What's new

Which Sample Libraries Have These Bowed/Waterphone Sounds?

musictheorist

musictheorist
I have heard of them on some animated TV show.

I've been trying to find which libraries/plug-ins have these samples, they seem to be specific like the Symphobia 1 rips.

Do you recognize any of these bowed/waterphone sounds and know what library these sounds are from as shown in the links I posted along?

If so, thanks.

Nick Batzdorf

AudioBro LADD and VSL are two that I know of.

I didn't listen to the recordings, however - I'm not in a place to make noise.

whitewasteland

I don't recognize these sounds specifically, but there are also beautiful waterphone sounds in Metropolis Ark 2. Your third example screams "Heavyocity" for me, as there are tons of one shot samples like this in Gravity and its first expansion pack.

poetd

Sounds mostly like waterphones, and the Soundiron one is the best I found.
The third could be a gong scrape, and there's some really nice ones of those in the NI Symphony Percussion (has good gong and cymbal bowings).

Duncan Krummel

Away from my computer, but I recall EW Stormdrum 3 having a significant collection of waterphone sounds. This included a lot of subtler tones in addition to the iconic screech (which are also without the overprocessed edge a lot of the libraries I’ve heard have).

Mark Schmieder

I'm about to head to a jazz gig so can only do a quick hit-and-run on this topic, but I know several of my library sources have sounds very similar to those audio snippets. With more time, I might even be able to identify which library they used.

BTW this is an extremely difficult instrument to play; I tried several recently and decided to stick to samples. :)

Anyway, I use waterharp a lot. Perhaps surprisingly, I rarely use the same library in more than a couple of projects, as I aim for uniqueness in each. Luckily, there are several good libraries, and I even had trouble coming up with "final" rankings as each has its unique strengths.

Note that the instrument goes by several names, and though water is involved, it was a guy whose last name was Water who came up with it and patented it (needs verification). I mostly see Waterharp and Waterphone. There may me copiers by now (so maybe it isn't patented).
  • Soniccouture Imogen Heap Box of Tricks (Kontakt)
  • Vienna Instruments
  • Ethno World (Kontakt)
  • Spitfire Hg2O (Kontakt)
  • Soundiron Waterharp (Kontakt)
  • BFD Percussion
  • Quantum Leap Stormdrum (Play)
  • EW Symphonic Orchestra (Play)
  • IK Multimedia Cinematic Percussion
  • Vir2 World Impact (Kontakt)
There isn't a bad one on the list, with only the bottom four perhaps being unnecessary if you have one or more in the list above that marker. Doubtless there are other libraries as well.

Last edited:
OP
musictheorist

musictheorist

musictheorist
I'm about to head to a jazz gig so can only do a quick hit-and-run on this topic, but I know several of my sources have sounds every similar to those audio snippets. With more time, I might even be able to identify which library they used.

BTW this is an extremely difficult instrument to play; I tried several recently and decided to stick to samples. :)

Anyway, I use waterharp a lot. Perhaps surprisingly, I rarely use the same library in more than a couple of projects, as I aim for uniqueness in each. Luckily, there are several good libraries, and I even had trouble coming up with "final" rankings as each has its unique strengths.

Note that the instrument goes by several names, and though water is involved, it was a guy whose last name was Water who came up with it and patented it (needs verification). I mostly see Waterharp and Waterphone. There may me copiers by now (so maybe it isn't patented).
  • Soniccouture Imogen Heap Box of Tricks (Kontakt)
  • Vienna Instruments
  • Ethno World (Kontakt)
  • Spitfire Hg2O (Kontakt)
  • Soundiron Waterharp (Kontakt)
  • BFD Percussion
  • Quantum Leap Stormdrum (Play)
  • EW Symphonic Orchestra (Play)
  • IK Multimedia Cinematic Percussion
  • Vir2 World Impact (Kontakt)
There isn't a bad one on the list, with only the bottom four perhaps being unnecessary if you have one or more in the list above that marker. Doubtless there are other libraries as well.
Sounds mostly like waterphones, and the Soundiron one is the best I found.
The third could be a gong scrape, and there's some really nice ones of those in the NI Symphony Percussion (has good gong and cymbal bowings).
I don't recognize these sounds specifically, but there are also beautiful waterphone sounds in Metropolis Ark 2. Your third example screams "Heavyocity" for me, as there are tons of one shot samples like this in Gravity and its first expansion pack.
The sounds likely came out during or before 2014. It's because the sound is used by TV composer Brian H. Kim, and it was first used in an animated show within the first episode copyrighted in 2014 (and it first aired in January 2015). That's the only clue I have, any sound library released in 2014 or before that year.

Top Bottom