What's new

What will I lose if I 'crossgrade' from Cubase Pro 9.5 to Nuendo?

alanb

I'm living a relatively happy and stable life with Cubase Pro 9.5.41 on a Win 10 (x64) PC, i7-3930K and 16GB RAM.

I want to cross-grade to Nuendo, to take advantage of its post-pro features, its more robust surround sound capabilities, etc.

. . . but the requirement that I relinquish my Cubase license has me worried, and raises a number of questions.

If any of you have already made the switch from Cubase to Nuendo, I would greatly appreciate your insight re some of these questions:

- - - - - - - - - -

I've used Cubase exclusively since the days when I had to have this little bugger connected to my printer's parallel port:

Cubase VST~32 parallel port dongle.jpg

I have some very old projects, which I still reference with some regularity.

Will Nuendo be able to open and play Cubase project files dating back to Cubase VST/32?

If not that far back... does anyone know how many versions back it will open?

- - - - - - - - - -

It says on the Steinberg website that "Nuendo 8 will include 'out-of-the-box' all-musical features from Cubase, previously available in the Nuendo Expansion Kit (NEK)." Does that really mean ALL of Cubase 10's 'musical features', or does the NEK only contain a subset of Cubase's 'musical features', and Nuendo only has that subset??

Are there any 'non-musical' Cubase features that are either absent from, or handled differently in, Nuendo?

I'm breaking out in a cold sweat just imagining opening up a 50-track project and discovering that (for example) the instrument/plugin automation is all screwy, or missing entirely.....

- - - - - - - - - -

Will all of my hand-made drum maps, expression maps and project templates work in Nuendo, right out of the box, or will they need tweaking/reformatting/re-assigning?

- - - - - - - - - -

What (if anything) will I no longer be able to do in Nuendo that I can currently do in Cubase Pro?

- - - - - - - - - -

On a Win 10 (x64) PC, running on an i7-3930K and 16GB RAM, would Nuendo 8's CPU/RAM usage be greater than/less than/generally comparable to that of Cubase Pro 9.5?

- - - - - - - - - -

Thank you for any and all advice, guidance, URLs, etc.!!

— Alan

Attachments

• Cubase VST~32 parallel port dongle (small).jpg
    Cubase VST~32 parallel port dongle (small).jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1
There’s a trial for Nuendo on Steinberg’s website. Download and test your projects before you decide.

Thanks, I know that there's a trial version available.

Nevertheless, I'm hoping that someone(s) here can provide arbitrarily-short-yet-substantively-helpful answers to my few questions, rather than my spending the rest of eternity (or until the trial version's expiration date, whichever comes first) trying to figure out which of Cubase's thousands of audio/MIDI/workflow functionalities are either missing or implemented differently in Nuendo — a decidedly complex program with which I am utterly unfamiliar . . .

Even if it's just a pointer to anyplace on The Internets where these questions have already been answered in the last year or so (I've seen lots of threads from 2005 and earlier, which wouldn't necessarily be accurate now), I would be entirely grateful.

Yes it does include what is in Cubase. It used to be that a lot of the MIDI stuff that was in Cubase was part of the NEK extension for Nuendo but that was merged into Nuendo proper over the past couple of years. The Nuendo code base has been merging with Cubase over the past version. The one thing that you do loose is that Cubase is updated approximately 9 months before Nuendi. Steinberg has stated on their forum that they are going to be moving the Nuendo update so it is closer to the release of Cubase but that has not occurred, yet.

I would suggest going over to the Steinberg Nuendo > General Forum and look for recent posts by "Timo W." He is the Lead on the Nuendo Unit of Steinberg. He has stated a lot of what I have just penned and more about the feature set that will be arriving in Nuendo 10 to be released in Q2 of this year.

Edit: Corrected a typo.

Last edited:
I'm kind of curious whether the Crossgrade from Cubase includes Elements? I can't find any where that specifies a version of Cubase required for the crossgrade. It might be worth the additional $100 to gab elements and crossgrade and not lose your full version. I'm thinking about trying it.

I'm kind of curious whether the Crossgrade from Cubase includes Elements? I can't find any where that specifies a version of Cubase required for the crossgrade. It might be worth the additional $100 to gab elements and crossgrade and not lose your full version. I'm thinking about trying it.
Sorry don’t have a link but a Steinberg Forum Mod did say that it’s a Cubase Pro crossgrade and that Elements is not eligible.

Last edited:
If i understood the thing correctly, you'll loose the ability to upgrade cubase in the future, and you'll stick with nuendo to the grave !

How often do you need to update Nuendo?

I've heard (maybe incorrectly) that Cubase isn't that good with video and you need Nuendo if you want to do video? I'm thinking they were talking more than a basic YouTube video? I haven't tried video in Cubase, I normally use ProTools. But it has been a bit of a pain to move it all over. I like the ease of the markers in ProTools, but I would like to be able to actually do everything in the same DAW. Otherwise, I'm guessing Nuendo isn't worth it for hobby musiscians?

Nevermind. Found a post on the Nuendo forum that kind of answers this.

Last edited:
First, it appears Cubase is incredibly better with video than it has ever been. Recently I watched this video and was impressed with what my Cubase Pro 10 could do!

However, as my needs expand I am hoping that Nuendo fits the bill a little tighter. The only thing I have struggled with in Nuendo is that it hates my Scarlett 6i6 drivers. No matter the latency I choose (up into the thousands) I get crackling. Of course it could be related to my Nvidia video.

Cubase could be like that, but after some tweaking it works...running same tweaks in Nuendo does not resolve the issues like it did in Cubase. Using ASIO4ALL (blech, I prefer native drivers) works however so I can probably live with that...for now.

Video Render (Nuendo v10.2, apparently) and Reconform Tools are the deal-makers for me. The 2nd Video Track will also come in handy for sure....think I'm going to pull the trigger soon...

First, it appears Cubase is incredibly better with video than it has ever been. Recently I watched this video and was impressed with what my Cubase Pro 10 could do!

However, as my needs expand I am hoping that Nuendo fits the bill a little tighter. The only thing I have struggled with in Nuendo is that it hates my Scarlett 6i6 drivers. No matter the latency I choose (up into the thousands) I get crackling. Of course it could be related to my Nvidia video.

Cubase could be like that, but after some tweaking it works...running same tweaks in Nuendo does not resolve the issues like it did in Cubase. Using ASIO4ALL (blech, I prefer native drivers) works however so I can probably live with that...for now.
So maybe I don't actually need Nuendo. The bargain hunter in me wants to grab it. And I also use a 6i6 on my studio computer. I could probably switch it out for my old Mbox2, but that uses the ASIO4ALL which I've been trying to avoid.

My biggest issues with Cubase, coming from ProTools and Sonar, has been trying to figure out what to actually call what I need help in. There are a lot of help videos out there, but Google doesn't translate ProTools/Cubase. It's getting better though. :)

The only explanation I Find on this nice but definitely tricky crossgrade (I almost did it!) is that it might be part of a future Steinberg Plan to get rid of Cubase and merge it into a single ProAudio Production package.

Otherwise, I don't get the need to cancel the license. I have done cross grades before (Finale-Sibelius, etc) and you don't lose the other license.
Given that we already paid a full version of Cubase, the Crossgrade, which 70% is great, of course, is making you lose the initial Cubase investment.

On another side...upgrades to Next Nuendo versions are more than 3x the price of Cubase's...so there's another string attached to it as well.

The only explanation I Find on this nice but definitely tricky crossgrade (I almost did it!) is that it might be part of a future Steinberg Plan to get rid of Cubase and merge it into a single ProAudio Production package.

Otherwise, I don't get the need to cancel the license. I have done cross grades before (Finale-Sibelius, etc) and you don't lose the other license.
Given that we already paid a full version of Cubase, the Crossgrade, which 70% is great, of course, is making you lose the initial Cubase investment.

On another side...upgrades to Next Nuendo versions are more than 3x the price of Cubase's...so there's another string attached to it as well.
Well, they don't own the other product - i.e. Finale. I think in their mind it is similar to an upgrade. Though I still am able to run Cubase 8, 9 and 10 on my computer, even though technically, I only have a 10 license. If the Nuendo allows you to still run Cubase, but not upgrade it, it would make sense. I'm curious as to if anyone has tried.

I don't see why that would be the case at all, There are three tiers of Cubase already why would they want to get rid of it? You need products at a range of price points and Nuendo is aimed squarely at ProTools users.

I think they are very confident of the quality of the upcoming 10 so want to tempt as many 'waverers' as possible and get them on board before it is released. I use Logic everyday since it's quick and easy and I know it well. I have Cubase and appreciate a lot of the 'power features' but it's not worth the effort to switch. Nuendo however, is very tempting...

Cubase licenses run previous versions of Cubase. Nuendo licenses run previous version of Nuendo...but they never cross paths. A Nuendo license cannot run Cubase or vice versa.

Cubase licenses run previous versions of Cubase. Nuendo licenses run previous version of Nuendo...but they never cross paths. A Nuendo license cannot run Cubase or vice versa.

Exactly. That's why losing the Cubase license is nonsense.

Exactly. That's why losing the Cubase license is nonsense.
No, really, from their point of view, you are giving up the option for inexpensive Cubase updates to get the privilege of much more expensive Nuendo updates. They can't let you have both. It affects their bottom line. Or so they see it. That is why the price is so good.

Now, if they let you keep what you have but don't let you update it anymore? That would be fair. Especially as they are allowing those with Cubase 4 to get the same discount as Cubase 10.

Personally, I think they see how users regularly update their Cubase versions and are hoping to move them to Nuendo and get them to update at a higher price more regularly.

Top Bottom