What's new

When will vibrato be highly controllable?

Yeah, Vielklang shows the squiggles which is enough for non-scientific "oh, it does this" analysis, but for gathering statistics on larger numbers of vibrato examples, finding correlations between players etc. it does not seem capable of exporting the data AFAIK.

Try asking Kanru Hua, the developer of Synthesizer V. He might have developed his own tools instead of using something off the shelf, but I know he's crowdsourced solo vocal legato etc. data for analysis.

That’s interesting, because it does have vibrato information and the ability to add or subtract vibrato (I’ve used it a few times, works great), just no midi output of that info. Perhaps in an update...
Yeah, that does seem like a glaring omission. But I guess that market for extracting imperfections is super niche compared to all the people who just wanna correct and "perfect" their takes. Still hoping for that feature to make its way into Melodyne 5 though.

As far as I know, there’s not a whole lot you can do with vibrato other than none, some, and all, at least in Spitfire anyway. The nuances of vibrato are one of the most important things to human expression. Are we getting close to this, or are we already there and I just don’t know about it?
Actually used an instrument for a piece today that you may want to try out if you don't have it. "Passion Flute" from Orangetree has settings for Vibrato speed, Vibrato Depth, and Vibrato Delay (how long before the vibrato starts)- haven;t seen the last one on many instruments- genius! I realize the vibrato is fake (works fine on flute but not every instrument), but the most versitile flute I have that sounds real. 5 mics, auto legato and shorts (no keyswitching), several dynamics including hard jazz type blowing, key noises, triggered blowing sound, And auto "performer breaths" when between lines. It does so much I'm really surprised they haven't made more instruments in this style.

And during sales I've seen it for as little as $52.

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 4.48.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 4.49.18 PM.png

simulated vibrato exists in plenty of libraries, however nothing particularly sophisticated is sampled.

best case is using something like capsule to cross fade between vibrato typed longs.

simulated vibrato doesn't sound good on ensemble samples for pretty obvious reasons

playable vibrato on modelled instruments can be excellent, especially using a roli or similar controller

This app for iPad is really incredible:

Exciting video. I am really interested in the "slide" after 0:34. If you want the pitch to fall or rise gradually, pitch bend is very limited. But this seems to be a fluent connection of different notes by a slide which can be performed / controlled freely without pitch bend... Infinitely variable, completely controllabe pitch. This would be great for more contemporary compositions.

Is this possible with sample based libraries? Are there contact libraries that can do this?

Exciting video. I am really interested in the "slide" after 0:34. If you want the pitch to fall or rise gradually, pitch bend is very limited. But this seems to be a fluent connection of different notes by a slide which can be performed / controlled freely without pitch bend... Infinitely variable, completely controllabe pitch. This would be great for more contemporary compositions.

Is this possible with sample based libraries? Are there contact libraries that can do this?

kind of with Chris hein

swam with roli works well

this is roli playing vibrato manually

this example doesn't sound quite as good, but the portamento/vibrato is obviously excellent with this combination.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion! I also have Melodyne, and you're right - only problem is that it only sends out midi notes - not PB data. For sample analysis I know what each note is, but I would really like to get my hands on the pitch variation data.
Are you sure? Cubase has audio to midi built-in and it can optionally create pitch bend data. I’m not so sure it would handle a fast vibrato well though, but haven’t tried

I went back and gave Cubase's Vibrato insert another go. It's actually pretty good and I managed (more or less) to create a decent vibrato performance from a non-vib instrument.

Are you sure? Cubase has audio to midi built-in and it can optionally create pitch bend data. I’m not so sure it would handle a fast vibrato well though, but haven’t tried
Yeah. It apparently used to be a feature in earlier versions of Melodyne but has, rather inexplicably, been removed in later versions.

You're right about Cubase. I realized (waaay too late - should've looked at the stuff I own before going on a crazy hunt :) ) that VariAudio does this. So far it's the best solution - even if the interface is wonky and impractical compared to Melodyne.

Top Bottom