What is Reaper bad at?

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by ComposerWannabe, May 26, 2017.

1. Bansaw

Bansaw Member

May 12, 2018
    A graphic designer is a very key player on an interface design team. You don't create an interface design team without including a graphic designer - someone skilled in visuals.
    Houseofwhitie may (or may not, who knows) have been frustrated and went away and created a collection of skins that are really much more visually pleasing.

2. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Yeah, this works, but besides (as you point out) not being able to work from the MIDI editor, it's a bunch of extra PIA steps.

The option to be able to draw lines for CC input is a very old feature request, the one that more than anything else I wish would be implemented. But if it hasn't been added by now it's a virtual certainty that it won't ever be.

To return to the original title of the thread, this is what Reaper is bad at. The vertical bars suck.

3. Audio Birdi

Audio Birdi Active Member

Dec 28, 2012
    It's going to be added, they're testing and implementing it in the pre-release builds right now :D

HammyHavoc and Quasar like this.
  4. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Really!? That would be bloody awesome... Going to go to Cockos and look in the pre-release area.

storyteller and Audio Birdi like this.
  5. StephenForsyth

StephenForsyth Member

May 3, 2013
    We all make the mistake of underrating the JS effects at the start don't worry ;)

6. TomislavEP

TomislavEP New Member

Thanks for the heads-up!

I'm happy to hear they're working on it since this was always one of the more popular requests that still hasn't been fulfilled despite the fact REAPER is updated with new features quite regularly. On the other hand, it will probably take quite some time to get accustomed to it when it finally arrives. As I've said earlier, once you get comfortable using scripts and tools, editing CC events in MIDI editor is actually quite intuitive and fluid, almost as when using curves and points. But the current out-of-the-box abilities for editing CC events in MIDI editor is definitely too limited and cumbersome, so it would be great to see some improvements in this field in any way.

HammyHavoc likes this.
  7. artmanjam

artmanjam New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    I conceide you're right, I'm just talking about ReaEQ which does the job, nothing more, actually a bit less. I'm mostly using Vienna Suite EQ which works quite similar, the difference is huge.

Just had a look to one or two here and there, and the verbs then, ouch, no way for me. So you're right, my judgement is uncomplete indeed. One day I'll explore the rest, maybe (not sure, the UIs are terribly not exciting).

8. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    ReaVerb is an ok convolver, so reverb quality there will depend on the quality of IRs you put into it... :)

9. artmanjam

artmanjam New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Actually it's a terrible feature when working with picture and for post. That means you can immediately loose the exact item start (and end) point. If ever you extend item snap disabled (assuming you had a safe 1 frame snap) and move the item then, you just loose the sync of this item. Just try this with, let's say two mono items of a stereo sound. How to recover phase then, sample accurate, to go back to normal...

This is an uncomprehensible and unsafe feature imo. I can get its utility for some kind of uses but it should be an option only, at least.

The infinite item, the 'time selection'-drag thing, the cursor concept. These 3 are the worst features of Reaper and they aren't secondary ones.

Apart from that, many nice features in the app, versatility of the tracks etc. But not the most evident workflow, still talking about audio and post, not midi I didn't check ;)

10. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Well there's undo if you accidentally move an item... :) You could also use the Nudge dialog to move the contents of selected items to the same position, bringing them back to sync?

Also... right click the Lock button in the default toolbar, there are options to lock all sorts of stuff, including item edges, if you don't want to accidentally resize items. Might be useful?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    coolbass likes this.
  11. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    Uhh, not even close.

12. artmanjam

artmanjam New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Sure, I implemented a script to setup the nudge to + or - 1 frame (one for 25fps, another for 30fps) as it was not naturally available ;)
    About nudging to recover the sync, it works as long as you didn't quit the snap mode meanwhile. If you did, good luck, game's over, for critical phase material I mean.

BTW, the best DAW is the one you're using and you have skills on. I'm working on another one and indeed, we all try to replicate what we're doing with our usual DAW.

That said, I have to say that when I discovered Nuendo (and Cubase following) in the early 2000's, I was very suspicious first. I had a huge one year 1/2 long upcoming Disney project including thousands of files were I couldn't have even a single 1 frame mistake somewhere, no way. After having a serious look to Nuendo, I knew I could trust it. And it worked, with confidence. Talking about post, I wouldn't say the same for Reaper. But I'm just talking about some particular use in post, nothing more ;)

I've been very sensitive to safe workflow in DAWs. Actually, I've been working (in an ancient century...) on a station called Sonic Solution in the mid-nineties. The edit & crossfade pages were revolutionnary, unbelievable for that time and it would still hold the line yet I guess. All the rest in this software was crappy garbage and it gave me the most terrible professional nightmares I ever had. So I like softwares which make you forget about computer a bit. It frees the mind and the ears!

HammyHavoc and anjwilson like this.
  13. artmanjam

artmanjam New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Ok, I knew there was still another boring feature, I missed it, sorry ;)

When importing a video, you don't get a dedicated video track but an audio track displaying the audio of the video. Never mind, it works. The only little problem is that if ever you mute the audio, whatever the track or the item... the image gets muted too.

As you don't wish to hear the sound of the video (let's say the last audio version) while working indeed, the only way is to turn down track's volume. If ever you wish to compare the current work to the last one on the video, double-click on volume + solo track. And then, again unsolo and turn down volume.

14. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    View > Video Window.
    Problem solved.

15. MexicanBreed

MexicanBreed New Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I am thankful to the designers and owners of Reaper as well as Kenny Gioia and others, for an inexpensive DAW. Unlike most here, I am not a composer, not even a good musician. Yet, Reaper gives me the chance to have a go at something I didn't even know was possible 20 years ago. I can learn a bit of music production thanks to it and free plugins, vstis and a few amp simulators (I do own S-Gear). I also hope to use it my translation business by doing voice-over.

Since I lack any experience with other DAWs, I can't know for sure if others are easier or not. I often go back to the tutorials and, though it's frustrating, it is a capable tool, according to many. The fact that it's affordable should not be easily dismissed either. The world of music production is highly forbidding to so many, yet it is better than it has ever been. But when I see the prices of some of these pieces of software or libraries... Yikes!

Anyone can dislike what they dislike for any reason, but it seems odd to me that this thread is 2 years old. It was also odd to me that Joey Sturgis made a video on Reaper basically trashing it because he couldn't use it immediately after installing it. I am sure that for many who are starting any DAW would be a challenge.

Anyway, glad to be here. Please, continue bashing things other people use and like.

robgb and MartinH. like this.
  16. artmanjam

artmanjam New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Problem solved? Mmmm... I don't see how. Video is already checked (window opened) and docked here.

Muting video track doesn' close video window, it actually mutes audio AND video, displaying a black screen thereby. Nothing to see with video window visible or not. It's been related and requested some 6 years ago already. There's some annoying unlogical workaround but it remains a weird and problematic feature.

17. artmanjam

artmanjam New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Speaking for myself, no bashing intent. Reaper is an interesting and affordable DAW. I'm just pointing some weak features for postproduction use. Nothing more, nothing less ;)

18. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    I'm honestly not sure why this is a problem. Yes, muting the track mutes both audio and video, but you can easily lower the volume to zero on the video track, then Command click and drag the audio to a new Audio only track and mute and unmute it to your heart's content without affecting the video at all. It's a simple process that can undoubtedly be reduced to a custom action that requires a single keystroke. Or, if you don't want to do the click and drag thing, you can render the audio out to a separate stem with another keystroke. What am I missing that you're trying to do?

Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 8.23.27 AM.png

Another way to simply mute the track is to option/alt click the I/O routing button on that track to kill the sound going to the master track. There's also an action for this that can be reduced to a keystroke. I don't find any of these "workarounds" illogical or annoying.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  19. artmanjam

artmanjam New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Yep, the first one is the right one, copying the audio to a new track, having the video track's gain turned down. Video's audio can be easily muted/soloed then. The second one is the one I called the 'annoying one', it's better and way safer to have the enlighted 'M' for mute status visible ;)

Great for the easy workaround!

20. Diablo3

Diablo3 Member

Feb 28, 2019
    That it looks fugly, like a toy, that it's menu after menu after menu, that is very customizable you get lost at it... that you need SWS for certain actions, that Midi scks ballz so bad is unbelievable (edit a midi track and just lags so bad and nope, my machine is excellent add to that the project is not big), that I have to squint to read anything.

I tried Cubase Elements 10... what a piece of crap still is Cubase, performance is so bad ... Reaper wins here... but I changed to SO4 Pro now and I am happy (not in ecstasy but I can read everything very well and actually looks good and modern).

If Reaper 6 doesn't look properly (layout, it needs an inspector section a la Cubase or SO4, which yes, you can get it as an add on some user made, or this "great" theme I bought from Albertxxxxxxx who actually made a layout with track inspector)... then prob. will stick to SO4...

it's very disappointing that at 2019 no DAW takes the cake.... I find it so absurd...

Don't get me started on Pro Tools... that's a long gone dog... I still have hopes for Reaper in version 6... Layout wise Cubase and SO4 win by a mile.

The other DAWs are just an intent to make one... (Ok, Idk anything about Ableton Live and well, Fruity Loops has its use I guess). I wish I was a Mac fanboy and just used Logic X seems the best option (not because it's better but because it seems programs are for some reason made to run better in Apple stuff (Macs). But I won't support a phone company that is a mess right now (and has been for a while, google it, youtube it, whatever).

Just forget about egos and get all together and make the ultimate daw (I know bugs will always exist we are all humans). Grrr I had to vent here....

InLight-Tone likes this.