What's new

Who Would You Put on the List of the Greatest Synth Preset Designers?

Reid Rosefelt

aka Tiger the Frog
I'm not looking for people like Walter Murch, Ben Burtt, etc. people who create brilliant sound FX for movies and TV

I'm talking about the people who create musical sounds that are used in countless records and movies. And sell them today to consumers.

I realize that there are people who create hardware, like Robert Moog, who also make patches.

There are legends like Suzanne Ciani and Wendy Carlos, but to my knowledge, they don't have stores.

I would put Eric Persing first. I think his sounds are on more hit records and major movies than anybody else.

After that, off the top of my head, I can think of (in no particular order):
Robert Moog
John Lehmkuhl
Urs Heckmann (u-he)
Simon Stockhausen
Matt Bowdler (The Unfinished)
Nori Ubukata
Tom Wolfe
AAS designers: Daniel Stawczyk, Christian Lafitte, Richard Devine, etc.

This is not to show off any knowledge that I possess--I'm sure I'm leaving out some really important people. I'm jsut curious to find out about people like this and learn more about them.

Honestly, I don't know who created all the famous patches for the DX7, M1 and others, aside from Persing (who worked on Roland stuff) and Lehmkuhl (who worked on many Korg synths, so enlighten me.

Thanks!

I think this would make a good documentary. These people have a huge impact on the culture, but the general public doesn't know their names.

Last edited:
J3PO.

And who in the synth world doesn't know Jexus?!
I bought my first hardware synth in the 80s and have been messing with them ever since. I don’t know Jexus. :thumbsdown: I ‘m not a member of the synth world I guess.

It would help me a lot if people would write a sentence or two about who these people are and why they matter.

If they sell their stuff please add a link. :)

Empty Vessel

Top of the pile, literally and figuratively, for me. A meditation in every patch. Tend towards the noisier, wonkier, dustier and 'dystopian' side of things, but with so much beauty at the core.

————————————————————

Sonic Underworld

In a similar vein to The Unfinished:

————————————————————-

The Unshushable Coktor (TUC) - u-he

Has presets in the various u-he synths, including a whole bank in the latest, free Podolski update:

Would love a full Repro bank from him, to add to his excellent factory patches.

————————————————————-

Aiyn Zahev

Tends towards the more Trance/EDM side of things. Fantastic tight/snappy plucks and arps sounds, but also lush pads

————————————————————-

Francesco Silvestri

Only know him from one Repro-5 bank. But what a lovely bank it is:

Last edited:
Greg, our Scot in New Zealand aka @Empty Vessel (thanks El-bo) - his patches for LION, Thorn and TAL Sampler are out-of-this-world. Your Arturia banks are also full of his stuff. Great guy and regular contributor to this forum. Need some grit and dirt that at the same time is dark, moody and full of life? Check out Greg’s material. Highly recommended.

@Sound Author does amazing things for Bazille, Hive and other U-he synths. Bazille owners owe it to themselves to get his Equinox and Solstice sets and steal all his cool ideas

@Whywhy aka Yuli Yolo. Great programmer, check his work for Rhizomatic Plasmonic. He’s also all over your Arturia preset banks.

Sami Rabia, aka Aiyn Zahev. Basically masters all platforms.

Simon Stockhausen. True genius. Is there a flagship synth this man has not mastered? His patchpool.net is a treasure trove and he goes to great lengths to demo his patches on YT. A single demo of one patch by Simon is someone else’s ambient album, that’s how high his standards are. Also: his dad had some talent too ;)

Last edited:
I bought my first hardware synth in the 80s and have been messing with them ever since. I don’t know Jexus. :thumbsdown: I ‘m not a member of the synth world I guess.

It would help me a lot if people would write a sentence or two about who these people are and why they matter.

If they sell their stuff please add a link. :)
Maybe I exaggerated a bit, but Jexus is pretty well known for (ab)using al kinds of synths and getting very creative results (and videos). He also sells presets as of late:

J3PO makes some really playable presets, as he is much more a keys player than a sound designer. For if you want great bread and butter presets.

Top Bottom