1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did symphonic instrument sounds become realistic?

Discussion in 'Newbie Questions' started by dsblais, May 29, 2018.

1. Ned Bouhalassa

Ned Bouhalassa Senior Member

Sep 30, 2004
    2031, with Symphobia VIII.

Wally Garten likes this.
  2. StephenForsyth

StephenForsyth Senior Member

May 3, 2013
    Sydney.
    Nobody's posted mojo madness yet? i'm impressed.

3. Jdiggity1

Jdiggity1 Member Of The Month

Jan 31, 2012
    La La Land
    It's just not VI-Control without mojo madness

Farkle likes this.
  4. Robo Rivard

Robo Rivard Senior Member

May 11, 2016
    Québec
    I would say May 1987.
    Helloween's "Keeper of the seven keys part 1 and 2".
    After that, everything is a fraud.

Chad, Farkle and dsblais like this.
  5. Dietz

Dietz Space Explorer

This is a little proof-of-concept put together by VSL's founder Herb Tucmandl in 2001, mixed by Yours Truly in the same year. :)

omiroad, ism, Quasar and 4 others like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    dsblais

dsblais Active Member

May 12, 2018
    :laugh: Loved those songs.

7. OP
    OP
    dsblais

dsblais Active Member

May 12, 2018
    That's really amazing!

8. Dietz

Dietz Space Explorer

Thanks! Actually I was surprised myself how gracefully this little snippet aged. :)

foxby likes this.
  9. PaulBrimstone

PaulBrimstone Far, Far Away

Nov 22, 2016
    When? I guess it was the Stringularity.

dsblais likes this.
  10. dabeat11

dabeat11 New Member

Mar 18, 2018
    I'm totally researching/writing about this for my PhD dissertation. Advanced Orchestra was definitely a precursor, but as far as I can tell from running through trade magazines from the late 90s to early 00s, VSL and EWQLSO were totally game-changing. They established a set of norms for recording/sampling, visual representation in the DAW, and marketing that is still for the most part in place. Native Instruments was in the mix too (EWQLSO initially released for the now-defunct Kompakt sampler), but I think the main priority for NI has always been synthesis. That may seem counter-intuitive given the success of Kontakt, but Kontakt made its name by hosting third-party libraries, and even today NI's proprietary sample content for Kontakt is a bit anemic compared to many of the third-party libraries it hosts.

This question is obviously super subjective though. I think everybody agrees that the quality of production you can get "in the box" has definitely improved, but there are a lot of factors that go into that on the production side (how well people can use their tools) and on the perception side (how accustomed listeners' ears are to the subtleties of orchestral sounds).

ptram and dsblais like this.
  11. Sibelius19

Sibelius19 AKA -Erick McNerney

Dec 12, 2015
    Michigan
    That's a very interesting question. While a lot of the patches aren't that realistic, they still sound really good. Back when I first started writing music on the PC, I used some of the string patches on a piece. No other virtual instrument could quite get the same, silky sound. It was synthetic sounding, but in a very warm, pleasing sort of way --like it was a real strings section with it's edges and imperfections smoothed out or something. Really nice tone. Just not realistic.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    dsblais likes this.
  12. Pianolando

Pianolando Senior Member

Dec 7, 2013
    My 2c:
    Pianos when Synthogy released Ivory 1
    Orchestral sections and solo winds/brass when EW released Hollywood orchestra.
    Solo strings just recently.

Sibelius19 and dsblais like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    dsblais

dsblais Active Member

May 12, 2018
    That's very helpful! Thank you and good luck on your dissertation (perhaps you could share it here when you're done; it sounds fascinating)! Your final comments seem very relevant to me, especially in this time of retrowave analog synths, etc. I simply mean a realistic reproduction that can, at least now and then, cross the uncanny valley.

14. ptram

ptram Senior Member

Nov 30, 2013
    While VSL did change things by letting us make a real jump in quality and realism, I wouldn't dismiss the importance of Peter Siedlaczek's Advanced Orchestra (and a bit later, of Miroslav Vitous' answer – already, at that time, an opposition between dry samples and samples with recorded ambience…). This library was really a great advancement in realism. You can still hear how good it was in the demos (and I will be so kind to spare you my pieces composed at the time with the library).

Also, I wouldn't dismiss Garritan's effort to create a good quality orchestra at a reasonable price. While it was not at the same level as VSL, this library was good enough to let many of us compose while listening to the sound of a real orchestra.

Paolo

dsblais likes this.
  15. robgb

robgb I Have Strong Opinions

Apr 6, 2016
    Go back and listen to Jeremy Soule's mockups in the very early 2000's. Amazing realism was possible back then. And he was using Garritan Orchestral Strings on Gigasampler. It all comes down to talent, I'm afraid.

dsblais likes this.
  16. Kardon

Kardon Senior Member

Sep 21, 2014
    I think it was Winter NAMM in 1999 when I first heard Miroslav Vitous strings, on I believe the original Gigasampler, and I was blown away. The demo was a slow emotive piece and sounded like nothing I had ever heard before. My Kurzweil strings were never used again :unsure:.

dsblais likes this.