When Marketing Crosses the Line of Etiquette (Audio Plugin Deals)

Discussion in 'COMMERCIAL Announcements' started by Wunderhorn, Nov 23, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Wunderhorn

Wunderhorn Senior Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Let sum it all up by asking you directly:
    How is "do better for all of you" going to look like henceforth? Are you going to play nice and ask people for permission before you do anything with anyone's phone number or whatever data?

Please be specific and I would suggest to have that reflected in an updated user agreement on your web site.

May I add that it is also unfair to other developers/dealers who do not expand their marketing outside the bounds of general etiquette and even law (where Europe is concerned).
    After all it is - as others already expressed - not just about getting another unwanted text message but more about trust. I only want to do business with partners I feel that I can trust.

Also,

if you want people to appreciate your work putting these deals together then this appreciation may not happen as bountiful as it could when the presentation of your work appears using questionable methods.

mouse, David Cuny and Lode_Runner like this.
  2. Geoff Grace

Geoff Grace Senior Member

Apr 15, 2009
    I finally had enough this year too. I unsubscribed from most of the companies that regularly email me, leaving maybe 20% in place.

And yes, it took me all of a second or two to decide to type "STOP" after receiving the APD text.

Best,

Geoff

3. oliverd

oliverd Senior Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I also got this text and was really annoyed to get this at night time when I normally keep my phone on loud for work emergencies. To get woken up to a text message telling me to check out the latest deals really annoyed me and its overstepping the mark by a LOT.

I also have no idea where they got my number from as I never gave it to them. Ever. Not on their website and I never used the forum app. Its interesting that although lots of people have asked on this thread, they have no come back to reply to us all and tell is exactly where they got our numbers from.

After reading through the entire thread, it looks like APD "may have" bought the entire email database from Vi-Control and have been spamming everyone without their consent? This is pretty insane and massively illegal if true...

I'd be surprised if decent companies like @Soundiron Team, @audioimperia, @zircon_st, @Embertone etc. continue to do business with such a shady company after this....

4. zircon_st

zircon_st Lead Developer

I was as surprised to receive the text as anyone. I immediately emailed APD with my concerns and after our conversation, I have absolutely no doubt that they learned a lesson and won't be doing it again. That much was abundantly clear.

I can say is that our impression of APD has otherwise been only positive. We've been in the business for 10 years and have worked with quite a few distributors. We've seen distributors sell products without authorization, undercut us without asking, deliver files incorrectly, pay us late (or not at all), etc. Thankfully, APD has done none of these things. They've been entirely above board in our interactions.

To be clear: I share the opinion that the SMS was not a good idea, and I told them as much. Also to be clear, we did not give them any phone numbers or customer data. But I also think this was a one-off mistake that won't be repeated. An ill-advised marketing stunt. I don't believe it was anything more nefarious than that.

5. PeterN

PeterN Senior Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Its too much now, the marketing still flooding in mail long after black friday. Still ten mails a day, theres everything from cinesamples to spitfire. Like on a daily basis. This was the only “spam” I used to be okay with, but it is crossing the line. Will put on block.

Just one voice from the www.

6. oliverd

oliverd Senior Member

Sep 21, 2017
    @APD have posted elsewhere on the forum, but still aren't returning to this thread to actually answer the questions we have. As @Wunderhorn put it:

How is "do better for all of you" going to look like henceforth? Are you going to play nice and ask people for permission before you do anything with anyone's phone number or whatever data?

Also I'd like to get a definitive answer about:

• WHERE did you get our phone numbers from? Many of us never gave them to you before
    • Did you buy our email details from the previous owner of this forum?

7. gamma-ut

gamma-ut Senior Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Have you bought anything via APD? Phone number is a required field when signing - I'm not sure whether it's always been a required field but you will find one buried in the address details if you look at the account there (if you have one).

8. Drundfunk

Drundfunk Senior Member

Apr 5, 2017
    Page 3, second post in this thread gives you the answer to that

9. OP
    OP
    Wunderhorn

Wunderhorn Senior Member

Apr 21, 2010
    No answer is also an answer. It speaks volumes and covers all I needed to know regarding this matter.

TheUnfinished and David Cuny like this.
  10. Mornats

Mornats Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Just noticed that I was charged for sending the STOP message to APD. It was only 45p but still... (For context my contract gives me unlimited text messages but this one was chargeable.)

MartinH. and TheUnfinished like this.
  11. oliverd

oliverd Senior Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I guess @APD made some nice money from the unsubscribes at least. Still no response from them about buying the forum email addresses either which says a lot.

Meanwhile they continue to send 4-5 emails per week...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

mouse likes this.
  12. Mornats

Mornats Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    I also noticed that they'll send an email titled something along the lines of "hours left on this deal" then in the email the countdown will have 2-3 days left on it.

13. Mystic

Mystic Senior Member

Sep 29, 2013
    To be fair, I get emails from a lot of companies almost daily about the same deals.