What's new

Which piano for "Flight of the Pigeon" from Battlefield 1?

I haven’t looked into pianos before and thus don’t really know what’s out there. But in another thread someone recommended Emotional Piano for Thomas Newman style of music. I think that piano might work for the BF1 tune, check it out:

It has that soft, warm, cozy tone.

Reactions: CGR
I'd suggest Cinesamples Cinepiano (Steinway D), Chocolate Audio's O.D.D Piano (Yamaha C6) or the Xperimenta Due - 2nd Piano (a warm, full & resonant Yamaha C3).

I'd suggest Cinesamples Cinepiano (Steinway D), Chocolate Audio's O.D.D Piano (Yamaha C6) or the Xperimenta Due - 2nd Piano (a warm, full & resonant Yamaha C3).

Thanks for those suggestions. I just checked all three. The Xperimenta Due might come close with some reverb, but the other two don't come anywhere near what's in the video.

4:23

beginning

Thanks for those suggestions. I just checked all three. The Xperimenta Due might come close with some reverb, but the other two don't come anywhere near what's in the video.

4:23

beginning

The Xperimenta Due Piano 2 is a great option. The O.D.D demo video doesn't do that sampled piano justice. I bought it recently and it can get very close to the piano tone in that video, especially with the Dark mic set which uses some warm ribbon mics. Cinepiano is probably too 'scoring stage' sounding but can also be tamed compared to what is in the video walkthrough.

Last edited:
I am by no means an expert, but you may want to check out the EWQL Pianos as well as the Cinematic Studio Piano for that specific sound. (Something with a small stereo field, medium to hard action, etc.)

You could achieve this with even the old EWSO Steinway B (The stereo image is in a traditional A/B- nice and narrow) if you dial in the correct compression settings and reverb? Tweak your lower velocities in conjunction with your compression? You'll get that softer, cinematic flavor to the old EWSO in no time! But another great industry contender:(Even HZ I hear used this piano at one point in a score or ten? Right Hans? If you are reading ;p) Thomas Bergersen I hear used this piano a fair bit as well. It has a nice gentle cinematic quality! (Feel free to chime in Jay :P) It's an oldy but a goody! The old Artvista! Not too expensive either: https://www.artvista.net/malmsjo.html
Also along the lines of the suggested emotional piano, do check out the: https://heavyocity.com/product/ascend/
Lot's of great options :)
Hope this helps,
Best of luck!

Last edited:
I sent an email to Johan, and he was nice enough to respond!

It was the Synthogy American Grand. With some noise, and stuff :)

I sent an email to Johan, and he was nice enough to respond!

It was the Synthogy American Grand. With some noise, and stuff :)
Wow! That you actually had the guts to e-mail him is so cool! And also great that he responded of course.

I literally just jumped into bed with an iPad to check out the pianos people have been kind enough to suggest in this thread. But I’ll do it anyway. It’s interesting.

Thanks a lot mate!

FYI, here's a demo of the Chocolate Audio ODD piano from their website demo playlist. The library intentionally focusses on the ppp-mf dynamic range, so is ideal for that soft woody & resonant character.

Attachments

• EOT Cattaldo Choc Audio ODD Piano.mp3
    3.1 MB · Views: 29
FYI, here's a demo of the Chocolate Audio ODD piano from their website demo playlist. The library intentionally focusses on the ppp-mf dynamic range, so is ideal for that soft woody & resonant character.
Beautiful. I can easily see how it could be used in the Battlefield melody above. Several of the other pianos in this thread were also beautiful to listen to btw.

Reactions: CGR
Top Bottom