What's new

SAURON - The DAW All Media Composers Must Learn???

I just started using my wife’s old MBA. Couldn’t get C10 to run on Mojave so I loaded up Logic with the idea that I’ll sketch and export midi a tempo map and markers. I’m using Ultrabeat, Sculpture, whatever the worst piano or rhodes sound it comes with, Zebra, Diva in sketch mode, Reaktor, Kontakt (aiming to load 16bit LASS) and VCV rack. I use a KMI Qunexus. My kid smacks it, throws it and barfs on it and it still works fine. Sketching w meh sounds (or great sounds to be printed later) is fun. No interface. Sometimes earbuds, mostly the laptop speakers.

Christian do you tend to just write on headphones when you're traveling? I notice there are no speakers in your travel kit. Planes/trains/automobiles for sure, but how about hotel rooms etc? I'm starting to do that more and more I find...

What would yours be?

Very nice one, Christian!

Finalising details on my portable rig:
- Mac mini 64gb ram, 6 core, 2tb ssd (+14tb ssd external)
- NUC i7 32gb ram, 4 core, 5tb ssd (internal). Waiting on a BIOS update to install 64gb. There is an intel model that already accepts it, mine is a gigabyte.
- iPad Pro 13 (thinking on getting a slim usbc 15 4k one for extra monitor).
- bluetooth foldable full size typing keyboard (with numeric pad) + mouse
- Roli Songwriter kit
- Apogee one + Sony wh-1000mk3 (or Audio Technica’s ATM 50’s, it depends).
- Macbook pro i7, 4 core, 16gb for office work. (Not always, as needed, the ipad often does the job too).
- Sometimes I carry with me a korg nanokontrol too. (Faders on touch block part of the roli moves in “steps” because of the “holed” texture, which is a bit annoying...)

It does need external power, although I am trying to figure out a way to have one of the portable TSA approved powerbanks.

Not as portable as yours, and more heavy for sure, but, I can carry all that on my hand luggage and travel overseas with my full rig, which is what I need. I might take a few ideas from your setup, thanks for sharing!!!

Attachments

• 92AB6562-CD2C-4BD5-AB2E-49EC1B658B93.jpeg
    92AB6562-CD2C-4BD5-AB2E-49EC1B658B93.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 35
  • F2C195D2-AFBA-4F67-993D-BF08D22824AF.jpeg
    F2C195D2-AFBA-4F67-993D-BF08D22824AF.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 0E49CDCD-7AB4-42E2-ABF9-BF7F060ADBE7.jpeg
    0E49CDCD-7AB4-42E2-ABF9-BF7F060ADBE7.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 42DB287B-6E0D-4B8A-9433-42064412646D.jpeg
    42DB287B-6E0D-4B8A-9433-42064412646D.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 39
  • C061C9BE-3246-41C4-97F2-AB7EFF434C9E.jpeg
    C061C9BE-3246-41C4-97F2-AB7EFF434C9E.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 39
Very nice one, Christian!

Finalising details on my portable rig:
- Mac mini 64gb ram, 6 core, 2tb ssd (+14tb ssd external)
- NUC i7 32gb ram, 4 core, 5tb ssd (internal). Waiting on a BIOS update to install 64gb. There is an intel model that already accepts it, mine is a gigabyte.
- iPad Pro 13 (thinking on getting a slim usbc 15 4k one for extra monitor).
- bluetooth foldable full size typing keyboard (with numeric pad) + mouse
- Roli Songwriter kit
- Apogee one + Sony wh-1000mk3 (or Audio Technica’s ATM 50’s, it depends).
- Macbook pro i7, 4 core, 16gb for office work. (Not always, as needed, the ipad often does the job too).
- Sometimes I carry with me a korg nanokontrol too. (Faders on touch block part of the roli moves in “steps” because of the “holed” texture, which is a bit annoying...)

It does need external power, although I am trying to figure out a way to have one of the portable TSA approved powerbanks.

Not as portable as yours, and more heavy for sure, but, I can carry all that on my hand luggage and travel overseas with my full rig, which is what I need. I might take a few ideas from your setup, thanks for sharing!!!
Are you using the iPad as a monitor for your Mac mini or did I miss something. Because that sounds interesting.

Are you using the iPad as a monitor for your Mac mini or did I miss something. Because that sounds interesting.
Yes, using Duet. Great option! :)
There is another alternative called Luna.
It seems like the new Catalina OS has that feature built in, so, no need of 3rd party apps for such function!

Hope it helps!

Yes, using Duet. Great option! :)
There is another alternative called Luna.
It seems like the new Catalina OS has that feature built in, so, no need of 3rd party apps for such function!

Hope it helps!
Thank you! That is great. I always thought a mac mini would make a great portable option (for use in a hotel room - I drive a lot when I travel) but couldn't figure out the monitor aspect.

Looks fantastic Paul!
I love the blue/gray look and the "real" plaster is so much nicer than textured drywall mud.
Exciting days ahead!

Top Bottom