What's new

What's your favorite Strings Library with respect to Timbre Quality ?

I did a quick mockup of the Conan theme I think a over year ago or so with CSS, matches the "vibe" of the original closely.

CSS is a very capable, and quite versatile strings library, with a wonderful timbre.

I wouldn't mind to see CSS have an expansion library that add more specialized articulations to make it even more attractive. similar to what OT-Berlin Strings Expansions offer.

I had a very intensive research about all available orchestral libraries during present Black Friday. It was really exhausting cause I tried to collect all the pros and cons and guess what...I ended up to using my ears only. The array of different opinions just left me in the blind spot and I could not decide.

My point of view is that the tone perception depends on the user and it is very different from person to person. I know, this is nothing new :)

I saw a lot of opinions raving about CSS while some say they are too dark and do not cut through (not to mention most of the people say the legato is the best in the market while some say they hate it because it is burdening the workflow).

The same with Berlin Strings. Some say it has tone nailed to the optimal point while some say it is more on the higher side and does not have enough lows.

Century Strings, the same history, though it is relatively new library actually I still prefer Adagio and Agitato over it cause for me it is too harsh and the legato is not that flexible. But then again in lot of compositions it will fit perfectly.

I heard mockups for Berlin Strings, Hollywood Strings, CSS, Century that sounded marvelous and I heard also bad ones. So you have to analyze each option very carefully and do not bring conclusion on one opinion or example (or even several ones).

Also it is different if you analyze the tone solely from the library or in context. Sometimes the strings do not sound right out of the box alone and may seem they lack some of the frequencies but then it occurs when you combine it with other sections it suddenly becomes very attractive.

That is why I always try to look for comprehensive libraries cause then you are actually able to fully judge whether the tone is right or not. Taking that in mind I have BHCT and to me it is the best tonewise library of all time. The tone placement for each "section" is brilliant. Again, this is my opinion only not ultimate general judgement for all.

Now I am about to get Hollywood Orchestra cause for me it is gorgeous library in terms of the sound, flexibility and I don't care many say it is rubbish. It actually sounds marvelous to me even after all these years. Compared to other libraries I think many of them still have much to do.

I also think upcoming CSW will be a milestone for many of us cause it will complete the line and I am convinced we will have an excellent choice for new complete orchestral library (well almost but the percussion is the least problematic library to blend). Please check demos from Alex where he used all of the available libaries. My jaw is still not in the place it supposed to be.

At the end, this is nothing inventive here but really, you have to trust your feelings and your gut cause it is really matter of preference and a lot of people here already mentioned this many times. Sadly (or not) there is no library to rule them all. I think it is also good that they are different cause we have different options for different uses and also sometimes it is refreshing to do something with another library than to use the same all the time.

Concluding, my opinion is that everybody here is right about their choice :)

Back to the topic: Venice Strings: tonewise my new favourite future buy

Now I am about to get Hollywood Orchestra cause for me it is gorgeous library in terms of the sound, flexibility and I don't care many say it is rubbish. It actually sounds marvelous to me even after all these years. Compared to other libraries I think many of them still have much to do.

Thanks for the interesting post.

Did you hear something specific that Hollywood Strings has that other String libraries don't ? Are you convinced that it has a nicer timbre than Berlin Strings, CSS, SSS, ...etc. ?

Just curious what makes you like it so much ?

There are many awesome string libraries but I'm a big fan of Hollywood Strings. It is lush, the legatos are beautiful and the overall sound is rather dry so you can place it in different spaces with reverb. And I have only used tree mics so there is more potential to it. I've made some pieces utilising only 50% of its dynamic range (0-50) in legato patches and even those 50% provide huge smooth range. The vibrato is changing smoothly in those patches too.
For spacious sound out of the box Spitfire Symphonic Strings are great.

Thanks for the interesting post.

Did you hear something specific that Hollywood Strings has that other String libraries don't ? Are you convinced that it has a nicer timbre than Berlin Strings, CSS, SSS, ...etc. ?

Just curious what makes you like it so much ?

Among many examples
Edit: I did not post Andrew Barraclough examples cause I think it would not be fair :) but if you want please check them out https://www.youtube.com/c/AndrewBarracloughComposer/videos

This

This

This (well this is not the best example but I love this staccatos staying behind the back nicely)

this (edit: please take into consideration the example with reverb, the dry is not fair, also I think it would be better to use spiccatos rather than staccatos for honest comparison)

this example shows how flexible HO can be regarding blending (including the strings)
btw I love the sound of Spitfire Studio Orchestra but I know many of the members hate it. So what can you do :)

and my personal favourite (the programming is not the best but hey we are talking about the sound :))

From what I heard HS is very flexible in tone. I don't claim it is the best sounding library but it is really really good. To be clear I like the tone of Berling Strings and I love how emotional CSS and Venice strings can be. I also love the tone of Spitfire Studio line. My personal dream is to combine HO, Cinematic Studio and Spitfire Studio series. Who knows maybe that dream will come true some day.
But for now I will go with HO (and I am pretty sure I will get CSB for now just to have opportunity to get CSW with some discount).

After all my analysis I realized that I can get very far with Hollywood Strings and the whole package and I rather like to have more flexibility with good tone than be restrained with perfect tone and sufficate my ideas. And hey, the price for HO is ridiculous taking in consideration what it offers (I did strongly considerate Berlin series especially at present sale cause it is a great package but I think for me it is not worth for the moment to invest more considering what I actually need).

Hopes this helps understand my point of view.

BR
Seba

Last edited:
8dio Agitato hands down together with and adagietto/adagio. It is a pity original adagio is not available anymore. I had adagietto and agitato sordinos for a long time and have bought rest of agitato line now. It is beautiful and very underrated library. Tonewise top notch for emotive lines. Anthology for me was an upgrade that is not actually an upgrade. They have simplified things yes but the sound is thin and the stereo image sounds bad. It is not adagio anymore for me. It shall be offered as separate product. Just my 2cents ;)
The original Adagio are still available. :) Once I got the full line of their current Adagio (A Part of Anthology Series) lineup, I sent them a request for the original Adagio library and they put it into my account (they also put Anthology into my account). Not sure if you need to get all 4 sections or if you can get them one at a time. So if you buy all new Adagio, you get Anthology and old Adagio for free!

The original Adagio are still available. :) Once I got the full line of their current Adagio (A Part of Anthology Series) lineup, I sent them a request for the original Adagio library and they put it into my account (they also put Anthology into my account). Not sure if you need to get all 4 sections or if you can get them one at a time. So if you buy all new Adagio, you get Anthology and old Adagio for free!
Oh my, that is really great. I will check this with their support.

I disagree. I hate to say this but I can hear the orchestra making mistakes at times. It's like they were in such a rush they didn't have time to re-record bad samples. There are weird artefacts as if the whole process was rushed. Maybe they will fix it in the future because there was supposed to be a lifetime of updates.

Also not sure about the room it was recorded in. I'm not sure if the BBC Studios room counts as a hall. I think it's supposed to be a fairly dry room, which is an odd combination for ambience. I would want something naturally wetter for a wet sound and something drier for a studio sound.
not sure what that has to do with the reverb choice though. The space they recorded BBC was at Maida Vale...this is a fact, and it's not dry, but not wet like AIR studios. either way, these are not concert halls...which is where orchestral music sounds best...hence why we add a hall sound to the samples or live "studio" recordings. Not talking about the artifacts...and every library has them...every single one is without fault.

I have two favourites....

1) Hollywood Strings....the lush "woody" tone of the sordino legato viola patches. It never gets old.

2) Any of the sordino patches in 8Dio Anthology.

A month ago I would absolutely have said Hollywood Strings, although Venice Modern Strings is beautiful for soft sound.

But now, I would say some of the Afflatus.

Hi @Ashermusic,

Thanks for your interesting feedback on this topic.

I just finished installing Afflatus Strings last night :) I will spend some quality time discovering what the positive buzz is all about.

Hi @Ashermusic,

Thanks for your interesting feedback on this topic.

I just finished installing Afflatus Strings last night :) I will spend some quality time discovering what the positive buzz is all about.

Which does not mean btw, that HS is not still going to get a lot of use here, because it does things Afflatus will not and is more cohesive.

One of my favourites for timbre is Cinesamples solo strings 1st violin and cello.

The 1st violin in particular. Here are some snippets of the violin playing the theme from Brave and a theme from the Witcher .

I just love the sound of it. Sounds so 'folklore' like and the long plaintive portamentos/long slurs are beautiful.

Edit - just realised you said not solo. woops :P

Attachments

• Brave.mp3
    1.3 MB · Views: 140
  • Fields of Ard Skellige.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Top Bottom