What's new

SAURON - The DAW All Media Composers Must Learn???

I've been watching that old Spitfire Audio studio build video so many times over the years. I brought the video series up again last week to check out how you built the floating floor and the walls. I'm about to build a small studio/room at home my self.. All done in 4-5 months.
Also the video showing the patchbay in PT video is very informative.

Best
Kai-Anders Ryan

This is very much warts n' all:

Very true and important stuff to be reminded of; and very relatable. Thanks for re-iterating it a few times. I've been trying to force myself to go out a bit more and do some light work-out at least for a few mins a day (+ staying better hydrated and avoiding just flat-out ignoring bodily things) and actually doing stuff that leads to something instead of just wasting time. Not just relating to music per se, but spending a lot of time in front of the screen overall (and burning my ears on top). Trying to keep at it (not always successful :P).

I feel I'm more productive during the period of 3/4-7 am but it's really not a good time... It probably has to do with it being a "dead" period, so it's just you and your mind so you can focus better, but then again it feels very unhealthy (it being a dead time also means there's nothing really keeping you in check or you're avoiding it). I tend to go in cycles but morning just feels right. Or better for maintaining a routine at least. I recently heard somewhere that one of the first things psychiatrists check is your sleeping schedule (don't quote me on that, I don't remember where, lol). Don't know if it's true or not but it seems logical. I guess it has to do with how "normal" and orderly your life is.

That thing you say about feeling like a failure is probably not a subconscious sign that you're doing what you're doing [very] wrong but that you aren't doing what you should be doing (doing something else entirely). And again that's not really entirely related to music but managing your life and your time. And where you give your attention and balancing/figuring out things, and then doing them properly or optimising the workflow or what have you.

And yes, social media may be important these days (I occasionally go on YouTube binges; big distraction though not entirely pointless) but the way I try to think about it is you need to do stuff to have stuff to show and share.

Btw, I edited out my own version of the video (audio), as some parts were a bit difficult to listen to and focus on:
https://mega.nz/#!wY5mgKpB!HSf_6Ny5MwjtRdpaLwtjUIMWIKPQvwjrD9PWvzwW2kI

It's hopefully easier for someone else too and helpful. Hope you don't mind.

On another note, I use saturation like there's no tomorrow.:ninja: A lot of stuff still seems very elusive to me but I keep trying... That's life, I guess. :geek::sad:

I'm a bass player and my favourite distortion pedal is the DarkGlass vintage microtubes. They do a vst version of it too although I've not got that.

I've not watched the distortion vid yet, I tend to watch your videos when I'm doing the ironing and I have a massive pile to do this weekend so I'll have a grand old catch up with your channel.

This is very much warts n' all:

Great video, please take care of yourself Christian! And in my book, you're a winner by so many metrics!
I can relate to how you feel though.

Whats your favourite distortion, in or out of the box?
I like the iconic swedish deathmetal sound that the Boss HM2 shaped, but I never actually use it. Digitally I sometimes use the exciter in Neutron Elements if that counts...

Important video on a serious matter. To take some time off, even when it´s chaos, is a good one. But I would recommend to spend it in some live music environment – may it be the local pub or the opera house. That kind of input can easily be forgotten in our time of rat races. I myself do pop down to Stockholm Philharmonics every Wednesday night and spend some 12 pounds on the cheapest seat, just to drown myself in the real stuff. Inspiring – everytime!

Take care Christian!

MOMA, Stockholm

Whats your favourite distortion, in or out of the box?

You're already using my two faves - Decapitator and Saturn.

SoundToys Radiator is nice too, as are SugarBytes Wow2 and my ancient and beloved OhmBoyz. The last two are a filter and delay respectively, but they have lovely distortion capabilities.

You're already using my two faves - Decapitator and Saturn.

SoundToys Radiator is nice too, as are SugarBytes Wow2 and my ancient and beloved OhmBoyz. The last two are a filter and delay respectively, but they have lovely distortion capabilities.

What is your favourite tweeting on the Saturn? Just trying to find the right sound, and it´s tough! Any advice is genuinely welcomed!

MOMA

What is your favourite tweeting on the Saturn? Just trying to find the right sound, and it´s tough! Any advice is genuinely welcomed!

MOMA

I don't have a particular favourite setting or preset on Saturn. I just try and think about exactly what I want to hear, and then try to learn how to do it. For distortion "styles", I love Warm Tube, Old Tape, Rectify and Smudge (which is kind of a different beast), but they all sound great.

The Modulation section can really take this thing in new directions. Presets are handy here, but that's only because I haven't dug into how to properly use the Modulation section.

What I really love about Saturn is that it's multiband, and I've found it amazingly useful to drive the lows or the highs independently (for example), while leaving the rest untouched.

I don't have a particular favourite setting or preset on Saturn. I just try and think about exactly what I want to hear, and then try to learn how to do it. For distortion "styles", I love Warm Tube, Old Tape, Rectify and Smudge (which is kind of a different beast), but they all sound great.

The Modulation section can really take this thing in new directions. Presets are handy here, but that's only because I haven't dug into how to properly use the Modulation section.

What I really love about Saturn is that it's multiband, and I've found it amazingly useful to drive the lows or the highs independently (for example), while leaving the rest untouched.

Thanks! I´ll have another go in the weekend. The lows and the highs are interesting!

Take care

MOMA

Reactions: KMA
Top Bottom