Which Celesta?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Kurosawa, May 22, 2019.

1. Kurosawa

Kurosawa Member

Sep 15, 2018
    I'm currently on the search for a good celesta with a soft "magical" melancholic sound to it.

I was looking at Spitfire Percussion, but the sale is over. That is why I am looking for a standalone celesta now.

At the moment I have an eye on Cinesamples Randy's Celeste and Sonokinetic's Celesta.

The VSL one is also great, but I am not willing to purchase and use a USB stick for it.

Any experiences and/or recommendations?

Greetings

Kuro

2. SoundChris

SoundChris Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Germany
    I have got both - the Sonokinetic´s and Randy´s. Personally I prefer Randy´s because of it´s magical sound. The instrument and player which has been recorded seem to be the ones John Williams used for his Harry Potter score if I remember correctly. The Sonokinetic´s isnt bad and also can shine in many situations. But like I said: For me Randy´s exactly nails that "signature" cinematic / Tschaikowsky-Style Celesta sound. And it is the softest and most melancholic vst of that instrument that I have heared so far.

Kurosawa likes this.
  3. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I think you can authorize the computer without using a USB stick.

Attached Files:

Kurosawa likes this.
  4. Manuel Stumpf

Manuel Stumpf Active Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Not all licenses allow activation to a "soft" e-licenser. As far as I know VSL licenses do not work without physical dongle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

dsblais likes this.
  5. Joe Totino

Joe Totino New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Oddly enough I find the Sonokinetic one to be super noisy on certain notes. It hasn't been a huge issue in context of the mix, but overall I like the tone. The one in CinePerc PRO is also pretty nice!

Kurosawa likes this.
  6. bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Check out the new by chocolate audio. If I didn't have the VSL one I would go for that.

Kurosawa likes this.
  7. The new library by Chocolate Audio is very nice indeed.
    I also love the free Celesta by Noiiz , used it on an entire Elfman inspired album and it worked very well.

Kurosawa likes this.
  8. mikefrommontreal

mikefrommontreal Active Member

Jan 6, 2015
    The VSL is ok, but is usually a little bright for my needs. My go-to is the Pianoteq one.

9. Dietz

Dietz Space Explorer

Which one - Vienna Instruments or Synchron Instruments? The latter sounds nicely rounded, to my ears. (... and before you ask: No, I didn't record it ;) ...)

10. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    I wont want to talk about it. I'm not a massive fan of what I've seen from the synchron series, but I've been eyeballing that celesta for a long time(but not a 400$ long time)

Kurosawa and whitewasteland like this.
  11. Mike Fox

Mike Fox Senior Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Spitfire Perc has the best one, imo. It certainly has that "magic" going on (i think it was actually used in Harry Potter?).

But that library is overpriced. I'd wait for a sale.

Kurosawa likes this.
  12. rottoy

rottoy Plebeian

May 12, 2013
    Randy's Celeste is a celesta mixed with a custom DX7 sine wave patch, isn't it?

13. holywilly

holywilly Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Celeste from EW Hollywood Percussion sounds very nice, worth check it out.

14. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I haven't heard the latter, but the VI one is fabulous. (The one from the Special Edition.)

The one in EastWest Goliath, which I believe is also in the old EWQLSO library, is very good too. Totally different from the VSL one, though.

15. ProfoundSilence

Dec 10, 2018
    yes, based on what JW uses.

and Nick, the synchron celeste looks like a dream to play - I think it has like 16 velocity layers?

Kurosawa and Nick Batzdorf like this.
  16. NoamL

NoamL Winter <3

Jul 6, 2015
    Los Angeles
    I keep going back to the Cinesamples one. Maybe because I loved JW's score so much. That just became the sound of celesta for me. Actual "Real life" celestas feel too pingy and metal.

Kurosawa likes this.
  17. ProfoundSilence

Dec 10, 2018
    *stares in Tchaikovsky*

NoamL likes this.
  18. bzyboy

bzyboy New Member

Jan 2, 2019
    +1 for Randy's Celeste, I think it sounds amazing

19. jeffc

jeffc Active Member

Keyscape is the most versatile to me.

20. jon wayne

jon wayne Active Member

Oct 4, 2005
    I gotta say that the celeste that comes with the UVI Keyboard Suite is very usable. I found the Sonokinetic celeste to have way too much hiss.

Kurosawa likes this.