What's new

Which sample library made you go "wow this is insanely good"?

@Rodney Money Please tell us more. Do you use it to double cello ensembles or in a different way? I’ve tried to bump it up an octave to use with violas, but that didn’t work for me. I also love the library.
I will mix it with the ensembles during legato melodic lines. To balance the 2 though I always have to bring down Tina until she blends effortlessly with the ensembles. In the 1st clip around :47 or so she is blended with the violas from CineStrings, but she is also blended with every other string voice starting with double basses, celli, violas, and 2nd violins for added expressiveness. Violin 1 went too high. It also helps to play in lines live when you can.

Do you mean the "Smart Violins" audio demo of Siedlaczek?
You can find it hear (click on the "Hear" button and then on the track:

https://www.bestservice.com/complete_orchestral_collection.html

Surprising how many demo tracks still sound not bad at all, for such an old library. It demonstrates that it is often the quality of the composer and how s/he knows how to use a library that is more important than buying the latest libraries.

You’re killing me.

It is indeed surprising how good it sounds. Thank you for digging this up. I’m doing the archaeology that led me to this thing in the first place, and I think it was Bestservice.de where I heard that promo. Sooo close.

Thank you so much. Really, this stuff is intelligently composed and miles beyond what was available at the time.

Greg

To balance the 2 though I always have to bring down Tina until she blends effortlessly with the ensembles.

Hi Rodney! Cool piece of music!

When you say you have to bring tina down, do you mean in volume? Or do you tinker with some other reverb or other effects to match your Teldex samples?

Hi Rodney! Cool piece of music!

When you say you have to bring tina down, do you mean in volume? Or do you tinker with some other reverb or other effects to match your Teldex samples?
Nothing more than bringing her down by the volume slider until I hear more of the ensemble than her. Then I will add Spaces Reverb to blend them such as SoCal or Berlin Church. I keep it simple. If you want to roll some lows off to get rid of rumble in the reverb and samples then go for it. I keep it way too simple. Thank you for the compliments. That little piece of music was simply an experiment trying to come up with a drone for my trumpet/ brass soloist concerto and experiment with Berlin Brass Mutes. I think that whole thing took me only around 45 minutes. All it is is one chord with some of the melodic motives of the piece I was trying to work on.

Here’s the exact moment where I had my wow moment with Berlin Woodwinds. I was working on a hymn or chorale for churches and schools’ concert bands/ marching bands when I changed all of my CineWinds to my new Berlin Woodwinds. The CineWinds were acting too solo like wanting all the attention of the mix where the Berlin Woodwinds were like, “We play as a family,” and it was more of the live and blended ensemble feel that I was going for.
https://app.box.com/s/7puhp9e2qnbzy47vrebfgu0ipr22wfdj

VSL Cube, and I had very high expectations for it!
(Non biased opinion since I didn't work with them back in the day :))

Reactions: Gil
Nothing more than bringing her down by the volume slider until I hear more of the ensemble than her. Then I will add Spaces Reverb to blend them such as SoCal or Berlin Church. I keep it simple. If you want to roll some lows off to get rid of rumble in the reverb and samples then go for it. I keep it way too simple. Thank you for the compliments. That little piece of music was simply an experiment trying to come up with a drone for my trumpet/ brass soloist concerto and experiment with Berlin Brass Mutes. I think that whole thing took me only around 45 minutes. All it is is one chord with some of the melodic motives of the piece I was trying to work on.

Sometimes the simplest way works the best and it´s a cool experiment.

The combo of muted brass and washed out reverb is very interesting.

The good old EWQLSO...some great recordings in there. Still very useful and great sounding.

LASS, when it came out. Never seen before playability.

Omnisphere, Uhe Diva

Evolution Series - World Percussion. Great set of samples, very useful mic posistions and very well programmed.

VI-labs Ravenscroft, Modern U, top notch piano libraries

EW Hollywood Strings. Great sound...the loading time sucks though (on my system, anyway)...

Cornucopia Strings. Great lush, dark sound, surprisingly useful....

Sonicuture: Grand Marimba, The Cantebury Suitcase

NoiseGuild: 24ToneGongs

Lots of Tarilonte's products (The ERA series, Shevannai)
GetGoodDrums MH signature pack (that snare sounds ridiculously good).
Heavyocity's percussion libraries (BOOM).
Albion ONE was my first hiqh quality library, so I was smiling the rest of the day like an idiot.
Spitfire Chamber Strings (Sooo good).
Hollywood Orchestra Gold.
Strezov's choirs.

I didn't realize what a gem at was at first until I started using it in projects, but holy cow...EW Voices of the Empire might be one of my most used libraries. Doing a show right now that needs a flavor similar to the "Vikings" series and I'm using it everywhere. It's an endlessly useful library.

Also, CSS instantly impressed me. Along with the adaptive legato patches in the SSO strings, but they do suck pretty bad for slow, lush legato passages.

Hollywood strings and brass sounded pretty incredible out of the gate. They still sound great.

HZ percussion. I mean, wow.

1. SA Sable strings. I still use it to mix with other string libs for that "extra" glow.
2. OT Berlin Woodwinds. Beautiful and very authentic.
3. Bechstein digital piano. Endorsed by the Bechstein company. Best piano library ever!
4. VSL Epic Orchestra 2.0. I recently purchased VEP 7. This library comes with it!

Top Bottom