What percussion sounds are missing from your template?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by SoundTravels, Jan 9, 2019.

1. JMJ33101

JMJ33101 Member

Aug 24, 2018
    I think a good Solid Timpani freebie is what I need lol I’ll mostly use it if it a for classical purposes but if it’s for epic stuff then I don’t think I’d need an epic library

2. markleake

markleake Recovering sale addict

Nov 8, 2015
    I think a number of these are already covered by other well used existing orchestral libraries.

What isn't covered, like @Saxer says, is some of the most quiet rolls/sustains. The only library I know that does some of that well is Spitfire's HZ Perc, where, for example, the timpani rolls at very lowest dynamic are pretty amazing and just sound like a single sustained note... exactly what I'd want from this kind of playing.

Soft roll sustains on things like the mallets, a select few of the drums, or other instruments that support it. With some related effects, soft crescendos, soft single hits, etc. to mix it up a bit.... that would be fantastic. Record with close and far mics so you can mix between the 2. Done right that would cover a big gap in what I have.

SoundTravels likes this.
  3. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Local symphonic orchestra (Mainz Germany). They played a kind of 'best of' of their program... from Mozart to Wagner.

4. OP
    OP
    SoundTravels

SoundTravels Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Do you think a freebie pack of all ppp be useful? Or would you also want all the other dynamics p-fff in order to make the instrument useful?

Saxer and Wally Garten like this.
  5. Wally Garten

Wally Garten Active Member

Apr 23, 2018
    I actually think a pack of just the really soft playing, with a lot of variations or RRs, would be amazing -- and as someone said above, not well-served by other libraries that I'm aware of.

TheSigillite likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    SoundTravels

SoundTravels Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Cool! Let me see what I have time for!

Wally Garten likes this.
  7. JMJ33101

JMJ33101 Member

Aug 24, 2018
    I think multiple dynamics would be useful

8. markleake

markleake Recovering sale addict

Nov 8, 2015
    I'm of two minds on this. Sure, multiple larger dynamics of the same instruments is always useful, but if that means less of the ppp and pp samples, then I'd say I'd just prefer the ppp samples alone. Better to stick to getting that one thing sampled right, as others haven't. And better to get the low dynamic range accross a larger number of drums and instruments. As soon as you go for sampling lots of dynamics or bigger dynamic steps, you potentially have a huge task ahead of you, and lose the point of sampling those low dynamics well. I already have plenty of stuff that can do the normal dynamics.

So rolls, hits, effects at multiple low dynamics (very low up to mp maximum, unless for swells maybe) done well would be my preference on things like cymbals, drums, timpani, mallets, other aux/hand percussion. If you want to go for multi dynamics.

I'm just one man with one idea though. :)

Wally Garten likes this.
  9. elfman

elfman Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I'm pretty conventional. SA percussion is all I'll ever need. Some Taiko would be nice though.

10. OP
    OP
    SoundTravels

SoundTravels Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Oh man, that'd be great. No taikos at the rental house though... If anyone's going to Sundance with their taikos and will lend me them.... :)

11. Ale8ory

Ale8ory New Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Somehow I've been missing bell trees. Mark trees aplenty but no bell trees. image.png

SoundTravels likes this.
  12. Robo Rivard

Robo Rivard Active Member

May 11, 2016
    Québec
    Everything that can sound like the original Planet of the Apes soundtrack... I guess that involves lots of superball and scraping stuff.
    For timpanis, I guess my needs have already been covered by Modwheel's Timphonia.
    I think a bunch of rolls and chokes of any percussion instruments would be more than welcome, as long as they are well laid-out.

Phil Harmony and SoundTravels like this.
  13. dariusofwest

dariusofwest Active Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Suspended cymbal chokes- can't think of anything else.

SoundTravels and musicalweather like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    SoundTravels

SoundTravels Member

Nov 19, 2013
    That's a good idea! I looked at the rental house for one, and they don't have it... Maybe I'll start reaching out to Salt Lake city percussionists to figure out if I can get some of the stuff I'm missing!

15. OP
    OP
    SoundTravels

SoundTravels Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Agreed! I don't know why most perc libraries don't have more chokes? I'll try to squeeze a bunch in.

16. OP
    OP
    SoundTravels

SoundTravels Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Man, I love that score. I'll have to re-listen to try to figure out what the perc list is. Unless you have specifics you could point me to?

Thanks!

Phil Harmony likes this.
  17. pderbidge

pderbidge Senior Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Utah
    The company I work for provides a lot of gear for Sundance, unfortunately not musical instruments (mostly production gear) but I'll talk to the crews coming in and out and see if they have anything. Feel free to stop by the shop anytime while you're in town :)

18. Divico

Divico Active Member

Love to have the Percussion from the Isengart theme. Highly doubt youd like to sacrifice a piano though :P

Phil Harmony and SoundTravels like this.
  19. Batrawi

Batrawi Active Member

Jul 9, 2016
    I would love to see the percussion at the beginning of this music in sample world. Even though I have no clue what it is! my best guess is it could be a timpani played atonally (if that's even a thing)? but relying on you expert percussionists to define it / record it (if no library offers this already)

20. OP
    OP
    SoundTravels

SoundTravels Member

Nov 19, 2013
    I think I might have a line on a bell tree : ) I'll keep you posted!

Wally Garten likes this.