What's new

What software to use for video, preview, walkthrough ?

fiestared

Vintage -but- not obsolete
Hey,
What software do you use and why, the "+" and "-" ? (I am on Mac OS Sierra)

Thanks a lot for your time.

HiEnergy

Just a human being
+1 for OBS, I also use this program. For recording the audio stream inside OBS I use my audio interface "loop back" channels (RME HDSP PCIe here)
For voiceover I use Reaper, for video cutting and titling I use Vegas and DaVinci Resolve.

Divico

+1 for OBS, I also use this program. For recording the audio stream inside OBS I use my audio interface "loop back" channels (RME HDSP PCIe here)
For voiceover I use Reaper, for video cutting and titling I use Vegas and DaVinci Resolve.
Do you route to the input of your OS? My interface hase loopback too but I cant use Windows's inputs for this.

storyteller

As long as you are Sierra, turn on the screen zoom function under Accessiblity Settings. It helps to zoom in back and forth on your videos - especially if you have a high DPI screen. High Sierra “appears” to function in the same way as Sierra in this regard, but screen capture via QuickTime distorts every time you zoom. It s a bug I hope they fix (maybe it has been in one of the recent updates?), but the zoom feature is a great tool for areas that are small on the screen.

For audio, the free Soundflower virtual audio driver will loop everything back in so you can record voice and hear your DAW at the same time.

bryla

Orchestrator
Screenflow is perfect for this. It can also show mouse pointer options and keystrokes.
It is easy to edit and annotate in the program as well.

garyhiebner

+1 for Screenflow. Been using it for years and works like a charm. Super easy to edit, and lots of callout and mouse options

garyhiebner

+1 for Screenflow. Been using it for years and works like a charm. Super easy to edit, and lots of callout and mouse options

HiEnergy

Just a human being
Do you route to the input of your OS?
Yes, those in/outputs in the lower area of the TotalMix mixing desk application that have the "loopback" setting checked, have their sound appear in Windows' SP/DIF inputs.
OBS then can pick up the sound of everything I route to those (including external sources like my JV1080 - see my Synfire videos where I've done exactly this)
No idea how this works, but it does.
using Voicemeter here
I've also tried Voicemeeter but given it the boot after I discovered that loopback possibility.

MarcusD

Custom title
EDIT:

OSB you can create loads of inputs / outputs use VST2 plugins (except waveshell vst) Capture multiple monitors and create overlays, switch between cameras with key commands etc... etc... record video, stream or do both at the same time. It's bloody epic for FREE software. I use Voice meter as my DAW driver then output Voice-meters output to OBS to capture the video + sound coming from the DAW. Happy days!

Last edited:

MatFluor

+1 for OBS as well

Meanwhile I use Camtasia, since I got it for 20 bucks on a humble bundle sale, together with a cool screenshot tool etc.

gregh

Looked at resolve when it first came out as a freebie. Was buggy and resource intense. Way more than i need. Bought Cyberlink Powerdirector and that is excellent. Not sure if it has a Mac version. I prefer Power Director to Premiere Pro, which I had used for years but got rid of when the Adobe subscription kicked in and my old Adobe products would no longer run. Only one I miss is Audition. Power Director has everything for normal video plus some things like tracking objects works better than in Premiere

Top Bottom