What's new

Why Does Waves Keep Harassing Me?

when you need to install a new plugin, don't forget to check everything you own, or it will uninstall what you don't check and just install what you do.
Yes. I agree that this is the case and that it's bad product design. It also means that downloading one new plugin or an update means redownloading everything else, which can take a while.

I keep promising myself that I will abandon Waves all together. But some of their products are very good in spite of Waveshell, Waves Central and WUP. So they are still installed on my PC.

If you want to see how to do installation, updating and license management right, look at Toontrack.

Truthfully, as a PC user, I rarely WUP. I usually just upgrade for a whole lot less. Though once you get to Mercury, you are mostly stuck. And? Version 9 will still work fine.

If you do decide you need to WUP, do it through everypugin.com - it will always be cheaper than through Waves.

Truthfully, as a PC user, I rarely WUP. I usually just upgrade for a whole lot less.

I don't think a lot of Waves users are aware of this. An upgrade to a higher bundle includes WUP for one year for all the bundled products and is often cheaper than just buying the WUP for that product alone.

I've been tracking upgrade options for my products and the prices keep varying depending upon what promotion waves is running. You can wait till the Upgrade price falls and then use that price as a reference to get an even lower price from everyplugin.com or plugindiscounts.com

Please correct me if I haven't figured this out properly.

I don't think a lot of Waves users are aware of this. An upgrade to a higher bundle includes WUP for one year for all the bundled products and is often cheaper than just buying the WUP for that product alone.

I've been tracking upgrade options for my products and the prices keep varying depending upon what promotion waves is running. You can wait till the Upgrade price falls and then use that price as a reference to get an even lower price from everyplugin.com or plugindiscounts.com

That is the way to do it. :)

It's not an extortion plan, it's something wrong in Waves Central. I've found when you need to install a new plugin, don't forget to check everything you own, or it will uninstall what you don't check and just install what you do. Though I did think they fixed this.

In the new one, v9 plugins are not available to 'install' so doing anything would uninstall them. Legacy Products down at the bottom just says you cant do older plugins here you have to do them seperatly. There was literally no reason to uninstall as they were working great and I was given no option to prevent it nor notification it would happen.

-DJ

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 9.26.27 PM.png

In the new one, v9 plugins are not available to 'install' so doing anything would uninstall them. Legacy Products down at the bottom just says you cant do older plugins here you have to do them seperatly. There was literally no reason to uninstall as they were working great and I was given no option to prevent it nor notification it would happen.

-DJ

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 9.26.27 PM.png

What I understood from the Waves V11 FAQ is that apparently version 9 is offered through a separate offline installer going forward. The new Waves Central can only install/manage V10 and V11.

So am guessing in case V9 plugins are missing you may need to reinstall and manage them through the offline installer they mentioned.

Not the most intuitive approach by Waves. A lot of people might use the new Waves Central first, before reading the FAQ, and end up with missing V9 plugins.

What I understood from the Waves V11 FAQ is that apparently version 9 is offered through a separate offline installer going forward. The new Waves Central can only install/manage V10 and V11.

So am guessing in case V9 plugins are missing you may need to reinstall and manage them through the offline installer they mentioned.

Not the most intuitive approach by Waves. A lot of people might use the new Waves Central first, before reading the FAQ, and end up with missing V9 plugins.

Yeah I had to install separate v9 and v10 offline installers to get all my plugins back (installing on the new waves central didnt return my v10)

And that was my point, v9 and v11 can both work side by side, there was no need at all to uninstall my v9's other than to make it a pain in the ass to re-install so that upgrading would look like the path of least resistance. Thats what being coerced into doing something looks like, either you upgrade or im going to make using the older versions difficult to use until you do. Again they were working just fine at v9.

-DJ

When I picked up The Gold Collection v10 the instructions with Wave Central specifically stated that the V9 versions of any plugins I already had installed or were planning on installing had to be managed by a separate installer.

I'm suspecting v11 is the same as v10 was at the time.

Look here:

And for a thread, here:

make it a pain in the ass to re-install so that upgrading would look like the path of least resistance. Thats what being coerced into doing something looks like, either you upgrade or im going to make using the older versions difficult to use until you do.

Hope Waves is reading this. And this point has been brought up here before too. So maybe it deserves attention by the company in a permanent manner first instead of another new version release.

Am sure they have a large enough customer base already to not warrant any underhand approaches for securing WUP/Upgrade sales.

When I picked up The Gold Collection v10 the instructions with Wave Central specifically stated that the V9 versions of any plugins I already had installed or were planning on installing had to be managed by a separate installer.

I'm suspecting v11 is the same as v10 was at the time.

Look here:

And for a thread, here:

The thing with company owned installers is that the users would most likely assume that it will take care of all installations, licenses, be they old or new. So when we download a new version of Waves Central, which actually auto updates every time you launch it, we kinda expect the installer to be the single point interface to manage all the company's products/licenses.

Many have burnt their hands with Waves' current approach so it might be worthwhile for them to relook at it.

The entire Waves experience from updates dealing with WUP and different Waveshell installers just confirms I probably made the right decision.
I came to the conclusion w/ so many great companies that have amazing plugins that also don’t feel a need to torture their customers are who I’d rather spend my money with. Other developers have figured out straightforward installation and authorization schemes,offer no crazy protocols or procedures with great products so I simply trashed everything Waves in my system and never looked back.
I suppose at some point I could sell my account but I’m not sure it would be a very nice thing for me to do at any cost..........

Yeah I had to install separate v9 and v10 offline installers to get all my plugins back (installing on the new waves central didnt return my v10)

And that was my point, v9 and v11 can both work side by side, there was no need at all to uninstall my v9's other than to make it a pain in the ass to re-install so that upgrading would look like the path of least resistance. Thats what being coerced into doing something looks like, either you upgrade or im going to make using the older versions difficult to use until you do. Again they were working just fine at v9.

-DJ
You're right. It shouldn't affect the older plugins if it won't let you manage them from the same place. That is messed up.

The thing with company owned installers is that the users would most likely assume that it will take care of all installations, licenses, be they old or new. So when we download a new version of Waves Central, which actually auto updates every time you launch it, we kinda expect the installer to be the single point interface to manage all the company's products/licenses.

Many have burnt their hands with Waves' current approach so it might be worthwhile for them to relook at it.

Absolutely and that was the mistake I made as well. I wrongly assumed the v10 installer was a super set of the v9 installer. Wrong. The fix was easy but it should not have occurred in the first place.

Overall I find Waves install process to be convoluted and confusing.

Overall I find Waves install process to be convoluted and confusing.
The only possible area of disagreement about this is whether or not it's on purpose. Several of us suspect that it is. I'm almost convinced of that as well.

Last edited:

Sure they are. Waves has a previous history of pissing people off. There was a 30+ page thread on Northernsounds about people who were no longer going to use them.

I think their biggest issue is they are the largest developer of plugins and don't have the best way of installing/authorizing. I guess if every plugin was separated into a zip file they would drive users crazy and add to server costs.

I installed that free distortion plugin today and it uninstalled all my v9 and v10 waves plugins.

Reported them to the better business buereu, that shit is a clear attempt to coerce people to upgrade. You have to jump through a bunch of hoops just to get the older ones working again.

Just as a note, the plugins were working fine also v9 and v11 can work together at the same time. There was zero reason for them to be uninstalled other than to make upgrading seem like the better option. Shady as fuck.

-DJ

Daniel. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'm a cynic but I agree that the free distortion could have been a way to get a lot of people to upgrade. No more Waves for me.

Usually the waves installers have a question somewhere in there you have to answer, and admittedly its not worded clearly, so I have accidentally fallen for that trap too and had to reinstall everything. But there is a question about updating your stuff...and if you say yes, then that is when it does the dastardly thing that happened to you. I have to answer that question no. I haven't tried to install this free thing yet, because I'm still waiting for Waves to send it to me, even though I have asked for like 3 times and they've responded saying it will be on its way within a few hours..I have yet to receive anything.

lol.. well.. when you have that lingering question as to why waves plugins are so cheap...

its between "You are the product" and tough upgrade info to get newbies paying WUP.

im sure you info has been resold and resold by now if you use v9 ;)

I'm still waiting for Waves to send it to me, even though I have asked for like 3 times and they've responded saying it will be on its way within a few hours..I have yet to receive anything.

Maybe it's the Universe trying to protect your existing Waves installations.

Top Bottom