What's new

Which Felt Piano should I get?!

Maxfabian

Hi everybody, I would love to get some suggestions here! I need a felt piano for something I am working on and wondering what your best suggestion is? Some of you will maybe recommend Noire but I don't like the tone of that one regarding the demos. It is leaning towards Una Corda or Woodchester... but which one do you recommend or do you have any other felt pianos in mind that I missed? Would really appreciate some help here:)

Cheers!

Max

Make sure you check out the spitfire labs (free) soft piano.

I especially love the Olafur piano myself. But the spitfire Simcock, though perhaps a little less ... I don't know "Icelandic" or something ... is also great (especially if you can wait for the next wishlist sale).

Hi everybody, I would love to get some suggestions here! I need a felt piano for something I am working on and wondering what your best suggestion is? Some of you will maybe recommend Noire but I don't like the tone of that one regarding the demos. It is leaning towards Una Corda or Woodchester... but which one do you recommend or do you have any other felt pianos in mind that I missed? Would really appreciate some help here:)

Cheers!

Max

Olafur Arnalds Felt, Simcock, Woodchester. I'm just about the buy Native Instruments Noire which I believe could be better than all the rest

Others, Una Corda is beautiful and Spitfires free Labs Felt Piano

The Noire is indeed very good piano - made by the galaxy instruments and they were sampling pianos for decades. Noire is indeed a felt piano but also one that can double as a normal 9ft grand with its pure preset! There is also the "particle" engine which is pretty neat for rhythmic clouds and other spitfire-ish shenanigans. I think it would be my best suggestion now without much thinking.
If I can buy only one piano, it would be now the Noire.

Last edited:
You wrap each hammer in felt, not the whole piano :) Sometime they just place felt sheet between the hammer and strings if they can't or don't want to mess with the piano too much. The benefit of Noire is that you have both samples pure and felt and you can basically dial your tone with slider anyway you wish.

Last edited:
Purely based on the many demos, I agree with Max, the OP, regarding the tone of Noire.

Would definately take instead Olafur Arnalds Felt, or Galaxy Studio's own Steinway Vintage D.
If you open both in Kontakt, and optionally adjust ADSR, you can just as with Noire dial in the tone of your liking. Or the amount of felt so to say.

Purely based on the many demos, I agree with Max, the OP, regarding the tone of Noire.

Would definately take instead Olafur Arnalds Felt, or Galaxy Studio's own Steinway Vintage D.
If you open both in Kontakt, and optionally adjust ADSR, you can just as with Noire dial in the tone of your liking. Or the amount of felt so to say.
I don't own Noire, but do own the Galaxy Vintage D, which I doubt will get you anywhere near the felted sample set tone of Noire, regardless of what you adjust, and it seems the particle engine in Noire is a whole other sonic world.

I have both Spitfire’s Symcock (my very first sample instrument purchase!) and the Olafur Arnald’s Composer Toolkit’s Grand Felt.

I like them both but very different sounding
When composing or improvising, I lean toward the Symcock. I find it a bit better defined (I like the mic selection on that one).

I also heard that Pianoteq had a few presets for felt, but they do require their Pro version. So I don’t have experience there.

Cheers!

Una Corda is lovely. It can do a great many things. However, Noire really offers more options that can get really lavish. I love the sound and tone of Noire. Una Corda is a thinner sound overall.

You don't like the tone of a $200 000 Yamaha CFX Concert Grand????!!!! Then, I think there really is nothing to satisfy you. Noire is incredible sounding.

Hope I'm not missing any irony here, but since when is the cost of an instrument the deciding factor of its subjective (sound) quality?
There are quite a few (pro) pianists that prefer playing other models, dependent of the venue or style of music. Each to their own I would say.

You don't like the tone of a $200 000 Yamaha CFX Concert Grand????!!!! Then, I think there really is nothing to satisfy you. Noire is incredible sounding.
I am sure that the real grand piano they sampled is excellent and sounds wonderful, but to be honest I think the sound from the demo doesn't really convince me. When playing fast the transitions sound fake to my ears, but this is off course in my humble opinion. If I had liked the tone I would have bought it. I like more the Woodchester and Una Corda. They convince me the most at the moment.

Cheers:)

Top Bottom