What's new

What type of keyboard controller for Orchestral programming?

Alex Fraser

o
M-audio? I had a masterkey but after something like 2 years some leds didn't work anymore and also a B central key didn't play. So I re-sent to them, they fixed it and after a while the same problems again!!
I've also had a pair of little monitors of m-audio but after 2 year didn't work anymore.
So if I can give some advice: M-audio never again.
Oh yeah - I don't expect much from the Keystation and it has a shelf life. All I require is 88 keys, pitch and mod wheels. They're cheap enough that when it fails, a quick order from Amazon and you're back in business. I even had a spare for a while, but I'm now using it. ;)

I appreciate I'm some what of an outlier on this policy. I've looked at the hammer action stuff, but I like the ergonomic gains from using the Keystation. It's shallow and thin under the desk, so my chair/desk height can be optimised. I've played piano all my life and always like a good hammer action. However, my daily music work simply doesn't require having it.

I'm getting twitchy though - there's no sign of an 88 note MK3 keystation despite the introduction of 61, 49 keys. Hopefully it's not a model on the way out.

jaketanner

Oh yeah - I don't expect much from the Keystation and it has a shelf life. All I require is 88 keys, pitch and mod wheels. They're cheap enough that when it fails, a quick order from Amazon and you're back in business. I even had a spare for a while, but I'm now using it. ;)

I appreciate I'm some what of an outlier on this policy. I've looked at the hammer action stuff, but I like the ergonomic gains from using the Keystation. It's shallow and thin under the desk, so my chair/desk height can be optimised. I've played piano all my life and always like a good hammer action. However, my daily music work simply doesn't require having it.

I'm getting twitchy though - there's no sign of an 88 note MK3 keystation despite the introduction of 61, 49 keys. Hopefully it's not a model on the way out.
M-Audio Hammer 88 is unbeatable for the price and well beyond it's price. I've had it a while, and the response is fantastic. Mod and pitch wheel too. 2 pedals, and a very good weighted feel.

fixxer49

Bouncing Consultant
I can't quite remember actually. I tested a number of them at a reasonably well-stocked Guitar Center and some I read about online. I was amazed at how cheap some of the wheels and toggles and joysticks felt. Like crumby game controllers.
oh yeah. indeed. ironically, the main reason i got the q88 was because the QS8.1 (also by Alesis) was one of the best and sturdiest keyboards i've ever owned.

Daniele Nasuti

I can't agree with this.. the master keyboard of m-audio I had was more than 700$ price and after 2 years it was unusable. Same thing for monitors(100$): after 2 years didn't work anymore. So this means that m-audio uses nasty materials for all their products.

Thanks to m-audio 800$ throw in the toilet.

Alex Fraser

I can't agree with this.. the master keyboard of m-audio I had was more than 700$ price and after 2 years it was unusable. Same thing for monitors(100$): after 2 years didn't work anymore. So this means that m-audio uses nasty materials for all their products.

Thanks to m-audio 800$ throw in the toilet.
We must be talking about different products - the standard keystation 88 is around £140. ;)

Top Bottom