What violin library comes close to this sound?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by jaketanner, Feb 11, 2019.

1. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    I love the sound of this violin up to 37sec mark...Any library that comes close at all?

2. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Have you tried with the Spitfire Virtuosic Vl?

3. OP
    OP
    jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    I did..it's kinda there, but thinner. I haven't tried their second violin option though...The one I have that's closest is actually Cinestrings solo. But I was curious as to a dedicated solo violin with that particular sound. I know hein is too "classical" sounding and pretty...lol Maybe Emotional Violin?

4. Sopranos

Sopranos Senior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Checked out Joshua Bell?

5. OP
    OP
    jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    Have not yet. I did a while ago, but didn't think for this one..I think it's also too classical sounding. But will give it another listen

6. Sopranos

Sopranos Senior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    You might be right on the classical point but it sure does sound good lol.

7. TomNoyd

TomNoyd No one special

Mar 25, 2013
    This demo may have more a scratchy 'Middle-Eastern' sound but with CC wrangling (pitch, modwheel, and CC 11), I'm sure you can get pretty dang close with Neocymatic's Hybrid Strings. I don't have it but I adore their Clarinet collection (which I scored in a sale a while back). Quite frankly, I'm surprised I don't hear people talking about them very much.

Anywho, might be worth checking them out.

8. OP
    OP
    jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    cool, but don't think it has the articulations to pull anything off like in the video. But I do like the sound :)

TomNoyd likes this.
  9. WhiteNoiz

WhiteNoiz ';...;'

Jun 20, 2012
  10. OP
    OP
    jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    Can’t get the link to work. However, I know of that violin. From what I remember, there was a lot of portamento.

11. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    Terrible playing on my part (and it's not the piece in the video, just noodling), but I like the tone:

(Slightly revised version. Audio Modeling violin)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  12. reutunes

reutunes Senior Member

May 1, 2012
    I think Chris Hein could make a good fist of this with some smart programming of the note heads.

Casiquire likes this.
  13. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    You can control the portamento. The "sound" is about right, but I think a library with extremely flexible shorts would do better.

I think you're right.

14. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    Which library?

15. OP
    OP
    jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    Real close...is the Italian Violin a new Hein library? I remember it being more "classical" sounding. BTW, I tried it with the Cinestrings Solo violin, and that sounds real good as well. Guess it just comes down to the room, the violin used, and the player of course. But I do see from these examples, that close is achievable..now whether we can get close on a performance level, that's a whole other discussion..LOL Thanks all!

16. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    LOL. I guess it helps to mention that. Audio Modeling's SWAM violin.

Casiquire and I like music like this.
  17. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    Thank you, I love what you've done with it. I tend not to like its tone but it works here and your performance is lively.

The library now comes with four violins. The original one and Italian one from the beginning and more recently a French one and an "1824". The first two have even more articulations. Italian is definitely closest to this sound and the extra articulations are very useful for realism.

jaketanner and robgb like this.
  18. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    I've played with its tone considerably, including adding a Stradivarius IR to the track:

http://www.violinimpulseresponses.com/

Casiquire likes this.
  19. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    Oh that's a very interesting idea. It seems to be working. I know it's an extremely flexible instrument

robgb likes this.
  20. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    Yes, what I played was all played in real time, no extra programming done—which is why the performance isn't great, but shows off what the library can do.

Casiquire likes this.