What's new

Whats an appropriate Spitfire "Evolutions" library for this purpose..?

ManicMiner

in the Skylab landing bay
There are a few Spitfire Evo grid libraries out.

I am looking for a one that can be put under spoken voice, the genre would be a kind of ambient "meditation" type piece.
So I don't want something thats screechy or attention grabbing, but soft, warm, complimentary.. etc.

Or maybe you have another vendor in mind other than Spitfire?

The Olafur Arnolds Chamber evolutions are a good choice if you stick to the subtle (And maybe the next level) of evolutions.

Also good would be the evos from Albion V, again if you stay to the left in the grid.

The general rule can be: keep left for pleasantness.

Definitely OACE. Or orchestral swarm. Or the orchestral (symphonic strings ) evolutions.

Last edited:
Spitfire recommends Symphonic Strings Evolutions for sitting under dialogue:

"Composers are forever being asked to make meaningful music that sits easily under dialogue without diverting attention away from the scene."

I don't own it myself, but it's pretty close to the top of my wishlist. I do own OACE, and I think that could work as suggested above, but I could see the bigger sections in SSE being more suited to staying in the background.

Evo 2 has quite a few patches like that, and is a really good library besides (especially for pads).

Reactions: ism
I would also look at British Drama Toolkit, which is not set up as an EVO grid, but has lots of evolving textures accessed via velocity.

Evo 2 has quite a few patches like that, and is a really good library besides (especially for pads).
I don't think Spitfire has Evo2 on sale anymore. I looked on their site and they have Evo3, not 2. Maybe they phased them out.

It just been renamed, I think it's now "fragile" evolutions.
Yes, just checked: "Previously known as Evo Grid 2, Fragile String Evolutions ..."

@jbuhler
I looked at British Drama toolkit, a bit on the edgy side for me. And the way Paul Thompson played it, very melancholy ... which is typical of most of the depressing British drama actually.

@jbuhler I looked at British Drama toolkit, a bit on the edgy side for me. And the way Paul Thompson played it, very melancholy ... which is typical of most of the depressing British drama actually.

BDT is the one SF lib for which the officials don't do much for me, perhaps because they're going for a melancholic underscore kind of vibe.

But with the caveat that I bought it never intending to write for actual British drama, I find it very texturally beautiful.

Yes, just checked: "Previously known as Evo Grid 2, Fragile String Evolutions ..."

@jbuhler
I looked at British Drama toolkit, a bit on the edgy side for me. And the way Paul Thompson played it, very melancholy ... which is typical of most of the depressing British drama actually.
Personally I don’t find it particularly edgy. And it certainly doesn’t have to be melancholy. It takes some practice to get used to the velocity system for triggering the various textural possibilities.

BDT is the one SF lib for which the officials don't do much for me, perhaps because they're going for a melancholic underscore kind of vibe.

But with the caveat that I bought it never intending to write for actual British drama, I find it very texturally beautiful.
Agreed. The official demo's all spell Drama, but whether it is dramatic, melancholic, depends on how you play it.
For underscore though, I think I'd prefer OACE.

Reactions: ism
Top Bottom