jobs are dependent on it. Fresh, young devs go unusual and sometimes good ways, but don't have the budget to do certain things.

13. GearNostalgia

GearNostalgia Senior Member

Jun 11, 2018
    I think there could be a room for you and other fresh faces in a common cloud based subscription solution. Something like EastWest cloud but for a bigger mix of small developers that don't have a full range of products. That could also solve the problem of the "no resale policy" issue of buying libs. Pay for it as long as you use it, no hassle.

14. bozmillar

bozmillar Senior Member

Nov 26, 2015
    Not all good ideas require a big budget. There are advantages and disadvantages to being a smaller developer. Start with the things you can do with a small budget and work up to the things that require a bigger budget.

The only requirement is that you make a product that people need and are willing to pay for.

15. kitekrazy

kitekrazy Senior Member

Dec 23, 2008
    More so in plugin effects. There's a lot more competition and the big boys have more sales and drop prices a lot. There's a lot of quality coming from small developers (see Boz below) and the competition is good.

16. stevedeath

stevedeath Active Member

Apr 8, 2018
    London
    I think there’s definitely some interesting fresh developers coming out and I think it’s really essential for the scene. Naturally a lot of the bigger guys get locked into a creative groove as well as being a bit tied down to playing it safe as their overheads increase.

Fracture Sounds are doing some great stuff with really nicely sampled instruments, often with a bit of a twist. Slate & Ash’s auras looks like something completely different, I think both could be major players of the future.

One company that have managed to grow into something very big and still keep things fresh is Output. Always try something new despite large overheads (I’d imagine).

Josh Richman likes this.
  17. sinkd

sinkd Senior Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Western North Carolina
    "grounded developers"

Some around here would prefer the term "earthed"

Wally Garten likes this.
  18. Fab

Fab Senior Member

Feb 18, 2016
    very cool randomization features and 6 layers...any more that are interesting technically in this particular area?

Zoot_Rollo likes this.
  19. Mike Fox

Mike Fox Senior Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Not sure yet. Still exploring.

20. Mannix

Mannix Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Auras has my attention, are there more videos of library and UI?