What's new

What is the best investment you've ever made in audio?

cloudbuster

eɪlɪəˈtɒr
#1 - Bitwig Studio ... actually it's one of the best things I ever bought in my life. Endless fun and inspiration. Looking forward to feeding it with signals from my scientific instruments (still in storage) and making beats from molecular vibes of funny substances (among other things).

In-ear monitors/USB-DACs - too much stuff to mention, most of it custom made and modded, more or less replaced my full-sized cans on the road.

Tascam DR-150 - a bit on the bulky side for what it is but always there when I need it.

My Android phablet (Xiaomi MAX2 + 512GB micro SD) - hosts my music collection and Caustic, an Android DAW for quick sketches or beats wherever I am.

Gibson ES-355 ... I only wish I could play that thing like the maniac I bought it from, lol.

Other software? Ozone, my beloved collection of channel strips, UA Triad, ...

Edit: Looking forward to buying a Linnstrument, especially for the bunch of hybrid instruments I've been cooking up lately, a standard keyboard just doesn't cut it here.

Last edited:

TomislavEP

1) Switching to REAPER from Pro Tools as my primary DAW
2) Purchasing and maintaining Komplete Standard as a solid foundation of my software collection

ThomasNL

Thomas van der Burg
Definitely my computer. Getting a beast of a machine with 64gb of ram has given me so much freedom to compose. When I sometimes have to use my crappy laptop, I get reminded what I had to deal with before getting the computer.

Technostica

Subscription! Get off my lawn.
s-l500.jpg

Manaberry

I guess my best purchase ever is my audio interface.
It's an Apollo x6 (pre-owned for 6 weeks only). I got it for $1800 and the seller bought it during the promotional offer last year without redeeming the offer. So I got a free DSP satellite with it.

Tremendouz

Two NVMe SSDs for samples, 1TB and 2TB. Sure, they costed €400 total but I love how quickly everything loads.

32GB RAM coming from 8GB (could've gone for more but I wanted to reuse my existing stick, thus 4x8GB)

AudioLoco

Have been buying and collecting gear for decades being an old man etc....

My best investment probably was my first set of Spitfire samples. (The Symphonic series + Albion one.)
It let me do my first composing job and sound "proper" right away, and open a world of possibilities.

GtrString

Focusrite Isa Two is my best investment. I use it for almost everything drums, bass, vocals, acoustic guitars and other instruments. I can change the impedance for mics (highly useful), record stereo, use guitar pedals as inserts ect. Just an awesome piece of kit!

Gerbil

My Disklavier. A simple U1. Bought it with my first proper gig wages in the early 90s. It's been updated since and still works beautifully. It's a riot going a bit Nancarrow on a mad weekend.

AudioLoco

Are you still using those?
Albion, less and less. The full brass, wood sections and the percussion kits are still getting fired up here and there and are useful.

The Symphonic stuff? Every single day!
The woodwinds and brass especially are still my go-to.

bill5

I didn't know where else to put it as it was a broad topic :)
d'oh, looked at this more closely, didn't realize there wasn't a "general" music topic :)

I suspect my upcoming Nektar 88 will be on the list shortly but I hope don't jinx it!

NYC Composer

Going by sheer return numbers (not really in order except for the first three):

1. the Roland Orchestral library for the S-700 series on CD-ROM.
2. EWQLSO
3. SampleModeling brass and saxes
4. Art Vista VGP 2
5. Cubase since the first version of VST
6. the Spectrasonics trio (Omni, Stylus, Trilian)
7. Valhalla Room
8. Komplete since Komplete 2

Monkberry

Going by sheer return numbers (not really in order except for the first three):

1. the Roland Orchestral library for the S-700 series on CD-ROM.
2. EWQLSO
3. SampleModeling brass and saxes
4. Art Vista VGP 2
5. Cubase since the first version of VST
6. the Spectrasonics trio (Omni, Stylus, Trilian)
7. Valhalla Room
8. Komplete since Komplete 2
I have a similar background. In my earlier days I started with sample CDR's (including Spectrasonics and EastWest early days) and and an Akai S3000XL sampler using Digital Performer and then Logic. Eventually, I moved to Komplete 2 and EastWest Composer Collection w/ EWQLSO which was a giant step forward from Peter Seidlecek's Advanced Orchestra.
The most important investments at this point are:
PC I built in 2019 running Windows 10
Cubase Pro
NI Komplete series w/ Kontakt
Spectrasonics Omnisphere & Trilian for fretless bass
Toontrack Superior 3

Top Bottom