What's new

What orchestra bundle?

No.

In all seriousness, while the brass is freaking good (and ironically, Spitfire SSO's weakest link), the woodwinds are just a bunch of rather aggressive soloists and good luck programming anything else than sustained notes or spiccatos with those strings. I spent over a year using them as my main tools, saved money and bought SSO instead and almost cried from happiness when I first used it on a williamsy stuff.
I do have issues with hanging notes that annoy the hell out of me but the Cinesamples sound is top notch. The last version 1.4 reinvented the legatos in Cinestrings, give it a try, it's great!

Ignore the bad programming in this mockup and focus on the sound only

it's hard to dismiss Cinesamples. Brass, strings and percussion sound astounding, woodwinds usable after the last update too.

Hard agree. You’ll end up in phasing hell
Different perspective: I don’t think it’s always that big a deal, and I’ve frequently gotten good results combining solo instruments into an ensemble. To be fair, though, that’s usually on the context of small groups, not something the size of a full orchestra. And I agree that for maximum flexibility it is good to have some ensemble samples in your pocket.

Different perspective: I don’t think it’s always that big a deal, and I’ve frequently gotten good results combining solo instruments into an ensemble. To be fair, though, that’s usually on the context of small groups, not something the size of a full orchestra. And I agree that for maximum flexibility it is good to have some ensemble samples in your pocket.
To be clear. I use solo instruments all the time, for quartet / quintet / octet type work. YMMV. I specifically meant using solo instruments as an alternative for EWHO, BBCSO and some of the other options that were mentioned. IMHO that’ll NEVER work ;)

Only if you are using the same solo instrument. That's why libraries with multiple individual instruments are important. You can't get phasing problems with them.

As Wenlone mentioned solo instruments, what if I buy and use only solo instruments and then layer,pan,etc,?I guess solo instruments are more detailed?I know it will be hard work to make whole orchestra at first but in Studio one I can combine into groups and make template?
It's usually not a good idea to layer different solo instruments that are not made for that job. Libraries like Berlin Brass are recorded in situ, so they are made for playing together as an ensemble.

Also do not forget ensemble instruments also create sample buildup if you play multiple notes. Which makes it sound muddier.
They talked about it here:

Yeah that was stupid idea with only solo instruments..Of course real orchestra is not recorded the way that every instruments is isolated source of sound but rather each microphone take all sounds around him to some degree..
I will definitly try Eastwest and then hopefully have a better idea what I like or what I miss...

Again, to clarify my post. I think the OP meant he wanted to use multiple instances of “a violin sample” to create his own ensemble of violins. ;) Which is not a viable strategy
Well, you are right about that. Strings are another story because of the player count. We still have to use ensembles for strings. (plus first chairs) You can consider divisi strings are equivalent to individual instruments.

It's hard to disagree with any of the previous posts. Most high end libraries are great, and some smaller ones are doing some really great stuff aswell. I find that the most important thing is to really know your libraries well. They all take some time to learn and get the most out of.

Me personally love Cinematic Studio Series. They can be difficult to work with in the beginning but i love the sound and that they are quite easy to blend with other libraries. And the way they handle the articulations suits me well. Check their walkthroughs to see if you like the way they work. And for how they sound, here's something i did with CSS and Ólafur Arnalds Chamber Evolutions.

Kassbot-I definitly like Cinematic Studio Series sound the most out of all mentioned..Judging only by those youtube examples ofcourse..Unfortunatelly CSS its way out of my budget..:(
Good job btw!!

Kassbot-I definitly like Cinematic Studio Series sound the most out of all mentioned..Judging only by those youtube examples ofcourse..Unfortunatelly CSS its way out of my budget..:(
Good job btw!!
Oh, maybe you said that earlier? Sorry for missing that. And thank you very much! :D

Yeah that was stupid idea with only solo instruments..
Well... I certainly did not want to qualify your idea as such! As a matter of fact, the idea makes a lot of sense on paper. However, most of us have found out at some point that samples (of solo instruments) are mere recordings of just a couple of performances by one player and therefore are hardly comparable with having multiple players in a room playing “elbow-to-elbow”. Both in terms of sound characteristics and musicality. But your original idea is far from stupid - I was merely trying to point out that the chances of succeeding are fairly low ;)

Doctoremmet-I guess its something similar with drums?If you have individual sounds- sample kick,snare,etc., its really hard to make it sound as natural as drums that were standard recorded in one room,with overheat mics,room mic,etc...
mybadmemory-Hm, I dont want to go above 600 bucks...

RMH- Funny,on those loud full orchestra parts I prefer BBC,on those quiet parts I like CS..Oh man this is so hard...

Reactions: RMH
I would not use solo instruments for anything other than solo passages. Combining them into a full orchestra will not create a realistic sounding result

With different solo libs from several developers, this might be true.

Having said that, for Berlin Brass and Winds, it's the concept and an advantage in detail, as long as you're not running short on ram & cpu.
Sascha Knorr describes why so, very well here, starting at 4:45

mybadmemory-Hm, I dont want to go above 600 bucks...
In that range the obvious options are BBCSO Core, Nucleus or EW Subscription. Of those three EW is probably closest to the Williams Hollywood sound, tough I can’t say more about it since I haven’t tried it. Nucleus sound is probably a bit to modern, and BBC might be to classic, though I absolutely love it myself. :)

Hm, I dont want to go above 600 bucks...
I would go with EastWest composer cloud (the subscription is half price of you are a student) and then hold out for a sale. BBC SO Pro on a 40% sale (which i it have been a few times before) so would be $600 or a little less if you get the free BBC SO Discover.

EastWest Hollywood Opus would probably be a little bit more, but as this is new (it is an update on a older product) it is hard to know what the future sale price will be.

waiting for a good sale is my main advice and use EastWest compost cloud in between as this will probably new idea for now and by the time of the sales you might have a clear idea of what you need

Combining them into a full orchestra will not create a realistic sounding result. :)
Unless you're Rohan Delivera ;)

Top Bottom