1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When media composers write concert works

Discussion in 'Composition, Orchestration & Technique' started by Rodney Money, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Rodney Money

Rodney Money My wife made me cut my hair.

Mar 6, 2015
    I recently discovered this: John Williams' Trumpet Concerto. Thoughts?

Paul T McGraw likes this.
  2. miket

miket Senior Member

May 17, 2016
    As far as his concertos go, I think I prefer his entry for flute, and also Tree Song.

Rodney Money likes this.
  3. Piano Pete

Piano Pete Senior Member

Jan 5, 2017
    His tuba concerto is pretty boss.

Paul T McGraw and Rodney Money like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Rodney Money

Rodney Money My wife made me cut my hair.

Mar 6, 2015
    I will have to check that out!

5. Paul T McGraw

Paul T McGraw Senior Member

Feb 14, 2012
    I have been perplexed by Williams complete change in style and aesthetic when he wrote concert works. Who is the real Williams? The man who wrote all of the great movie soundtracks or the man who wrote the concert works?

It is really hard for me to stop thinking about that issue in order to think about the work itself. However, I would never sit down to listen to music and think, "Aha, I think I want to listen to a Williams concerto." It just never happens. With the possible exception of the tuba concerto, none of his concert works are memorable for me.

6. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    Well that is writing for commercial purposes vs writing music for yourself probably? I value his concert works a lot though they are not that of an easy listening like his commercial stuff. Also his older stuff is interesting which helps to understand his developement better.

7. jamieboo

jamieboo Senior Member

Jul 11, 2015
    I often have the desire to listen to Williams' Bassoon Concerto - 'The Five Sacred Trees' - I think it is beautiful!

Massimo and vewilya like this.
  8. Piano Pete

Piano Pete Senior Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Paul, I think you just gotta take both of them for what they are, the film and concert works. I cant imagine either are disingenuous.

9. Living Fossil

Living Fossil Senior Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Among the composers who really focussed on filmmusic, Korngold and Rózsa probably are the most relevant ones as composers of concert works (Korngold also is relevant for his works in the area of operas).
    To a (bit a) lesser extent i would also put Bernard Herrmann in this league.

Then there is Shostakovitch, who is among the most important composers of concert music of the 20th century and who also wrote great film music.

For Williams and also Ennio Morricone i think the focus on film music was perfect.
    They both shaped the history of film music to an enormous extent, but i don't think they would have played a relevant role in the area of concert music. (p.s. that's my subjective opinion, i'm not pretending to state a "fact" ;) )

Below two works. A concerto of Bernard Herrmann and a filmscore of Shostakovitch.

10. leon chevalier

leon chevalier Waste my time on VI Control

Nov 19, 2015
    France
    Tchaïkovski was also different person when he was writing for ballet than when he was writing for concert music. And I much prefer his ballet side !

11. jeremiahpena

jeremiahpena Senior Member

I absolutely love John William's Cello Concerto. It feels like a natural extension of his film music.

sekkosiki likes this.
  12. miket

miket Senior Member

May 17, 2016
    Agreed! In the concert works, you hear him unfiltered. In film scores, you hear him zeroing in on what the film needs, stylistically. They are both the real Williams, of course.

13. Leon Willett

Leon Willett Senior Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Williams' horn concerto has some moments that sound like harry potter ;)

14. Sami

Sami The Undisclosing

Jul 23, 2017
    Undisclosed
    Lets not forget Walton, Prokofiev, Castelnuovo-Tedesco and the rest...

15. blougui

blougui Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Indeed,in this cello concerto it's very difficult not to hear many of his recent score endeavours.