What's new

When will vibrato be highly controllable?

coffeecomposer

As far as I know, there’s not a whole lot you can do with vibrato other than none, some, and all, at least in Spitfire anyway. The nuances of vibrato are one of the most important things to human expression. Are we getting close to this, or are we already there and I just don’t know about it?

If the vibrato is recorded in the samples the most that you can do (without some kind of weird time stretching) is fade it in and fade it out. If the vibrato is created artificially through modelling (usually using LFOs) then you can control the amount, speed, and the effect it has on timbre, volume, and pitch. So it depends on the approach used in a particular library.

The Audio Modeling strings are a good example of some of the pitfalls of more complicated vibrato modeling. The instruments take two parameters -- rate and depth -- instead of just one. But a lot of people who play the instruments in realtime don't even use the vibrato controls and prefer to fake vibrato by combining pitch bend and expression. This is because it's difficult to map the actual vibrato parameters to a physical controller in a way that gives you a 1:1 correspondence with actual performed vibrato, whereas it's fairly easy to get acceptable 1:1 results by performing pitch bends/expression.

The problem, of course, with capturing vibrato by combining pitch bend and expression is that you're contaminating two parameters that also have to be used for other purposes, which makes editing the performance after the fact extremely difficult.

I've successfully used custom scripting to map repeated key strikes on a sustained note to vibrato rate and depth which allows me to capture 1:1 performed vibrato using the actual vibrato parameters, but it's kind of an ordeal to set up. I think the ideal situation would be for instruments to have the built-in capability of extracting accurate rate/depth data from a sine wave on a single parameter (totally possible; I've scripted it before), which would let you easily perform 1:1 vibrato on a single CC parameter with a physical controller.

As far as I know, there’s not a whole lot you can do with vibrato other than none, some, and all, at least in Spitfire anyway. The nuances of vibrato are one of the most important things to human expression. Are we getting close to this, or are we already there and I just don’t know about it?
As d.healey said, there are two types. Check out the Embertone solo string libraries like Blakus or Friedlander for a good example of modelled vibrato where you can continuously vary the speed and amount, and can select from a variety of vibrato types. For a simulated vibrato it is very well implimented. Many other libraries have this capability too.

When I read this, I was thinking about a library with keyswitches, that instead of usual various articulations trigger different types and levels of vibrato, that you can crossfade with modwheel (modwheel down = no vibrato -sample, modwheel up = plays a sample with the vibrato type/depth/intensity that has been selected through keyswitching).

Does such a library exist? Is it possible to make such a thing (playable)?

Last edited:
When I read this, I was thinking about a library with keyswitches, that instead of usual various articulations trigger different types and levels of vibrato, that you can crossfade with modwheel (modwheel down = no vibrato -sample, modwheel up = plays a sample with the vibrato type/depth/intensity that has been selected through keyswitching).

Does such a library exist? Is it possible to make such a thing (playable)?

Berlin's Capsule engine lets you crossfade between articulations with a CC. The strings have a few different types of sampled vibrato for the longs. Not sure about the other instruments.

Of course, you could theoretically do that with any instrument with different recorded vibrato types just poking around under the hood in Kontakt.

Though perhaps I misunderstand what you mean.

It's not that hard for solo instruments if you want to use 5-6 parameters. It's hard to get the number of parameters down to something playable.

I need to get around to documenting how I emulate solo instrument vibrato with some specifics for sax (vibrato mostly goes below the main pitch, diaphragm vibrato on quiet notes means very prominent breath noise when the note volume dips etc.) and guitar (trem bridges bend different strings by different amounts, making chords all wobbly, string bends can only go up while some bridges only go down).

The one thing that I'd really like to model is ensemble vibrato - how the members kind of follow each other but aren't perfectly in sync, when it comes to both phase and depth. Not there yet, but if you ever assemble a section one member at a time, such as via transposition trick, this becomes essential. Spot-miking everyone in a violin section playing something cheesy, and analyzing them individually.

Spot-miking everyone in a violin section playing something cheesy, and analyzing them individually.
Interesting ideas!
What do you use for analyzing the audio? I've been on the lookout for something that can extract pitch-data and export it to midi or some numerical format. Still haven't found anything, so I'm building a Reaktor ensemble that can do something like this, but it's not ideal.

For monophonic pitch data, I use Zplane Vielklang of all things - it's meant for totally other things but I happen to have it, it does this well, and shows all the bends and wiggles nicely.

Great - thanks! I even have Vielklang lying around and kinda forgot about it - but it doesn't seem like it can export the pitch data, just midi notes. Or have you found a clever way?

Interesting ideas!
What do you use for analyzing the audio? I've been on the lookout for something that can extract pitch-data and export it to midi or some numerical format. Still haven't found anything, so I'm building a Reaktor ensemble that can do something like this, but it's not ideal.
Melodyne will extract pitch from any audio and send out midi info. Works as a plugin for any daw. ;)

You do need to have Melodyne assistant, editor, or studio.
(broken link removed)

Last edited:
Melodyne will extract pitch from any audio and send out midi info. Works as a plugin for any daw. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion! I also have Melodyne, and you're right - only problem is that it only sends out midi notes - not PB data. For sample analysis I know what each note is, but I would really like to get my hands on the pitch variation data.

Thanks for the suggestion! I also have Melodyne, and you're right - only problem is that it only sends out midi notes - not PB data. For sample analysis I know what each note is, but I would really like to get my hands on the pitch variation data.
That’s interesting, because it does have vibrato information and the ability to add or subtract vibrato (I’ve used it a few times, works great), just no midi output of that info. Perhaps in an update...

Top Bottom