What's new

Which “Standard” DAW should I learn?

I’m a Mac head and have been one for well over 100 years (okay, since the late 80s.) I’ve also been using Cubase since 1997. I get along with it ok, but my advice for anyone who wants to stay on Mac is to learn Logic and ProTools. Logic, because I believe it’s the most CPU efficient on Mac, and ProTools, because it’s the embedded industry standard and I think it will remain so for quite a while.

This is interesting what features does it have that are so different from other DAWs
Everything is VST. I had trouble figuring out how to hook up the audio because it is VST.

You have to basically highlight the midi sections to be allowed to edit it. I open the piano roll in PT and draw in midi wherever I want it and the instrument will play. With Cubase, I've highlighted a bar, edited it, realized I want to edit the next bar now, and I have to go back and highlight the next bar to edit it. It's very weird to me how much of a pain it can be.

When inserting an instrument or effect, they don't all show up. You have to use the search box, though it will start putting the regularly used ones in the pop-up after a while.

I'm sure there are other things. I do love the Chord Track.

then tell why over the last year or so, all the audio related job offers required Nuendo knowledge, and not Pro-tools or even Reaper? (why would they do that, if nuendo is barely used?)
Why are there behind the scene articles and interviews on the webs, that talk about nuendo use with the studios?
why are there even photos to be found, that show monitors with nuendo running?

Because some of Ubi's smaller European studios, like Berlin and Dusseldorf, do use Nuendo and they have been hiring aggressively. That doesn't mean that most of the hundreds of sound people at the 30+ Ubi studios around the world use Nuendo.

so pardon me if i doubt that ubi uses reaper more than nuendo throughout all their studios.

No worries, doubt away. I just commented on a piece of incorrect information, but I'm not interested in convincing anyone. Peace!

This CineSamples poll result may be of interest

Funny how they list those 6 DAWs as most popular omitting Studio One, but yet their (email) comment under it says:

"Logic and Cubase are still the preferred DAW's of choice for most composers. Do you agree? What do you think about Studio One that is rapidly becoming a proven tool in the hands of music creators? What do you use and would you change to a new DAW? Let us know and see what other's are saying. "

I think Studio One is more popular than DP10 these days honestly.

Only if you’re on Instagram, apparently.

I don't know if the poll was conducted on Instagram or offline. Either way, it has over a billion users worldwide, so, even if it was conducted there, I'm sure they managed to get one or two responses.

Funny how they list those 6 DAWs as most popular omitting Studio One, but yet their (email) comment under it says:

"Logic and Cubase are still the preferred DAW's of choice for most composers. Do you agree? What do you think about Studio One that is rapidly becoming a proven tool in the hands of music creators? What do you use and would you change to a new DAW? Let us know and see what other's are saying. "

I think Studio One is more popular than DP10 these days honestly.

I guess based on their surveying, S1 wasn't popular enough for the top 6 spots. If they run the poll 12-24 months from now, that may change depending on what Presonus do.

I use DP on a Mac for more than 30 years. I feel each DAW can get the job done so tryout demos and see which you gravitate towards. Cubase seems to rule PC and Logic Pro on the Mac, though lots of ole timers like me prefer DP the most. I don’t think one can mess this decision up.

Pro tools is the only one you need to know. It's the standard for most studios recording-wise. As far as composing, everyone is different so it will be all about who you work for. If you had to pick a second I'd say logic because most studios also use logic per client request and it's one of the most popular DAWs overall.

It may not be something you really need to worry about. It's kind of like asking today, what Kentucky Derby horse should I pick in 2023. See how your career progresses and what direction it takes. In a few years you will be able to answer your own question.

I understand that when your young you want to get a leg up and do everything right. But there are plenty of other things to learn. And if and when the time comes that you have start using a new DAW, you'll be able to adjust.

Learn whatever will get the job done first. Then if you ever need to switch for a reason, just switch. Demo all. Studios don’t care what you use for composing. They only care about how you deliver the stems.

Last edited:
When you finished school, everybody will use Studio One ;)

For sure not, but I think time will change the software in some studios and new studios will popup and they will consider Studio One as their main way.

Some older software might also be frustrating and you should not hang too long in a frustrating loop, because of a legacy software. There is so much to learn in a DAW and the logic behind you can usually find also in other DAWs but with a different way.

Means there are 2 parts of using a DAW:
1. Knowing what to do in general
2. Knowing how to do this in a specific DAW

... and the first aspect is universal and required for any DAW.

So I agree to others saying, keep going with Studio One as it is great and you will learn a lot and later moving to any different DAW will be possible and easier if you know already a lot. As it takes a lot of time to learn a DAW and that works only by realy using it, it would take you too much time to be prepared for a change of an alternative DAW - who knows ... if you decide learning Logic today, the studio may expect knowledge in Studio One tomorrow.

My own history is:
1. Maschine - and was frustrated about the limits
2. Reaper - It was too frustrating to me as well
3. Studio One - wow, now I am in a flow and happy and can concentrate on making music - love it!

Like a programming language many principles carry over between DAWs, and eventually when switching software it shouldn't take more than a week to gain some semblance of proficiency.

It's not like Studio One isn't professional-grade software.
This!

Def. ProTools, this is still the most used DAW in the pro audio industry, not knowing your way around it can put you at a disadvantage when applying for internships, assistant jobs etc...

Top Bottom