Why are there no video reviews (on You Tube) of Berlin Strings?

Chungus

Ok, I just re-recorded it, It'll be about 3hrs 30mins and currently waiting for the footage to encode so I can put it together. Hopefully upload this weekend. Sorry it's not 20hrs :laugh:
While we wait; I read that the multis on BS are separated between longs and shorts, and one can't load artis from one into the other.

Can you confirm this is the case?

OP
jononotbono

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
In the shorts multi, you can only load these that are found in the Longs multi...

Portato Blurred
Portato Long

Longs and shorts are separate. It's more than likely to do with the scripting which creates scripted Legato between the non Legato Longs not working properly with the Shorts. Which is fair enough.

Chungus

In the shorts multi, you can only load these that are found in the Longs multi...

Portato Blurred
Portato Long

Longs and shorts are separate. It's more than likely to do with the scripting which creates scripted Legato between the non Legato Longs not working properly with the Shorts. Which is fair enough.
🤔 Ark1 can put longs and shorts in the same multi just fine. And judging by the walkthroughs, so can other OT libraries - ones in the rest of the Berlin series, included. So not having this here confounds me.

Being some-one who likes to use one midi channel per instrument, the I'm not stoked about this, either. Enough so for the desirability of BS to drop some for me.

Your walkthrough will be the deciding factor if I'll end up buying BS, myself. No pressure. xD

OP
jononotbono

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
🤔 Ark1 can put longs and shorts in the same multi just fine. And judging by the walkthroughs, so can other OT libraries - ones in the rest of the Berlin series, included. So not having this here confounds me.

Being some-one who likes to use one midi channel per instrument, the I'm not stoked about this, either. Enough so for the desirability of BS to drop some for me.

Your walkthrough will be the deciding factor if I'll end up buying BS, myself. No pressure. xD
No pressure. haha

Well, I get what you're saying and I guess it would be nice to be able to choose what you want (I don't really use Multis and more of a separate track per art type person) but there are way too many articulations to have in just one multi. SO you'd have more than one midi track anyway (assuming so many arts would be used). UACC with Spitfire is good with this type of thing but it's a different dev and sound etc. Guess it depends how you want to work. By the way, the short selection is awesome (I love the Exposed Spiccs in particular). And the Soft Sustain is killer. The Multi called Dynamics are a collection of 12 Dynamic Bowings and they've got so much vibe. Hopefully I've painted the library in a honest light. Well, you can't get much more honest than just showing everything in it. No fucking about with this. Every single patch played and shown :laugh:

MartinH.

Does it need to be one midi channel or is one track enough? I use Ark1 with one midi track per section and set the midi channel per note with hotkeys to pick articulations. In kontakt it's routed to one single articulation patch per channel. I don't like keyswitches. If you're using reaper, might be worth looking into the reaticulate extension.

edit:
I don't have the library but based on your statement I would recommend to not buy it. If you're this unsure it's easy to be disappointed and I have no doubt that it will have some flaws that will be annoying to find.

Last edited:

shawnsingh

@Chungus I haven't tried myself yet, but I think it would work if you just assigned the same MIDI channel to two separate instruments, one with longs and other with shorts. I think you can clear the corresponding slots for one capsule instance or the other, so that only long or short is played for that keyswitch.

Chungus

@Chungus I haven't tried myself yet, but I think it would work if you just assigned the same MIDI channel to two separate instruments, one with longs and other with shorts. I think you can clear the corresponding slots for one capsule instance or the other, so that only long or short is played for that keyswitch.
Ya, I've read that before. But unless a set-up like that can be saved in capsule, that work-around would become tedious for me real quick.

Does it need to be one midi channel or is one track enough? I use Ark1 with one midi track per section and set the midi channel per note with hotkeys to pick articulations. In kontakt it's routed to one single articulation patch per channel. I don't like keyswitches. If you're using reaper, might be worth looking into the reaticulate extension.
One channel per instrument. So channel 1 for vlns1, another for vlns2, and so on. I personally quite like using key switches to manage artis. Though if there is a scenario where I'd need to switch a lot, I'd instead use BSRO Articulate.

I don't have the library but based on your statement I would recommend to not buy it. If you're this unsure it's easy to be disappointed and I have no doubt that it will have some flaws that will be annoying to find.
It's really the separate multis that are off-putting. Like, that's the main thing that drove me away from East-West.

I am indeed rather leaning towards passing on BS, but if the rest of the functionality of the library is good enough, I might decide to suck it up and get it anyway. We'll see.

Zee

Ya, I've read that before. But unless a set-up like that can be saved in capsule, that work-around would become tedious for me real quick
could just save the two instruments as a kontakt multi and just route both of them to the same midi channel

Chungus

Ok, here's a link to my walkthrough of Berlin Strings!

Definitely need a faster computer for Video work. Man, render times are painful! Thank tits for Netflix! ;)

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/jonos-walkthrough-orchestral-tools-berlin-strings-main.87120/
yeyeye. It's past midnight on my end at the time of this posting, so I won't be able to watch the whole thing today. But I'll definitely start.

Also, where's your accent from? Kinda sounds south-ish? Like, Brighton or thereabouts. 🤔

OP
jononotbono

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
yeyeye. It's past midnight on my end at the time of this posting, so I won't be able to watch the whole thing today. But I'll definitely start.

Also, where's your accent from? Kinda sounds south-ish? Like, Brighton or thereabouts. 🤔
I'm from the Isle of Wight. Down South UK.

I wouldn't watch this walk through until tomorrow (or at least a few hours). Apparently You Tube is still processing it and it's currently in 360p (not 1080p) which is rather painful! ;)

Chungus

Hah. I got the south part down. What's a bit of sea's worth of difference when you've got that. :P

And it's 1080p by this point, so that's good. Got a bit of criticism for you, however:

Every walkthrough should start with "I'm very excited to show you today--" xD

Chungus

2:25:32. It's the Resident Evil basement theme. xD

And fast forward, I've finished watching the whole thing. Conclusion; yeah, BS isn't for me. The sound is good, but it would run counter to my workflow too much.

Kinda hoping that will be changed in OT's player when that launches, but I sincerely doubt it would. :P