What's new

Who started composing music under the old school Amiga / Atari Sound Trackers ?

lychee

Hello.

I just stumbled across a video that just reminded me that I'm old.

When I was younger I had two computer brands that have completely disappeared, the Atari ST and the Comodore Amiga.
I only used it to play games until I discovered a music program called Sound Tracker.
By manipulating this program until I understand how it works, I discovered that I had a musical ear and that in me this hid a composer.
I would like to know if any of you have had the same experience as me?

Here on Amiga 500 - and I also got my first sampler on amiga 😆

I think it was this one:

deluxesound.jpg

Later on I got my first real 24 track midi-sequecer but I cannot remember the name...

Good old times 🥰

Agony, the Shadow of the Beast(s), Turrican(s), Monkey Island(s), Loom, King's Quest V, Jim Power, and so many more, I still have their soundtracks in my mind. No I did not start composing with my Amiga 500, but I started to value video game music as much as commercial music or Film / TV shows music...

Some of my inspirations come still from those old beautiful games...

Cool to see i'm not alone :laugh:

I recently discovered that there is a modern Soundtraker named Renoise, I will be both curious and afraid to test it.

Amiga 500, then Amiga 2000 - fun times with Soundtracker, Noisetracker, Protracker, FTM etc.
Try imagining to limit yourself to four tracks again!

Agony, the Shadow of the Beast(s), Turrican(s), Monkey Island(s), Loom, King's Quest V, Jim Power, and so many more, I still have their soundtracks in my mind. No I did not start composing with my Amiga 500, but I started to value video game music as much as commercial music or Film / TV shows music...

Some of my inspirations come still from those old beautiful games...

Oh my god, you just mentioned a good part of the culprits to my voluntary confinement, because of these games I no longer saw the light of day.
For me the music that marked me during this time is actually that of Turrican II, and Wings Of Death, notably this one:

Oh, yeah, had an Atari STe. Didn't have the tracker software, I started with something called "Gajits Sequencer OnePlus" which was an early midi sequencer.

I've spent the evening sorting though a few NI expansions - an easy embarrassment of riches but somehow too easy. I'm nostalgic for the early days of having to work for the sound.

Also: In my day, if you had an Amiga, you were the ENEMY.

Oh, yeah, had an Atari STe. Didn't have the tracker software, I started with something called "Gajits Sequencer OnePlus" which was an early midi sequencer.

I've spent the evening sorting though a few NI expansions - an easy embarrassment of riches but somehow too easy. I'm nostalgic for the early days of having to work for the sound.

Also: In my day, if you had an Amiga, you were the ENEMY.

lol, so in this case, I was a traitor.
I ended up cracked by seeing the visual and sound quality of the Amiga.
There is only one game that will remain to my taste better than on Amiga, this is the famous Wings Of Death that I mentioned above.

lol, so in this case, I was a traitor.
I ended up cracked by seeing the visual and sound quality of the Amiga.
There is only one game that will remain to my taste better than on Amiga, this is the famous Wings Of Death that I mentioned above.
Haha. In our collective heart-of-hearts, us STe owners knew that Amigas were better for games. We never said it out loud though. The game I played most was Elite II Frontier. Good times.

I used to play around with FastTracker II in my late teens. Mostly to make drum loops so that I could play bass on top of it. It was more stylish than a metronome.

Reactions: GNP
MIDI composing began for me in the early 90s with Music X on the Amiga 500 (and later the Amiga 2000) and eventually Bars and Pipes Professional. They were wonderful, magical tools for wringing the most creativity out of my modest arsenal of MIDI hardware. VIs were a miracle yet to be born. I still feel the loss from the tragic bankruptcy of Commodore. Its Amiga kind of outAppled Apple as far as affordable, accessible creativity was concerned, IMO, but the hardware was unstable - at least for me - in a way Apple has barely ever been since I moved to it ~10 years ago from a 10-year interlude on PCs.

I started with a c64 and Activision Music Studio.
I still have a working c64 with the ultra-advanced (by 1983 standards) mssiah cartridge :P
I also got an ST when it came out, but mine was a lemon, constantly breaking down.

I got my first Amiga - a 2000 with the Video Toaster add-in card - in 1991 after a co-worker at CompUSA showed me some raytrace renderings he did on his Amiga. Along with spending too much time playing games (World Circuit/Formula One Grand Prix, Speedball II, Sensible Soccer, and The Killing Game Show were my favorites), I also started dabbling in music, though not with a tracker, but with Bars & Pipes Pro, a Roland Midi controller, and a Roland Super Sound Canvas (SC-88).

I have an Amiga A1200 that still booted the last time I tried it, and I may still have my old Midi interface, but the Roland controller and synth are long gone. I keep an old Dell flat panel around just to use with the non-interlaced graphics mode that the AGA Amigas supported.

Ah, nostalgia - love it! I started out by making mods on my Amiga 500, Soundtracker, Noisetracker, Protracker, Octamed etc etc. One even made it into a commercial game (although it was for an Archimedes release) Then got a PC and continued with Screamtracker for a bit before getting into the actual midi scene much later. Loved the Amiga, some pretty talented mod-makers out there - particularly on the demo scene (Romeo Knight, 4-Mat, Jesper Kyd, Moby, Alister Brimble and all the others). Here is my recent lockdown "homage"...

Amiga 1000 over here. (Defender of the Crown!). I remember how it could do like hi-res at 640x480 or something like that but the monitor's refresh wasn't fast enough so it would flicker. But it looked so crisp by comparison that you would try to use it for as long as you could stand before having a seizure.

Sonix was my first!

1593256264752.png

Top Bottom