What's new

Which library for Bach trumpet ?

is Bach trumpet synonymous with piccolo trumpet?
No, I'd assume he's referring to the style of playing on trumpet which was common in Bach's time. Trumpets didn't have valves yet, so in order to play any small intervals they had to play in the stratosphere in terms of partials.

No, I'd assume he's referring to the style of playing on trumpet which was common in Bach's time. Trumpets didn't have valves yet, so in order to play any small intervals they had to play in the stratosphere in terms of partials.
So, are there any sample libraries of valveless trumpets played in this manner? (I haven't checked out all the libraries mentioned so far in this thread, so it's possible that my question has already been answered.) Decades ago I heard the instrument referred to as the "baroque trumpet" rather than "Bach trumpet". I also heard that it was pitched higher than modern trumpets, which might explain why piccolo trumpets are pressed into service.

Last edited:
VSL's Historic Winds II includes 3 "natural trumpets" in Bb, C and D. The product description indicates that these are what we are talking about in this thread. Unfortunately they are not available separately; you have to buy the bundle, which also includes a cornett (an early instrument different from the modern cornet) and five crumhorns.

Last edited:
Indeed, Bach used a valveless trumpet, with a fairly narrow bore and very long (straight or coiled). One Very Interesting Fact is that the internal imperfections due to soldering many short sections of tubing actually helped the production of the higher partials.

For a long time there was only one such recording artist whose lips could play these partials reliably. He played in all the "historically informed" discs, and could probably not allow himself to play in a lower register. A full-time Brandebourgeois!

Top Bottom