What's new

Why does 'Crossgrade' mean different things?

Robert_G

Is that cake?
Cinematic studio strings for 399 get the brass for 299 (save 100) keep both.

If you own Emotional Cello, you can crossgrade the violin and own both.

Steinberg crossgrades for cubase and stuff you lose the other previously owned product.

So the same word is used for 2 completely different transactions. How is this a thing?

maxime77

Well if you're getting a better version of a software why would you keep previous versions?

In the case of sample libraries crossgrade usually means if you own a library, you get a discount to buy others.

styledelk

English. Differences in whether the object assigned to the cross is internal or external. Salvation accepting both.

TigerTheFrog

Amphibiousician
Cinematic studio strings for 399 get the brass for 299 (save 100) keep both.

If you own Emotional Cello, you can crossgrade the violin and own both.

Steinberg crossgrades for cubase and stuff you lose the other previously owned product.

So the same word is used for 2 completely different transactions. How is this a thing?
Actually, if you buy Cinematic Studio Strings, Alex sends you an email with a code for a 30% discount from list price for Cinematic Studio Brass ($279) and Cinematic Studio Solo Strings ($199). He never uses the term "Crossgrade." He calls it a "very affordable price" for existing customers. :)

Also, it doesn't matter if you buy any of his products on Black Friday, when the existing libraries have been available for less. The "very affordable price' is still 30% off of the list price.

In terms of your quest for an answer to the ultimate meaning of "crossgrade," you might begin with this excerpt from "Alice in Wonderland."

When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”
“The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”
“The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that's all.”

OP
R

Robert_G

Is that cake?
Actually, if you buy Cinematic Studio Strings, Alex sends you an email with a code for a 30% discount from list price for Cinematic Studio Brass ($279) and Cinematic Studio Solo Strings ($199). He never uses the term "Crossgrade." He calls it a "very affordable price" for existing customers. :)

Also, it doesn't matter if you buy any of his products on Black Friday, when the existing libraries have been available for less. The "very affordable price' is still 30% off of the list price.
Such an easy company to like.

OP
R

Robert_G

Is that cake?
In terms of your quest for an answer to the ultimate meaning of "crossgrade," you might begin with this excerpt from "Alice in Wonderland."

When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”
“The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”
“The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that's all.”
Didnt humpty dumpty fall off a wall and die?

TigerTheFrog

Amphibiousician
Didnt humpty dumpty fall off a wall and die?
Good point.

By the way, I got the crossgrade price for Cubase because I had Sonar, and Sonar still works. I also crossgraded from HALion Sonic to full HALion and still have them both. I think you're talking about the issue of Cubase and Nuendo. There must be an explanation for this.

But I think I'm right in that developers mean whatever they want it to mean in terms of prices for upgrades and crossgrades, and many change the various deals all year round. iZotope has a different crossgrade for practically every day of the year. And IK has crossgrades and MAXgrades.

JonSolo

Not Han's Brother
Nuendo is not an upgrade from Cubase. It is a different product in a different product line. Thus you are crossing from a music production station to a post production station.

The fact that these products appear to be nearly identical is where the challenge comes in for some. Many do not realize that these products are created/coded separately. They view Nuendo is a “video” upgrade to Cubase...which is just not the case.

The term cross-grade fits. The term cross-grade offers zero implications in terms of what happens to the product you are cross-grading from. It is an unrelated entity.

If I cross grade from Ford to Chevy there is no implications as to whether or not I got to keep my Ford because I did not give you the details (in this case I lost the Ford because I traded it in...funny because I drive an Audi, again unrelated). Gladly Steinberg gave us the details...we surrender the license.

Hasici

Crossgrade means that you get a discount on the purchase of something if you own something different. The best are competitive crossgrades when you can own something else from a different company.

Getting 1.2 from 1.1 is called upgrade

Top Bottom