1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What string libraries have tempo syncing for articulations?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Virtual Virgin, Sep 13, 2017 at 9:28 AM.

1. Virtual Virgin

Virtual Virgin Senior Member

Jul 7, 2017
    What string libraries can lock to bpm for measured tremolos and trills?

2. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

Not sure about trills, but Hollywood Strings has tempo sync tremolo sections.

3. Nils Neumann

Nils Neumann Senior Member

Jul 21, 2016
    Germany/Stuttgart
    Cinematic Studio String has tempo locked measured tremolos, don't know about the trills

4. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Hell's Kitchen-Orlando
  5. OP
    OP
    Virtual Virgin

Jul 7, 2017
    Curious library. I will have to check out videos on the grid interface.
    Were these also recorded at Air Studios? Wondering how they blend with the SSS.

Also, what does Evo 3 have to do with the new Strings Evolutions?

6. OP
    OP
    Virtual Virgin

Jul 7, 2017
    When I look at their articulations list I am excited :) When I listen to their demos I am not :(

7. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

8. OP
    OP
    Virtual Virgin

Jul 7, 2017
    HS as a whole. I can hear their envelopes constantly (artificial attack and release) so it sounds quite synthy to me.

9. kunst91

kunst91 Senior Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Evo 1-4 are not recorded at Air. That's what separates the "symphonic evolutions" from the main "evo grid" line

10. The Darris

The Darris Senior Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Spitfire Audio:
    Evo Grid 3 - Tempo Sync phrases that evolve.
    Symphonic Strings - 150 & 180 bpm Measured Tremolos which can sync to host
    Chamber Strings - Sames As Symphonic Strings

Hollywood Strings
    Measured Tremolo that is tempo locked and is a highlight of that library (don't own it but love the sound of those trems)

Cinematic Studio Strings - Measured trems (sync to host or manually set tempo in patch) this patch is very different from the other libraries. It plays only 2 hits in tempo so if you want 16th notes, you play 8th notes to get the tremolo effect. It works extremely well as you don't have to worry about the releases getting in the way. Spitfire's strings are looped phrases so they can be a little difficult sometimes to get the performance just right.

Orchestral Tools Berlin Strings has "repitition 16th's" which I think could be used as a measured tremolo patch. I'm assuming it is looped as well.

Sonokinetic's Ostinato could work as well but it's a pretty big sound. Here you can switch between rhythm types but you can do straight 16ths to give the tremolo effect. They have achieved a very high level of development concerning tempo locked phrases and are my preference when trying to find phrases that are hard to achieve with standard multi-sampled libraries.

Of all of the ones I've listed. My preference is Cinematic Studio Strings. Very simple and easy to use Measured Trem articulation. The plus side to it is the fact that the rest of the library is awesome. I've been using a lot of it lately on a project I'm doing and the results of been great.

Best,

C

[edit: There are no tempo locked trills that I am aware of on the market.]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 at 1:56 AM
  11. OP
    OP
    Virtual Virgin

Jul 7, 2017
    Thanks for the rundown!

I noticed there are many trem patches on the new Strings Evo, but I don't know if they are tempo synced.

I find it very surprising that there are no tempo locked trills, with all of the other attention to articulations, dynamics and round robins it only seems natural to extend that detail to trills by recording them a few tempos and using the time machine to warp them as needed.

12. The Darris

The Darris Senior Member

Jun 19, 2012
    EVO Grid 3 is all tempo locked phrases so yes, they are synced. However, they don't play like multi-sampled articulations. They are designed to evolve from one state to another. Honestly, I've never come across a piece of music that had in tempo trills. Trills, by default, are almost aleotoric in nature. They are up to the performer and/or conductor on how they want them performed. For instance, soloists tend to play a lot of trills very rubato so the speed fluctuates. Spitfire's trills have two versions, slow attack and quick attack. Most just have a standard attack commensurate with the speed of the trills.

13. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

Have you ever spent sometime with HS? It truly is a remarkable library, not sure what you mean by hearing the envelopes. IMO, they are the best legato out there, hands down.

14. OP
    OP
    Virtual Virgin

Jul 7, 2017
    In the demos I often hear envelope applied to sample. Mostly the release. This gives it a manipulated "synthy" sound to my ears. It's a dead giveaway to me.

15. OP
    OP
    Virtual Virgin

Jul 7, 2017
    Not with you on this. The classical cadential trill is most often performed as a 32nd note alteration. Also, when you get to the romantic period and beyond there is lots of orchestration using strict trills. Try the opening of Petrushka for example.

In a Bach solo Adagio harpsichord piece, sure you'll get wavy gravy trills, but there is plenty of music where it's played straight.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017 at 4:51 PM
  16. The Darris

The Darris Senior Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I guess that makes sense. My bad. In reality, I guess most developers don't want to program their libraries to do that. It would take some work and for the best results, they would need to record 2-3 times the amount of samples at different tempos in order to give you enough flexibility to play the trills at a full tempo range. Personally, I don't care too much about the tempo sync'd aspect of trills versus being able to determine the releasing note. Most trill releases end on the starting pitch and sometimes you want the trill to end on the other note. To me, this would be an easy feature that just allows you to automate which release you want via midi CC's.

Regardless of all of that, nobody has created a library with tempo sync'd trills. There is a market for it I guess. I wonder who would consider doing it first?

17. OP
    OP
    Virtual Virgin

Jul 7, 2017
    Trills are a bit confusing! It used to be that the common trill was performed with auxiliary note fist, so for instance in the classical cadential trill would be notated on ^2 and start on ^3. Not only that but the 2nd to last note flips to a lower auxiliary tone before then resolving to ^1. This being the most common classical trill I am surprised there are not samples specifically for it yet given the level of detail coming in on some libraries.

I don't know the math on how many variations they would have to do to get the tempos to sync without exposing the timestretch function, but it seems only a matter of time before it ends up in a library. Actually, I was looking through the EVOs and expecting to see it given that those are texture based libraries and trills seem like they would fit into that.

18. Lotias

Lotias Senior Member

Sep 16, 2016
    It's kind of funny - while other companies haven't provided such a feature, VSL skipped it entirely and provided playable trills. You'd think someone would have tried to provide a middle ground.