What's new

Which library to layer with Hollywood Strings?

Maestro1972

Hey guys and gals,

I am looking for a library to layer with Hollywood Strings. I have been seriously considering purchasing Berlin Strings and have been on the fence about it for quite some time. I know it gets rave reviews in the forum, but I am uncertain of how well the two libraries with sound layering them. I am looking to layer my strings to add that next level of realism, so I turn to you...

What library do you recommend layering with Hollywood Strings?

I haven't got B S but from demos I have seen and hered it seems you can't go wrong with them,

One note is that when you get them you probably will just use B S on there own there that good.

Spitfire Chamber Strings are perfect with HS. Since HS is already a big sounding library you want something that adds to it without adding the same weight. Spitfire being a very expressive library with far more adjustable parameters than HS really adds magic while taking away the sameness inherent in uniformly sampled libraries. The sound is far more breathing and live with the two together. Can't miss I would say.

Sable.
Berlin Strings is more of a library you would use instead of HS, or maybe for particular sections such as Cellos from BS, Violins from HS etc.
But if you are wanting to layer Violins with Violins, I'd recommend something that will add detail. A bit of sparkle and humanity. For that, Sable or perhaps another 'chamber' ensemble would be a good bet.

EDIT: Yeah... what Dave said.

Kirk Hunter's Concert Strings 2 adds a little grit to it when you want that. Concert Strings 3 sounds smoother with it.

I would say CSS sonically but the workflow is just so different from HS where Kirk's can be set up to work almost exactly like HS.

VSL Dimension Strings are another option. They are very good playable and controllable. I often use them as a carthorse in layering. They work like a club of first chairs.

Hey guys and gals,

I am looking for a library to layer with Hollywood Strings. I have been seriously considering purchasing Berlin Strings and have been on the fence about it for quite some time. I know it gets rave reviews in the forum, but I am uncertain of how well the two libraries with sound layering them. I am looking to layer my strings to add that next level of realism, so I turn to you...

What library do you recommend layering with Hollywood Strings?

Hi Maestro ,
although I have several String Libraries ( Berlin Strings , LA Scoring Strings , Cinestrings, CSS , VSL , and more ... ) I think it generally depends on the particular style of the string arrangement ( romantic , vivid , etc. ... ) that determines which (string) libraries actually blend well with each other .
I find it hard to point on one of those other libraries and say "that's the one that sounds best with HS!".

HS is my workhorse , my main String Library , and before I start searching for a second or third library that blends well with HS for a certain String arrangement, I try to go thru the various possibilities HS Diamonds offers :

1. How does it sound when I switch to another single Mic Position , or a certain combination of Mic Positions
( ... also : using Mic-Position XY for Violins 1 , but for Violins 2 a different Mic Position ; ... )
2. How does it sound when I replace the big sound Mic Positions with the Divisi Section ( - or simply add the Divisi-) and its possibilities to use the various combinations of A and B players ; etc.
3. How does it sound when I use the Sordino-EQ on one or two Instruments ; etc.

This way I keep my workflow with HS , and only then - if I'm not getting the sound I want - I start adding or replacing parts of the arrangement with other libraries . But most of the time a combination of the above mentioned steps alters the sound to my liking .

Best
Gerd

Last edited:
Berlin Strings is more of a library you would use instead of HS
That is what I was thinking as well.

Spitfire Chamber Strings are perfect with HS.
Spitfire was on my short list as well so I am glad that you recommended it.

VSL Dimension Strings are another option.
VSL, I know I am probably missing out, but VSL scares me. Their interface is so different from everyone else and to me appears more complex.

The Berlin Strings Special Bow Expansions work very well with HS.

Lawson, I couldn't agree more with you. I have the Special Bow Expansions and have had success with them, thus the inquiry about the main library. But I don't want to have two libraries that are so similar that there is no point in layering them. At the same time, I don't want two libraries that are so different that they sound unnatural when layering.

@Gerd Kaeding "ain't nobody got time for dat!" ;) I own HS Diamond and I would be interested in knowing more of how you use the different microphone positions...to be honest, I cannot hear that much of a difference between them with the exception of the close mics which I attribute to my limited knowledge of mixing. Do you route them to different faders with different reverbs? Do you...let me stop myself. I could ask a million questions about how you compose, route and mix hollywood strings and brass. So any great pearls of wisdom that you would like to impart my way,....I will take them!:2thumbs:

Just a quick note has any one tried layering strings with the same library, i am sure if you play live you can avoid the sonic clash it gives if you are auto timing, its just a thought i have not tried it my self but was wondering is this a practice that any one does.

Just a quick note has any one tried layering strings with the same library, i am sure if you play live you can avoid the sonic clash it gives if you are auto timing, its just a thought i have not tried it my self but was wondering is this a practice that any one does.
I've tried it, but I don't like it.

I actually find that the cut-down version of appassionata strings that comes with Epic Orchestra (included with VEPro) seems to work nicely with the close mics in HS. It is restricted in articulations but if it is to add an extra timbal quality I find it works well. Given that they were recorded dry it makes it easier to blend and place in the same space as the Hollywood Series.

Note - this is just my non-professional opinion.

Found a way to automate envelopes in both PLAY and Kontakt so I use HS and LASS live.
Saw a guy doing this live using a Kurzweil Forte LASS and Solid State Symphony.
It's even better adding PLAY and LASS.

I do layer Hollywood Strings with itself and I think it gives a fuller sound. So I have double of the articulation I use, Gr 1+ Gr 2. Gr 2 I transpose +1 in Play (thinking about "harder tensed" strings) and transpose -1 in Logic. Its a lot of work to set up but Im happy with the sound.

I do layer Hollywood Strings with itself and I think it gives a fuller sound. So I have double of the articulation I use, Gr 1+ Gr 2. Gr 2 I transpose +1 in Play (thinking about "harder tensed" strings) and transpose -1 in Logic. Its a lot of work to set up but Im happy with the sound.
Ok so this is practiced , glad to here it, as it gives more options with our librarys i guess it is a lot more work

Was it sonically unattractive, i suppose there is a big chance of this, so probably not a good idea wasting time with it
Actually, a lot of it depends on which patches within the library you're layering. Some different patches can sound great when stacked, but layering the same patch just seems to result in a volume boost, and sometimes the frequencies become overbearing. Good results are possible, but I would just rather stack two completely different string libraries together.

Top Bottom