1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this crazy brass ensemble?

Discussion in 'Acoustic & Orchestral instruments' started by Rodney Money, Oct 12, 2017 at 9:26 AM.

1. Rodney Money

Rodney Money Yes, that's my real name.

Mar 6, 2015
    Concerning wind ensemble instrumentation this is almost perfect since it ditches most of the woodwinds (brass humor,) but is this a typical instrumentation concerning the Netherlands? It's like they ditched the flutes and clarinets (which they should) replacing them with the greatest instrument ever, the flugelhorn! And a bunch of flugelhorns at that. And then it's also like someone wanted to make a brass band but forgot that saxophones are actually woodwinds! Lol.

Living Fossil likes this.
  2. TGV

TGV Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    There's quite a tradition in amateur brass orchestras. The three types distinguished are "harmonieorkest" with woodwinds, brass and percussion, and "fanfare" and "brassband", both with brass instruments, but the former one can also have saxophones: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanfare_orchestra. And, according to an experienced conductor, in a fanfare the flugelhorn is the lead instrument, whereas it's the cornet for brassband.

So yes, and saxophones are shiny, anyway.

JohnG and Rodney Money like this.
  3. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    :2thumbs:

Rodney Money likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Rodney Money

Mar 6, 2015
    It's like my dream ensemble except I would change the saxophones to all alto horns, and add 3 cornets, 1 Eb cornet, 3 trumpets, and a piccolo trumpet, or something like that, lol. Thank you for the link and info!

5. OP
    OP
    Rodney Money

Mar 6, 2015