What's new

Which is Your goto VI for analog synth sounds?

Fair enough; I have 50-100 ZebraHZ instances in my basic template, and only a handful of Diva, so maybe I'm "voting with my feet" in agreement with you?

And thanks for the kind words, Steve.

They're both super good. I do find myself reaching for Diva or Repro when I need something bread and butter "analog synth" over Zebra though, I must admit. Trying to actively use it more because I've been wrong on other synths like Omnisphere.

I'm huge fan of Repro. Here's the thing now though... you can buy Behinringers actual analog pro-1 for $350!!! I kind of want one of these haha.

I bought a Behringer Model D and sold it a month later. It sounds really awesome but having no presets makes it super inconvenient if you work on many things at the same time. Diva or The Legend are 90% there soundwise (if not more) so it didn't make sense for me to keep it.

Repro is even closer to the real thing.

These days I think the only big advantage of hardware is the immediacy of the controls.

I bought a Behringer Model D and sold it a month later. It sounds really awesome but having no presets makes it super inconvenient if you work on many things at the same time. Diva or The Legend are 90% there soundwise (if not more) so it didn't make sense for me to keep it.

Repro is even closer to the real thing.

These days I think the only big advantage of hardware is the immediacy of the controls.
I feel you, and you make a good point. For the longest time I mostly just used a 20 year old keyboard even though I had more stuff, and worked inside the box. I sold everything, and I'm down to a korg minilogue XD, and the Yamaha MODx which has turned out to be awesome. I use an NI Komplete Kontrol 49 most of the time for convenience.

I'm done buying stuff unless I get a cheap Behringer synth. The majority of the time I'm in a DAW using VST's. The korg stores presets - but sometimes I just sample really simple stuff and mangle the rendered audio. That's where this new Behringer stuff has an allure (Sh101, RD3, Pro1, Crave) because they are so freaking cheap that even if you are using plugins more, it's not hard to sample it.

I'm not saying it's the end all be all, especially workflow, but it's fun to have some real stuff sitting out, they do sound better than plugins even if only marginally, and they look cool.

I still search if something could replace P900 for me since i´m scared that it will not work one day. Good news that it still runs on macOS Catalina without any update for a long time.
There is still something with the included effects and (polyphonic) saturation which is even without any oversampling (but you also can use 2X, 4X or 8X if your cpu can handle it) more musical and full of "happy accidents" i get with no other software synth. Only which comes close sometimes are Repro, Moog Model D app and maybe Dune 3 but still not like P900.
I just love the gnarly and also soft timbres i can get out of it from the same presets just doing a few tweaks and connections.
F.e. these are mainly all tweaked from the same presets (my own default) and tweaked within a minute or so.

And a nice saturated analog acid arp from P900 (plus some extra external FX like Precedence and Replika-XT and a simple beat to go along while tweaking the preset a bit on the fly).

I still search if something could replace P900 for me since i´m scared that it will not work one day. Good news that it still runs on macOS Catalina without any update for a long time.
There is still something with the included effects and (polyphonic) saturation which is even without any oversampling (but you also can use 2X, 4X or 8X if your cpu can handle it) more musical and full of "happy accidents" i get with no other software synth. Only which comes close sometimes are Repro, Moog Model D app and maybe Dune 3 but still not like P900.
I just love the gnarly and also soft timbres i can get out of it from the same presets just doing a few tweaks and connections.
F.e. these are mainly all tweaked from the same presets (my own default) and tweaked within a minute or so.

And a nice saturated analog acid arp from P900 (plus some extra external FX like Precedence and Replika-XT and a simple beat to go along while tweaking the preset a bit on the fly).

Have you tried Bazille?

Have you tried Bazille?
Yes and while it is great P900 is just much better for me. Bazille has indeed some nice tricks for FM but the filters and saturation in P900 are unmatched for me. Maybe just me but there is no other synth which comes close when i think about analog sound. It could be of course my flavor.
At the same time is P900 more flexible for me and offers a much better reverb and delay on top (but you cannot modulate them in this case).
The saturation in P900 is also per voice like in Repro but a lot more useful and musical for my taste.
P900 is one of my 2 favorite synths i use 90% of the time in general (the other one is Alchemy and not the best for analog tones).

Yes and while it is great P900 is just much better for me. Bazille has indeed some nice tricks for FM but the filters and saturation in P900 are unmatched for me. Maybe just me but there is no other synth which comes close when i think about analog sound. It could be of course my flavor.
At the same time is P900 more flexible for me and offers a much better reverb and delay on top (but you cannot modulate them in this case).
The saturation in P900 is also per voice like in Repro but a lot more useful and musical for my taste.
P900 is one of my 2 favorite synths i use 90% of the time in general (the other one is Alchemy and not the best for analog tones).

Thanks for the comment. I'm going to keep the P900 in my radar. Probably get it in the next sale.

Soundiron Sonespheres 1-3 for me lately. Lots of great sounds, and versatility. Doesnt have the usual over-the-top tweaks in the patches, which imho makes it very useable out of the box. Just got Sonespheres 3, and look forward to implement it.

I also own Omnisphere 3 and the stuff in Komplete 12 Ultimate, which is great too, but Sonespheres has that warm, analog sound called for by the OP, imo.

Omnisphere 3 you say? :geek:

Oh I'd love to get my hands on that!

Most anyone here can do is 2.6...:P

Seriously though, there's plenty of sound in what you have. And I'm sure Sonespheres is a good one to have. But there's a joy to those inspiring sounds that come from a fully customizable synth patch. I still lose myself to them, sometimes for hours! :grin:

Yeah, sure Omni is great, and there is a bit of everything. Dont particularly think of it as “warm” though (except for a few patches). For me that is more than a technical boost in the low mids. Not many know Sonespheres, so I though it‘d be worth a mention. Its really good.

Mhh, seems my post get lost after the maintain thing. I try it again.
It seems my favorite synth for analog sounds get some new life and the developer(s) (it is under a new name/owner as well now) seems to plan the analog delay, plate reverb and output module (where you add the wonderful saturation) as FX version.
I would like the whole thing as FX but that would be a great start since i really love these 3 modules.
A simple preset (a mellow LFO on filter cutoff thingie) where i tweaked the delay, reverb and saturation a bit on the fly. Of course it is just a snippet of how the delay, reverb and saturation can sound. Again my personal flavor i like as well....

And one more again...mainly the same preset with different LFO settings with 2 delay modules and some good amount of the plate reverb module. Just held some chords and turn on (and back) the saturation a bit.
Class A in this case (P900 938 output module has 2 kind of saturation class A/B and class A).

The combo of this 3 modules is just really fantastic for me and has that organic/analog sound (at least for me) and i even prefer them maybe for these specific sounds over all my third party plug-ins.
Looking forward to it for sure.....

Fabfilter One is what I often go to for a straightforward 70s style synth sound. Very simple, no built in fx but sounds very solid if you know what I mean.

I like to go for the synths in UVI's Synth Anthology 2. Modern virtual synths may sound cleaner, easier to use in a modern context, but these are the real ones. Sampled, not modeled. Rougher, but so were the synth at that time.

Paolo

To get them to really get bigger like Diva’s Oscillators you saturate the sound using XMF Filter Drive. I tried used Distortion FX and it’s nasty digital crap IMHO.
So get the big analog type sound inside the 4 OSC + XMF Heirarchy, then run that fat shit through the Diva Filters.

Hey @chimuelo

1596835064521.png

Or a demo or something :)

My demos are years old and original fusion jazz nobody likes much.

But I could send a preset that uses a really slow Attack and just gurgles and grinds the low end something awful.

The reason I really like Zebra2/HZ is because most synths sound good in the midrange, and are mezzo-mezzo in the low end. Sure they can boom, but I like that Straubs/Rush/Headhunters resonanting Drone filter sweep.

It’s the Josef Zawinul 2600 sound used at the intro of Lusitanos from the Tale Spinnin‘ album by Weather Report, except I extended it and added a Filter Sweep once I captured the triple waveform setting. You can put the filter resonance on zero for the original patch.

Same Sound is used at the end of Dr. Bennie Maupins Sax solo on the Song Butterfly from the album Thrust by Herbie Hancock.
They Sound great in recordings but live they light The PA on fire and give you goose bumps.

Top Bottom