What percussion sounds are missing from your template?

Hey VI'rs!

I'm gonna do a couple days in professional studio recording a bunch of drums, cymbals, hand percussion etc. for my personal library.

Wanted to know if there's any instruments/sounds/techniques you all were missing from your templates that you're dying to have. Was thinking I'd put together a little freebie library that I could post here to give back to this awesome community.

I've always wanted to do a custom percussion library, so I just decided to take the dive. If anyone else has custom percussion library dreams, I'm seeing about booking more time to do a shared session (I have another post about that here: https://vi-control.net/community/th...custom-samples-overdubs-at-a-low-price.78579/ ) Let me know on that thread or PM me and we could probably work something out!

Thanks and let me know your suggestions!

DGB

OP
SoundTravels

SoundTravels

Possibly! It's a lot if I want to do like 5 timps... I was thinking about just getting one and doing more special effects.

What were you looking for?

JMJ33101

I would like to have at least 4? Hahaha No I think what’s missing is an all in one Timpani Patch that Keyswitches between Mallets and a dampening Keyswitch. Symphony series percussion has the dampening feature but not different Mallets. Are you doing like classical percussion as in orchestral perc? If you know Kurt Hans Goedicke, the Timpanist in the Original Star Wars Series, I’m looking for that kind of sound. You can hear him playing in the Main title of the A new hope from Star wars

OP
SoundTravels

SoundTravels

Ha! It's a great studio, but it might be hard to get the Abbey Road sound of those early Star Wars scores... which of course I want too...

I'm doing a bit drier because it's a smaller room, but I'm still doing orchestral (and some ethnic) stuff.

What mallets do you want - soft, medium, and hard? Or something really specific?

Living Fossil

There are some interesting sounds where you put a cymbal on a pedal timbal (i mean the singular of timpani ;) ), and while you play a cymbal roll, you tune the timbal down or up.

JMJ33101

Just came from a classical orchestra concert (as a listener) and was amazed by the amount of pp/ppp percussion rolls as a texture. Timpani, snare, cymbals and gong had a lot of short accents in a bed of 'tremolo'. That rolls in ppp is a layer very few libraries offer.
Who were you listening to? That is a good observation with all the Epic sample libraries

OP
SoundTravels

SoundTravels

Just came from a classical orchestra concert (as a listener) and was amazed by the amount of pp/ppp percussion rolls as a texture. Timpani, snare, cymbals and gong had a lot of short accents in a bed of 'tremolo'. That rolls in ppp is a layer very few libraries offer.
Yeah, I want to try to get a LOT of velocity layers, especially the ppp ones. I agree, and there are never enough rr so if you're doing something only at ppp it starts to sound terrible. Thanks!

OP
SoundTravels

SoundTravels

Hard and medium is good enough. If you were doing Timpani, what skinhead would you use?
The gig will be while I'm out of LA at Sundance so it'll have to be whatever the rental house has... Unless there are any Kurt Goedicke cover bands in Utah, maybe I can borrow their timps... :)