What's new

Which is Your goto VI for analog synth sounds?

One i don't see mentioned here (or few other places) is Psychic Modulation's Phonec. I recently bought an issue of Computer Music where the CM version is included, and even the downscaled CM version has blown me away! I will most likely upgrade to the full version at some point, because even the downscaled version is so capable!

Can Serum do warm-ish sounds? It seems to be used for harsher stuff...
Serum can be whatever you want it to be as you can import wavetables from synths, make your own wavetables, and resample its output to a new wavetable... Has nice filters as well with lots of classic and unique shapes... It can be warm and vintagey in addition to being modern, it's a lot more than just an EDM synth...

Serum can be whatever you want it to be as you can import wavetables from synths, make your own wavetables, and resample its output to a new wavetable... Has nice filters as well with lots of classic and unique shapes... It can be warm and vintagey in addition to being modern, it's a lot more than just an EDM synth...

Ok...I guess I knew that. I should have asked if anyone knew of any examples of Serum, organic-y, etc...

Let's not forget:

https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_collection/lineup.php

...includes ARP Odyssey, PolySix, MS-20

(they all sound pretty great in their iOS versions as well!)

For warm and fat analog sound there is nothing better than Superwave Performer. 16 oscillators does the job.

Of course for precision modeled synthesizers, I think Arturia wins.

Ok...I guess I knew that. I should have asked if anyone knew of any examples of Serum, organic-y, etc...
Serum has some really nice vintagey filters, it also has has all of the other tools you'd need to give it a little bit of analog instability... After that, it's basically about using the nicest vintage wavetables you can find, or export from some of your favorite VIs...

This should give be you a nice jumping off point in terms of adding a little bit of instability...
https://www.adsrsounds.com/serum-tutorials/how-to-make-serum-sound-more-vintage/

The video below should give you the overall idea...

A few more thing you can try take it further are...

Export or record some oscillator cycles from a few vintage emulations or sample libraries (Uno-X, Omnisphere's vintage wavetables, UVI/Syntronik/etc sampled vintage instruments etc...) There are also some vintage wavetables for Serum floating around out there as well, (not sure if any of them are properly licensed though...)

Use a noise LFO instead of a Sine, set with the slightest depth, ultra slow, on a few random parameters for more instability...

Roll off top end above 12k-ish with any of Serums filters or high shelving EQ.

Use key tracking to trigger the slight amounts of randomness as you change keys.

Sample, export, or track down some lofi noise. (Tape machines, cassettes, shitty converters, etc), and use them as Serum's noise oscillator... If you wanr to get more authentic you can modulate its level, pitch, keytracking, and/or start point so it behaves with tiny amounts of variable lofi noise...

And, if you want add another layer of crust... TAL has a snazzy little lofi sampler converter emulation plugin... TAL-DAC. (Free if you have TAL Sampler). XLN's RC-20 is great too. (One of my favorite choices for giving something a little stale crust around the edges...)

Last edited:
Maybe old thread but i´m still amazed how much i like the P900 software above all other synths for the analog/organic feeling. I just felt in love again and got lost just making presets and playing around. There is something i miss about "feeling alive" in most other synths (even hardware). For me it is even above synths like Repro and The Legend and much more versatile at the same time (since it is a modular)
3 layered presets (with a bit help from Replika XT, Precedence and Breeze 2 to set it into space).

Works also well with a beat behind it:

Last edited:
Agree! Was pleasantly surprised when PlugInGuru released new lib recently for Monark. :cool:

Monark is killer, just a bit of a learning curve when programming (which consists mainly of getting used to the rawther idiosyncratic gui).

Wait, I forgot to mention...the presets can be both a lot of fun and very inspiring.

Were I to choose between the two, though, I'd have to concede to Diva.

Thanks for many great suggestions! Did anyone here try the PolyKB II?
In the top of my list, with no doubt!
V'got a pretty unique character.
Sounds huge.
Not exactly a simple one to tame though.
On the opposite side, this one is pretty simple to program and'v got quite a vibes.
https://www.psychicmodulation.com/phonec.html
Another one I'm always coming back to is ArcSynth.
One page UI and amazingly versatile.
A pleasure to program (for me at least).
https://www.spcplugins.com

Last edited:
Top Bottom