What's new

What is the Pulse Downloader, and why are we using it? (w/ Video Tutorial!)

This is pretty far down the list on our feature requests as very few customers (3 so far) have requested this. Most people don't store the compressed files - they just copy the folders. Recompressing would only take 2-3 mins extra before you copy across to another drive, so to be honest, we're still not 100% sure its worth adding this :)
Sure. I understand. Thank you.

This is pretty far down the list on our feature requests as very few customers (3 so far) have requested this. Most people don't store the compressed files - they just copy the folders. Recompressing would only take 2-3 mins extra before you copy across to another drive, so to be honest, we're still not 100% sure its worth adding this :)

I don't get that, really. How hard is it to add a check box to select to keep the files, and then just do not delete them? Thanks.

I can see why this does not appear to be an essential feature that many users are demanding. But my entire rig and way of organizing my libraries is predicated on having an archive from which I can do a fresh install whenever I clobber the working copy of something. And on a set of habits determining how I do installations and updates. As a result, downloader/installers like Pulse (and 8Dio's app and a few others) that make me go through different hoops, because they delete the downloaded files, are an obstacle to be overcome.

Personally, Watermark is my favorite copyright protection because, indeed, it doesn't impact us as users. So i'm cool with that. As for Pulse Downloaded, I used it for around 10 libraries. Worked well for all of them but one (forgot which one). I was a real pain in the ass. I forgot how but I finally found a way to download the stuff, but it took me two to three hours while relaunching the download every five minutes. It was a real pain. As I said, no problem with the other ones, though. So, hopefully, it's just a bug that won't happen again. ;)

I would like to report that a few days ago I encountered an issue where specific libraries from one developer wouldn't download or install. This was resolved with a bug fix to Pulse is a little over three days. That's pretty good customer support -- as a former programmer I know that bugs in code can be very elusive. Thanks, Emmett.

I would like to report that a few days ago I encountered an issue where specific libraries from one developer wouldn't download or install. This was resolved with a bug fix to Pulse is a little over three days. That's pretty good customer support -- as a former programmer I know that bugs in code can be very elusive. Thanks, Emmett.

Thanks @rrichard63!

By the way...version 40.0.6 is now out with some additional small bug fixes :)

When I was an IT engineer for 16 yrs, I used to deal with network infrastructure protocols that are referenced in documents called "RFC's". No matter what device in my infrastructure, they all speak the same protocols. This is the concept of standardization and unity. In my opinion, it's not a rocket science for the sample libraries vendors to cooperate and develop a UNIFIED downloader to deal with all the downloads from different vendors. It's really not practical to end up installing eight different downloaders. And I still call myself a light buyer. If I am a heavy buyer, I would end up having dozens of downloaders.

My 2 cents ..

Downloaders all suck. The really bad ones (like Pulse) don't allow the user to save the compressed download files. So Pulse, as you have no intention of ever allowing this, what type of files are they and where are they hidden? With other downloaders that don't give you this option, I can generally copy them to another location before they are deleted.

Oh, and by the way Pulse, your downloader wasted about an hour of my time this morning because it wouldn't keep downloading. I finally had to manually delete it and install the latest version. So much for auto updating.

Downloaders all suck. The really bad ones (like Pulse) don't allow the user to save the compressed download files. So Pulse, as you have no intention of ever allowing this, what type of files are they and where are they hidden? With other downloaders that don't give you this option, I can generally copy them to another location before they are deleted.

Oh, and by the way Pulse, your downloader wasted about an hour of my time this morning because it wouldn't keep downloading. I finally had to manually delete it and install the latest version. So much for auto updating.

Sorry to hear you had issues. It sounds like you were using a very old version of the app that didn't have auto update in it. As you are now on the latest version, you will find the app updates itself automatically for you now.

You can compress the files after download using any free program, then move them across to another drive. Here is a guide on how to use Winrar: https://www.wikihow.com/Use-WinRAR

Please feel free to drop us an email to [email protected] if you have any questions or issues :)

It was version 38; the one I installed was 40. 38 was about a year old; certainly new enough to auto update.

Really? That's your solution? I have to re-compress the files. This misses the whole point of saving what was downloaded. Why won't you tell me what kind of files they are and where they are?

If you look at the folder you told Pulse to download to, you will notice that it is getting bigger even though there is nothing visible in it. On macOS, if you select that folder and press Command+Shift+. (yes, that's a period) you will see a .pulse folder with a download folder in it. Just copy the rar files out of it. Unfortunately, you have to keep an eye on it so that you get the last one before it uncompresses and deletes them.

What an unnecessary PITA. :mad:

AND, don't forget to press Command+Shift+. to undo it. You really don't want all of your hidden folders and files exposed.

Last edited:
Just copy the rar files out of it. Unfortunately, you have to keep an eye on it so that you get the last one before it uncompresses and deletes them.

What an unnecessary PITA
It's easier to do as @pulsedownloader suggests, and recompress the package as installed. As I have said before in this thread, I think this inconvenience should not be necessary, and it is relatively easy for the developer to fix the problem. But @tmpc is expressing our shared opinion in an unnecessarily belligerent way. That's not going to get either of us any closer to what we want.

Thank you @Andrew Aversa for doing this post. For me, the only problem was the first time: "What is this Pulse thing?"

But it didn't take long to figure it out. The first download went without a hitch, and then the second and the third. I like Pulse.

So many companies have their own downloaders, from Continuata to Sonokinetic to UVI to Output to NI to Steinberg to iZotope, etc. I like the idea that there could be one downloader that would work well for a lot of developers. And I like that Continuata gets a little competition.

If it makes developers' jobs easier, I am all for it.

It is not the end of the world for me to have a few non-compressed copies of software on my backup drive.

Thank you @Andrew Aversa for doing this post. For me, the only problem was the first time: "What is this Pulse thing?"

But it didn't take long to figure it out. The first download went without a hitch, and then the second and the third. I like Pulse.

So many companies have their own downloaders, from Continuata to Sonokinetic to UVI to Output to NI to Steinberg to iZotope, etc. I like the idea that there could be one downloader that would work well for a lot of developers. And I like that Continuata gets a little competition.

If it makes developers' jobs easier, I am all for it.

It is not the end of the world for me to have a few non-compressed copies of software on my backup drive.
I prefer Pulse over Continuata.
I almost always have problems with Continuata I have never had a problem with Pulse.
I find Continuata so troublesome recently reinstalling some OT libraries I did it manually,I find it easier and less problematic than using Continuata.

I might be wrong but can’t you always access products you already have in the Pulse app if you need to install again?

It's easier to do as @pulsedownloader suggests, and recompress the package as installed. As I have said before in this thread, I think this inconvenience should not be necessary, and it is relatively easy for the developer to fix the problem. But @tmpc is expressing our shared opinion in an unnecessarily belligerent way. That's not going to get either of us any closer to what we want.
The point of saving the downloaded files is that they are the original. Uncompressing them proves that they work. How do you know recompressed files aren't corrupt? Uncompress them again? What a waste of time.

As for being "unnecessarily belligerent", I literally wasted a several hours this morning trying to figure out why Pulse at first wouldn't work, and then a way around this particular problem. So, forgive me for not being Mr. Happy about it.

Top Bottom