What's new

Where are you from? And what is your stereotype?

I’m Swedish and I always look through the peephole before exiting my apartment, to avoid the risk of running into my neighbors having to socialize.
Does the peephole have a high-powered telescope in it? I ask because my Swedish colleague told me that the next house is two mountains away, so the only way to spot a neighbour is to look through your binoculars, and search for ski tracks ...

I'm British! I greet everyone with a "What ho!", and take my tea from the finest china (Sticking my little finger to let you know I'm not one of the plebeians). You'll know I'm about to speak, because I'll announce it by saying, "I say...".
After a few rounds of croquet I'll tune in to watch Mr. Cholmondley-Warner and dine on cucumber sandwiches (crust removed), washed down with lashings of ginger beer.

Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 09.57.34.png

Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 09.58.59.png
Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 10.18.55.png

It's all true! 😂

I'm french and honoring this thread as I'm currently eating baguette + goat cheese with a glass of red wine... (6:30 pm here, apéritif time)

I also love to queue, and hate queue jumping with a passion.
I can confirm that. Last time I was in England, I could exactly observe what you said.

My wife was pregnant and had a serious "problem" (won't go into detail, was not so nice). We had to go to hospital. Of course we as foreigners could also get treatment, we had an EU health coverage. So we were sat into a waiting room with other "severe" cases (an old lady with a sprained finger et al). It was our turn when exactly every single one that was before us there had their treatment. Sorry, the old lady with the sprained finger was there before you, a pregnant mother crying, thinking she will lose her child, has to wait for her turn.
And yes, the staff that treated my wife was the same as the one of the old lady that got home in time for her tea with her finger nicely bandaged. And it was just a student that did it. No real doctor.
And no, we couldn't get treatment anymore, the ultrasound staff had already finished work (just half an hour ago). In a major hospital for a whole region there is no one after 1800 who can use an ultrasound. No emergency staff. Nothing. We had to make an appointment for next day.
That's how weird the queue-rules in England sometimes go. o_O

Apart from that it was a really nice holiday. I enjoyed driving on the left with my steering on the left. Nice boat, Admiral Nelson commanded 220 years ago. ;)

The child I've narrated of above now comes to school in summer, enjoys learning to play the piano and the guitar. And has already composed her second small melody. :inlove:
So no grudge against the English. I still love them as ever. :thumbsup:

I'm from Germany, but from a special region in the south, where the Swabians live (search for the Seven Swabians by Brothers Grimm :grin:). The other Germans have a stereotype about us: "Schaffe, spare, Häusle baue". Would sound strange in English: "Work, save your money, build a house".
People say, we tend to work. Just that. Nothing else. No fun. Just work. The whole day. The whole life. To get that house built.
And no one can understand, what we are saying. A bit similar to the people in Northern Switzerland.

I'm trying to work not that much to not fulfill the stereotype (because I did build the house already, damn). But it is like with instrument libraries: There is just one customer left. Just one telephone call. Just one order to fulfill. Then I'm done. Oh, it's already 2300. Damn, I wanted to compose but now I'm too tired. But I can learn a bit in bed. What's Guy Michelmore telling me about? Oh, I'm already asleep... :roflmao:

There is a film by Oliver Hirschbiegel (who made Downfall/Der Untergang) about an important Swabian that nearly changed the world, but only few know about him: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1708135/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
Music by David Holmes (Ocean's 11-13, Hunger).

Last edited:
Top Bottom