What's new

What library for getting the Peter Gabriel "Book of love" strings

erikradbo

Hi,

I'm looking for strings to create warm and intimate strings with still a little bit of edge, to use in songs with a similar sound to Book of love with Peter Gabriel:

I have tried a blend between Albion Loegria and Tundra, which brings me halfway there, but still lacking the edge I think. The other Albions are too epic. I also tried blending in a bit of Bohemian violin, but doesn't work with all the vibrato. I'm fearing that SCS would be the best choice, but my wallet hopes it's not. Perhaps CSS? It's a small ensemble, so maybe even some solo stuff, such as Macabre solo strings?

Last edited:
I like LASS for this kinds of strings, you have several number of players plus first and second charis. It can be intimate and it has a distinctive edge.

CSS prob too big, too much vibrato, unless possibly the close mics only. Perhaps SCS or Light & Sound Chamber Strings.

Thanks for posting, didn't know about that lovely version of that song. Really nice brass in it too, which must have been recorded in a separate session.

Well that's bloomin' amazing. Would never have thought it. Great work Jeremiah.
What a difference the EQ makes also.

It's good to note though that using EQ on CSS for this kind of sound is very necessary. Here's how the same passage sounds with no EQ (same mics and reverb): https://clyp.it/fsdyzpg4

Wow, thanks for the amazing CSS showcase. Hm, might have to get CSS then...I have always missed some of the glitter in CSS, but this sounded great, that EQ really lifted the blanket. And maybe you could also blend in a little sneaky Loegria half section in the background to get some glitter when needed...:).

Thanks everyone for the input, have been surfing around and also downloaded the intimate strings Lite, which are also in the ballpark. Might use that until my wallet thickens.

May I ask what reverb you used for this Jeremiah?

Great comparison. Thanks so much for taking time out to do this, Saxer. Think CSS wins it. SCS sounds good also, but to me it's not quite as realistic / unified. There is more dynamics and a bit of volume 'pumping' in SCS, don't know if that is more baked in the samples (unlikely) or is down to its reaction to the mod wheel. The CSS example is straighter / less dynamics.

Thanks so much for the SCS version Saxer! Agreed with Byzantium that CSS feels more to the point and SCS has more of a pumping feeling, and I'm also curious if this is it a matter of slow attack that can be globally adjusted, or if it's mod wheel action (or built in).

It also shows what I've always felt about CSS, that it feels a little boxed in comparison, the stereo image is clearly wider and the sound more open with SCS. However, without the comparison between the two, I wouldn't notice it with CSS, and this example actually shows that CSS might be closer to this original and that good real recordings aren't always that bright and wide as with Spitfire samples.

Top Bottom