What is the best Ukulele Library?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Ultraxenon, May 30, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    Ultraxenon

Ultraxenon Active Member

Sep 15, 2015
    Sande
    I have actually used the ukulele from Amplesound pretty much since i bought it almost a year ago and i think it sounds amazing. I'm really happy with it and i highly recommend it

2. ghandizilla

ghandizilla Active Member

I have a friend, I send him the parts, he records them for me, and even if we live in the same city we do most of this work remotely (send chord progressions, receive file by mail one hour later). So it may be a workaround if like me you don't own any uku library.

3. NickThacker

NickThacker Sonata & Scribe

Another Oahu resident here. Made an account just to tell you: this library is phenomenal! Thanks for creating it!

Old Timer likes this.
  4. Old Timer

Old Timer Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Hey Nick - that's really kind. Thanks. So glad you like the library. If you have the time it would be great if you could review it over at Sampleism. Best wishes, OT.

5. hypnotize

hypnotize New Member

Dec 24, 2018
    My best strum libriry is Wavesfactory Ukulele Strum 2.0. Solo ukulele I prefer Pettinhouse - Ukulele guitar. Dont like 8Dio Ukulele, for me it doesn't sound natural.

By the way, if in Wavesfactory Ukulele Strum 2.0 cut a low frequencies (50-100 Hz) because there is no characteristic sound ukulele, raise a little high (from 10 kHz) to give a little bit of brightness and to emphasize characteristic strumming, and tidy up a bit middle (removing unnecessary resonances) - it sounds very natural.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  6. ChrisSiuMusic

ChrisSiuMusic Senior Member

I love the uke from Swing! Easy to use and sounds fantastic.

ReelToLogic likes this.
  7. R. Soul

R. Soul Senior Member

Jan 7, 2006
    London, UK
    Coincidently the 8dio Uke is on flash sale today for $38. Has anbody tried it?

I have their acoustic guitar and found it very limited. If it's similar I'll skip it.

8. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts No Time for Honky-Tonk

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Monkberry and lumcas like this.
  9. TheSteven

TheSteven Lunatic in training...

8dio Instant Ukulele Guitar on sale $38
    https://8dio.com/instrument/instant-ukulele/

[​IMG]
    Overview for Ukulele Bundle VST
    • Flash Sale: $38! (goes $148 01/18 10AM PST)
    • Kontakt VST / AU / AAX
    • 6.700 Samples. 4.3GB HDD (compressed from 8.7GB)
    • Multi-Sampled Ukulele Solo
    • Multi-Sampled Ukulele Guitar Strummer
    • 15 Ukulele Solo Presets
    • 13 Strummer Chords in 12 keys and 12 Rhythms
    • Advanced Chaos FX 3.2 System
    • Product only available as Direct Download
    • Full Retail Version of Kontakt 5.5 (or later) Required

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  10. Dominik

Dominik New Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Germany
    8Dio Ukulele is nice but limited. The strummer consists of some patterns which sound very good. The problem is that there is some very "human" rhythm in most of the patterns which can collide with the rhythm of your song. Another donwside is that the recording is in full stereo width which makes it difficult to mix because there are happening things in both channels which are nearly uncorrelated. Narrowing the stereo field sounds a little weird, however.

Thumbs down for the Wavesfactory library. I have it and I think it´s completely useless.

What I find very interesting is the Ukulele from Project Sam Swing but actually I would prefer some library which has an architecture like MusicLab. I haven´t found such yet, however.

11. Old Timer

Old Timer Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Hi - what is the MusicLab architecture you refer to?

12. Dominik

Dominik New Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Germany
    You hold a chord with the right hand and strumm with the left hand.

13. Guy Rowland

Guy Rowland Senior Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Yeah, stereo is all over the shop (this is the signature 8dio sound after all), but actually I find no real issues monoing it with a spatializer. There's no onboard spatializer effect sadly, which is the one built-in effect I'd actually use. I find my call on bitcrushing ukuleles surprisingly limited, I must be hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Why on earth record a Uke in stereo anyway?!

Waves Factory is a sweeter tone, but there's just major and minor chords with no pattern engine, and I can't convincingly manually strum with it. For 8dio's flaws, it's gonna get a lot more use than Waves Factory here - a decent use of $38 imo.

Land of Missing Parts likes this.
  14. Dominik

Dominik New Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Germany
    Yes, why stereo? I would prefer a solid mono and additionally a stereo room mic to blend in. Spatializer works of course but I feel like there is some miscorrelation between left and right which leads to phasing. But I would take it for this price nevertheless. I did some nice songs with it.

15. R. Soul

R. Soul Senior Member

Jan 7, 2006
    London, UK
    Acousticsamples one can do that. Unfortunately it's not a Soprano ukulele, but a concert one.

Guy: The Wavesfactory one can sound very realistic. My main issue with it is the fact that some of the RR have been recorded with some proximity issues, and as a result it has a severe peak around 300-400 HZ which ruins it a bit.

16. Dominik

Dominik New Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Germany
    Thanks I will check.

Wavesfactory is a question of taste. I just dislike the recording very much. 8Dio sounds way better to me.

17. R. Soul

R. Soul Senior Member

Jan 7, 2006
    London, UK
    That's interesting.
    I have listened to all the Ukulele Vi's I could find including 8dio, Adventure sounds, Pettinhouse, Amble sounds, Antonov samples and Acousticsamples. And some Hawaiian one which name escapes me now, and Wavesfactory has the best tone IMO.

I mean 8dio sounds fine but if you can't do your own strumming, it's of no interest to me.

18. pderbidge

pderbidge Senior Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Utah
    The problem with these 8Dio guitar/Uke/madolin type libraries is that they are just too limited. The real gem in these are the phrase based portions of the library where you can get a more convincing strum, but in that you also need a laundry list of strums to choose from that can be mixed and matched in order for it to be useful. That in and of itself I'm sure is a challenge on top of the fact that there needs to be an easy way to sift through all of those strums/phrases in order to help the composer work faster. When you look at what Native instruments has done with their strummed acousticts 1&2, Electric Sunburst and Impact Soundworks Acoustic Strum 3, as well as Ujam's instruments- I own them all and they are all great and when you compare them to 8Dio you quickly see how limited these 8DIO strumming libraries are.
    What I really wish is that Toontrack would get into this game. They have the best engine for this type of thing and the ability to buy additional add on packs as they come out would be awesome!

19. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Has anybody with this instrument — or any of the other 8Dio libraries for which complaints regarding 'stereo field anomalies' abound — tried using a stereo field adjustment plug-in like Brainworx' bx_control V2 (with built-in "Mono Maker" tool, which allows you to "set a threshold frequency below which the stereo signal of your track or mix becomes mono with no loss of power or fidelity") and which "offers solo monitoring to . . . phase-corrected S (stereo difference signal)"?

I wonder how easy it would be to solve all 8Dio library stereo field-related problems with something like that...???

20. hypnotize

hypnotize New Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I do not think that there is a universal solution to this problem. Most often, it all depends on the library itself and how the samples were recorded. I tried initially to bring the signal to almost mono, and then use a stereo reverb, but I didn’t really like the result. For myself, I found a solution: I load the library twice and pan up 60-70 percent left and right, and in one of the tracks I make a very small displacement, so I get quite a good stereo, as if the double track.