What's new

Where to get that 'schwing' sound?

MaschineMind

Pro Crastinator
I don't think I'm going to be able to explain this very well, but here goes.

I've been looking for a 'schwing' sound. To me, it sounds like a sword being removed from its holster. It's used a lot in documentaries and also featured a lot in Hells Kitchen.

I thought it might be a bowed piece of metal, like a bowed cymbal but I've gone through all of my metal libraries and can't find the sound. I also bought Impact Soundworks Steel to see if it was in there but to no avail.

Anyone know a library that features this sound? I can try to find an example.

@Kuusniemi thanks, that's helpful but I don't think the sound is literally a sword, it just vaguely sounds like one being scraped against something.

Edit: just found out the instrument is called a Waterphone.

@KallumS you're probably not talking about this sample, but it is used in pretty much everything, and certainly sounds like a "schwing":

This one's not a waterphone though, it's just a processed bowed cymbal.
(For anyone interested, this is the "Rusty Spoke" sample from Spectrasonics Distorted Reality 2, which is now part of Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.)

Last edited:
I want to say there's some waterphone samples in stormdrum 2 or something.... I've only every had it via the composer cloud and all those misc. percussion libraries are a blur to me so look around....

I want to say there's some waterphone samples in stormdrum 2 or something.... I've only every had it via the composer cloud and all those misc. percussion libraries are a blur to me so look around....
Yep, Stormdrum 2 has quite a few. Symphonic Orchestra does as well.

Using a frequency shifter (different from pitch shifter) can help turn a little acoustic guitar scrape into that schwing sound.

Top Bottom