What's new

Why do people mono libraries? (e.g. BWW)

I like music

Hi everyone,

A new question. A forum member suggested monoing my BWWs so that they took less space in the mix. I realised I actually had no idea what this even meant.

I've done some reading, but most of that reading assumes I know the technical difference between Stereo and Mono. I know it sounds like a basic question, but what exactly is happening here? And in BWW's case (I'm assuming because it was recorded in a hall with a decent amount of room noise, esp in the mix mics) would there be any drawbacks to the quality of the sound, or could it really help to reduce the amount of space the woods take up in the mix?

For those wondering why I haven't tried this already, it is to do with the fact that I will not be able to use my computer for the next few weeks, and I'm using the opportunities to brush up on a few theoretical points around mix etc.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,

leon chevalier

Piano roll musician
Too me, It depends how sample are recorded. If your woodwinds are too much "in the face" reducing the stereo width may help to place them in the virtual stage. But it would be one of the trick, as long as using some early reflections and reverb FX and more importantly : adjusting the volume to be balanced with the other orchestral sections.
And to be honest, I would do that only in very rare and specific occasions.

Last edited:

leon chevalier

Piano roll musician
And for the "less space in the mix" mono mean same signal in the right and left chanel. Not less space. Usually bass and kick are mixed in mono in Rock/RnB/pop/EDM and they are not small in the mix ;)

Edit: the oldest videos from this channel are full of fantastic mixing advises, even if it's more on the pop rock genre. (The last ones had become quite redondant.) https://www.youtube.com/user/WarrenHuartRecording

Last edited:
OP
I

I like music

Too me, It depends how sample are recorded. If your woodwinds are too much "in the face" reducing the stereo width may help to place them in the virtual stage. But it would be one the trick, as long as using some early reflections and reverb FX and more importantly : adjusting the volume to be balanced with the other orchestral sections.
And to be honest, I would do that only in very rare and specific occasions.
Ah, understood. Thank you so much. This makes a lot of sense!

Top Bottom