What's new

Who’s using Altiverb? Opinions?

Studio E

Eric Watkins
Man, I’m getting seriously deep on considering a new reverb, and after watching the YouTube video of Christian with Jake Jackson and hearing what Jake did with it, I was super impressed. That said, other than using it as a master hall reverb, I’m wondering if I could use it in my current workflow, where I have a reverb per stem, counting up to maybe 10 or so. I’m running an older Asus board and i7 that does pretty good, but I don’t know how hard of a hit I’ll take. Any input would be much appreciated. I always do all my own mixing, so I really want a no-compromise tool. Thanks!

Altiverb is great. Its also has a lot of presets/IRs. and the price is high. There is also EW space.
and waves IRL. At the end its all about the IR but its cool that altiverb added algorithmic reverb.

If you want to know more about some older methods with altiverb, google "todd AO predelay orchestral trick"

Spaces II probably has the best quality convolution IR's on the market. For orchestral mixing, I've yet to find a reverb with as clean and natural an impulse, although I admittedly haven't heard any of the newer IR's they've added to Altiverb since I last played around with it.

That said, Altiverb is a cool product. For its age (and considering it's not the only serious player in that market anymore), it's significantly overpriced.

I didn't like it for normal AUX reverb use. I found Waves 96khz IRs better by a BUNCH. BUT...it did it's unique thing as an insert with the spatial placement GUI--I just use that kind of thing SO infrequently, it's long gone--I don't even think I installed it on the new (now two year old) machine.

I use Spaces2 for most all my realistic room IR uses now. FWIW.

Man, I’m getting seriously deep on considering a new reverb, and after watching the YouTube video of Christian with Jake Jackson and hearing what Jake did with it, I was super impressed. That said, other than using it as a master hall reverb, I’m wondering if I could use it in my current workflow, where I have a reverb per stem, counting up to maybe 10 or so. I’m running an older Asus board and i7 that does pretty good, but I don’t know how hard of a hit I’ll take. Any input would be much appreciated. I always do all my own mixing, so I really want a no-compromise tool. Thanks!
totally recommend demo-ing it, that's what i did. send them an email and they will help you out. It's a hefty price tag for a reverb, so it was super helpful to experience it first hand

I have Altiverb and Spaces and neither is superior to the other. It's just a different collection of impulse responses.

The age of Altierb is completely irrelevant. It has an incredibly well recorded collection of impulse responses of buildings, some of which are a thousand years old. In fact I have an Impulse response of the pyramid at Giza.

Unless there's been some major breakthrough in digital audio recording that I haven't heard about, I'm pretty sure a pyramid is going to sound the same now as it did 10 years ago.

I do agree that it is overpriced, however. But it was worth it to me.

I found Altiverb here used, I was hooked after trying the demo. I’ve only had it about a year, but I’ve found I can get really good results pretty easily. I enjoy the positioner, and wit so many available reverbs, I can usually find something I like. I’m sure I’ve barely scratched the surface....

I wouldn't say it was overpriced - it's $441 from Audio Deluxe. Not that long ago, the Lexicon PCM reverbs were $1500 and people were still queuing up to buy them!

It has a vast range of very diverse IRs which gets added to regularly for free. It wouldn't be my first choice for rock music, but it has paid for itself many, many times over in post.

That's a fair point. As for whether it's good for rock, I'm a big fan of the Gear section and frequently use the plates, springs Etc.

Spaces II seems like a much better value IMO ($159 right now)...unless you really really need tons of IRs of random spaces (which if you're doing post-production or foley, I could see - doesn't seem as useful for music though). Very happy with Spaces II personally.

I picked it up. I love how encompassing it feels to my ears, on the halls I'm using it for. So for so good. I just needed something that works really well, and that it does. I really appreciate the help everyone!

I picked it up. I love how encompassing it feels to my ears, on the halls I'm using it for. So for so good. I just needed something that works really well, and that it does. I really appreciate the help everyone!
Cool. It is one of the best out there I guess (do not have it). Have fun with it!

I Got Altiverb in 2010 and as a hobbyist and pianist have not had the best of luck with it in 10 years. It requires a lot of fiddling for me to get a sound I like out of it. It is probably the deepest and most accurate convolution reverb out there and it delivers for recording engineers and folks interested in the nitty gritty of recording. I picked up Spaces II last week for less than $150 and every preset has me smiling from ear to ear without touching a knob.

I've used it for 10+ years and have found it very versatile. And all the updates to keep it current with the latest OS's have been free.

**Leigh

Top Bottom