What's new

What sample rates and bit depths do you work with?

dman007

I'm a Cubase user, but this could apply to other DAWs too.

I usually work at 48kHz 24 bit (for media composition/orchestral) - or I should say that's what I export a mix to. In Cubase, I have templates with 48kHz 32-bit float.

What do you work at?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of 24-bit vs 32-bit vs 32-bit float?

No point in using 32bit, hardly any point in using 24bit but that's what I use. 48khz is good, if you're recording something you want to pitch/time stretch then a higher rate can improve the quality.

48 kHz / 24 bit is perfectly fine as long as you don't have to make dispositions for heavy DSP work (then I would suggest to stay in 32 bit FP), or absolutely future-proof archiving duties (... because in the latter case DSD would be the format of choice anyway).

Which is best for working with orchestral (and other) sample libraries? 24 bit or 32-bit float?

Which is best for working with orchestral (and other) sample libraries? 24 bit or 32-bit float?
24bit you will (likely) never need 32bit - your DAW performs all calculation internally at 32bit or higher anyway.

You might enjoy these videos:

This sounds dumb every time I say it but every *TV* production company I work with insists on getting 48/16. Never understood it but that's what I deliver. I work at 48/24.

Interesting, I always have to deliver 48/24 .aiff or .wav..

This sounds dumb every time I say it but every *TV* production company I work with insists on getting 48/16. Never understood it but that's what I deliver. I work at 48/24.
It might very well be that you were in contact with people who have "Picture!" written all over their forehead, with little to no idea about audio (apart from the fact that they somehow need it, dang). Their knowledge might come from the early Avid days, when we indeed had to deliver in 48/16/split stereo. :-P

Top Bottom