Why Does God Let Me Live (CSS and Cinesamples)

Rodney Money

On V.I. avoiding work.
The genesis of this hymn started with a simple statement from my best friend complaining about the simplicity of contemporary Christian music’s lyrics and chords. I told him if I ever wrote a hymn I would try my best to put more meat in the words especially. The following week I was contacted by a client and dear friend who is absolutely one of the greatest trombone players in the world telling me that I should write a piece for the unexpected transformation of 2020 concerning what the world is going through at this time, so I decided to write a hymn. One of my organist friends also recommended b minor so if he wanted to commission me to arrange it for organ and strings the key would already work very well. Thus this hymn was born. I decided to simply render the demo with strings for simplicity sake and did not use double basses due to the range of the human voice. Thank you for taking a look and listen.
BB234CB7-F39E-4130-8CEA-EC3C49DBFD14.jpeg
C0F39574-DAE8-46F5-AABF-60483F8CAE14.jpeg

Last edited:

Gingerbread

Good things can come from even the worst of times. Or maybe because of the worst of times. It's a beautifully haunting piece, a little reminiscent of Barber's "Adagio for Strings."

Did you use CSS for this mockup?

If I had any suggestion for the mockup aspect of it, it would just be to play a bit more with dynamics and tempo for greater expressiveness. Though since this is going to be played by live musicians anyway, that might not have been important for the mockup.

OP
Rodney Money

Rodney Money

On V.I. avoiding work.
Good things can come from even the worst of times. Or maybe because of the worst of times. It's a beautifully haunting piece, a little reminiscent of Barber's "Adagio for Strings."

Did you use CSS for this mockup?

If I had any suggestion for the mockup aspect of it, it would just be to play a bit more with dynamics and tempo for greater expressiveness. Though since this is going to be played by live musicians anyway, that might not have been important for the mockup.
Thank you Gingerbread for your compliments, comments, and feedback. I used CSS for about 85% with some Tina Guo for some touches here and there, and then a little Cinestrings Violins for the high soprano part mixed in with some very light Spitfire lab strings to create some air. I did debate on how expressive to be in the rendering although the irony is that in the score it calls for expressiveness. There is some slight variation in the tempo throughout, very slight, but the cc1 was definitely tamed down in this piece. I’m not kidding I debated heavily concerning how expressive to be. Maybe one day I will go back to it for fun, or anyone else can since it’s an easy choir or congregational hymn, but this one was one of those things I needed to get done fast and I knew the client who prefers more constant tempos in the hymns so everyone stays together, more tame renaissance style concerning dynamics with the rise and falls happening between the beats. Thank you once again. Your comments were what was in my head before I posted it here.

Last edited: