What's new

Why Does Waves Keep Harassing Me?

you don't. They update their plugins very infrequently. The update plan is only good for a year and you might see one update during that time period, or might not even see that. My advice is wait until you think you need an update, then resubscribe one time to get the latest update and let it lapse after that until you absolutely need an update again.

Depends on if you are PC or Mac. If you are Mac and like to update your OS, you may need to keep it up. Or just buy an upgrade bundle, which is usually cheaper.

good to hear that 9.9 is working on Catalina! That is a major kudos to waves for not forcing me to update some stuff there is just no reason to

If your Wave plugs work in your DAW & current OS, there’s absolutely no reason to update via WUP.
The last version of Waves I used was version # 8 and I actually deleted all of my Waves plugins.After a while for a brief moment I wanted to reinstall and update to version 9 but I really didn’t want to engage & pay for WUP.
I decided to contact Waves tech support and believe it or not the rep explained to me how to reinstall and update to 9 without paying for the WUP update.
Ironically I never reinstalled,I have so many plugs I prefer and I hate the Waveshell and seem to have less problems without Waves on my system.
I don’t know if anything has changed in the last few years but imo WUP is simply a revenue stream for Waves,if it’s working in your system as is now there’s really no good reason to pay for WUP.

Clearly, both Nestlé as well as Monsanto make worse audio plugins.

If nestle had an AI-Based mixing assistant called ”Quik Mix”...I would be tempted to try it. If monsanto was still around, who knows what modulators they could make? :thumbsup:

in the end they’d probably still have better upgrade plans and service than waves...

Just thinking aloud here. They've released v11 so soon after v10. What is the assurance that if one updates/upgrades to v11 now, v12 won't be round the corner?

The strategy appears to be to discount plugins by 90% to pull customers in and then change the version overall to make these discounted plugins effectively 'outdated' for resale (so you'll be forced to upgrade in order to sell). Or am I missing something here?

Just thinking aloud here. They've released v11 so soon after v10. What is the assurance that if one updates/upgrades to v11 now, v12 won't be round the corner?

The strategy appears to be to discount plugins by 90% to pull customers in and then change the version overall to make these discounted plugins effectively 'outdated' for resale (so you'll be forced to upgrade in order to sell). Or am I missing something here?

No. You are not.

Sounds about right. The update schene is shady and I can’t see its value. I just deleted all my waves plugins yesterday. These waveshell bundles/plugin files keep failing authorization in my daw and causing hell.
Good riddance.

I find the Waves Update Plan awesome.

I've been using a bunch of great plugins since 2012, paid 29 bucks for most of them and never updated or paid for anything since then. I don't know, some seem to be doing it wrong ... :grin:

I installed that free distortion plugin today and it uninstalled all my v9 and v10 waves plugins.

Reported them to the better business buereu, that shit is a clear attempt to coerce people to upgrade. You have to jump through a bunch of hoops just to get the older ones working again.

Just as a note, the plugins were working fine also v9 and v11 can work together at the same time. There was zero reason for them to be uninstalled other than to make upgrading seem like the better option. Shady as fuck.

-DJ

Guess I'll wait and watch. Have deposited the license in my account. In no hurry to start using it right away.

I believe the Waves Upgrades are also 50% off for BF now. Might work out to be a better deal for someone since it automatically updates their Waves Update Plan for a year along with the upgrade to a higher bundle.

It's not an extortion plan, it's something wrong in Waves Central. I've found when you need to install a new plugin, don't forget to check everything you own, or it will uninstall what you don't check and just install what you do. Though I did think they fixed this.

Top Bottom