What's new

What Will Become of Us?

Dear Villain

I'm pleased to share my latest orchestral work, "What Will Become of Us?" featuring all VSL, including a blend of Synchron and Orchestral Strings.

An orchestral tone poem inspired by "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust."

Since our dawn to inevitable dusk
A question implanted in our mind
A question of legacy
Prompting a quest to find meaning when there may be none.
So we seek the answer in our journey...
Unveiling itself through riddles of gaiety, pain, elation and despair.
As we try to fulfill our hopes, desires,
The question haunts our dreams:
When our ashes are finally blown away,
Our dust scattered in wind...
What will become of us?

(Poem by: Rebecca Carovillano)

Looking forward to your comments and thanks for listening!

David Carovillano

I thought this was a very colourful and conversational piece! The pace, atmosphere and tone made me think about how fleeting life is. Really lovely :)

Thanks so much for listening and commenting, Alexandra! I know a 9 minute piece (and all VSL) might be off putting to some, but I'm glad you gave it a chance :)

Dave

9 minutes? Right, I'm game. Such commitment deserves a listen.
<listens>
Nice! Some beautiful examples of orchestration. I think I preferred the slower parts of the piece where I could hear your arrangement "breath" a little more, but some serious programming chops on display. :2thumbs: I enjoyed it!

Rising to the challenge of listening for 9 minutes? You're a brave man, Alex. What's next? A hike up Everest?

Seriously, thanks for listening and commenting. I really appreciate it! It definitely took some time to put together...a little more than the 9 minute result

Cheers,
Dave

engrossed, emotional, dynamic and very colorful! :emoji_shamrock:
great work - thanks a lot for this - I really enjoyed it.

Thank you, Thomas, for such a kind comment. Glad you enjoyed the piece! Welcome to the forum (I read your introduction post) and I agree with what you wrote about the value of music in today's society...all we can do is find the personal meaning and value in music ourselves, and hope others do as well.

Cheers!
Dave

@Dear Villain the music sounds great. I like your mix. The composition itself held my interest fairly well. I have listened to this piece several times, seeing it first over on the VSL forum. Overall I would say, you did good.

Thanks, as always, Paul! It's funny, because usually a piece like this would get more response on the VSL forum than here, but it's pretty D.O.A. over there, so I'm glad at least a few people have given it a listen here. It was definitely a labour of love, much like your Tennessee River Portrait.

Cheers!
Dave

"What will become of us" - is that a reference to Luddites? Just curious.

(Can't hear the piece this second, looking forward to listening to it.)

"What will become of us" - is that a reference to Luddites? Just curious.

(Can't hear the piece this second, looking forward to listening to it.)

No, but I suppose it could be :) It's more a reference to humanity as a whole...coming to grips with our place in this universe, and finding the meaning and purpose of our time here. Hope you'll take a listen and let me know your thoughts, Nick!

All the best,
Dave

This composition really calls for a real orchestra! Well done as a mockup but this is real music for real players. I hope you get the opportunity to have a good orchestra performing it. Great work!

Thank you, Saxer! I do make scores and parts for all my orchestral and chamber music, and am always striving for live performances. Unfortunately, it's becoming more difficult than ever for unknown composers to break through and orchestras don't place high priority on composers' works that aren't able to draw an audience, even if the music would be well received. But, we must all keep trying!

Cheers,
Dave

I'm pleased to share my latest orchestral work, "What Will Become of Us?" featuring all VSL, including a blend of Synchron and Orchestral Strings.

An orchestral tone poem inspired by "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust."

Since our dawn to inevitable dusk
A question implanted in our mind
A question of legacy
Prompting a quest to find meaning when there may be none.
So we seek the answer in our journey...
Unveiling itself through riddles of gaiety, pain, elation and despair.
As we try to fulfill our hopes, desires,
The question haunts our dreams:
When our ashes are finally blown away,
Our dust scattered in wind...
What will become of us?

(Poem by: Rebecca Carovillano)

Looking forward to your comments and thanks for listening!

David Carovillano

I really enjoyed that and I want to thank you for writing and sharing a really lovely piece. I was especially impressed by the dialogue of thematic elements, especially among the woodwinds (Mahler came to mind in a good way). And I loved your folklike dance elements. The wind machine was a fine, symbolic touch. You really integrated the spirit and the heart of the poem well. I'll be back for more of it.

I really enjoyed that and I want to thank you for writing and sharing a really lovely piece. I was especially impressed by the dialogue of thematic elements, especially among the woodwinds (Mahler came to mind in a good way). And I loved your folklike dance elements. The wind machine was a fine, symbolic touch. You really integrated the spirit and the heart of the poem well. I'll be back for more of it.

Gosh, thanks, Peter! You made my day with those kind words :) Hope you'll check out more music on either my website or Soundcloud, and thanks again for your support!

Dave

Thanks, Michelob, on behalf of all of the composers whose works you commented on today. We all value the feedback and appreciate those listeners that take time to comment.

Cheers!
Dave

Top Bottom