What's new

What is one piece/song you’ve written that captures you as a whole?

ChrisSiuMusic

Hi friends,

This thought just came to mind. Throughout our lives as writers and creatives, we’re always trying to put together music that defines who we are, and are proud to share with the world.

However, it’s so easy to become overly critical of our own work and lose sight of the progress we’ve made, so we don’t always end up appreciating what we put out and look back on it fondly.

So I’d like to ask you, what is one work of yours that you think really captures your musical soul and style, and if someone asked to listen to something of yours, you’d point them to that proudly?

For me, it’s a recently published song that I spent some time with and truly put all I had into it. I’d love to hear yours!

Cheers,
Chris

I wished I had your bravery and your confidence in one’s own work but I hate everything I write although others love it and commission me constantly. Where others listen to their own work enjoying it, I simply listen to find mistakes and critique it the entire time. I am also wondering if this is an age thing? When I was in my 20’s I was proud of every thing I wrote and highly critical of others. Now in my 40’s, I am much more critical of my own work but try to lift others up accepting them where they are right now.

Last edited:
Well, there's one, but it's highly personal. I wrote this after ending a relationship of twelve years, hence the obvious title. It is a celebration of the highs and lows, and the feelings of love that, in essence, define me as a person. Those emotions allow me to do what I do in music, and this is the closest I've come to really nail down who I am and what I feel deep down:

It was a messy breakup that in hindsight could've/should've/would've gone very differently. But alas, such is the way of life. Nevertheless, I will never forget that woman, my youth growing up with her, and becoming who I am, in part, because of her. Although we made the right decision for both, I will never forget her.

Shed a small tear writing this. I love you Maud.

Life is beautiful. But that beauty can also hurt like none other.

PS. @ChrisSiuMusic absolutely wonderful idea for a thread. Thank you!

Last edited:
This is a great little idea for a thread.

This is a piece I wrote for Christmas 2020. Despite the fact it's supposed to have a festive feel I thought I would share it because it's one that I consistantly go back to and go "yeah, I'm pretty proud of this one" and it's the one I would point to the most I think, even if it's out of season.

It's also the piece that marked a change for me as a "composer" (I'm putting composer in quotes because I feel I can't really call myself that and take it seriously since I can't even read sheet music all that well) but after this piece I got a real drive to write a lot more and try to push myself creatively.

There's plenty I would change listening back to it, but as it is, it's not bad.

I know I am known for more hybrid stuff. But the work I am most proud of and, I think, define my melodic/harmonic approach the most succinctly is my Honor Of Kings work.

Cool thread Chris, glad to see a fellow singer amongst the composers :)

-DJ

Last edited:
Definitely a cool thread, Chris, and a great piece of music, as usual!

I’m a metal head and horror hound at heart, so i think this short track expresses that.

As you can hear, you and I share a lot of musical similarities, Chris! :roflmao:

Last edited:
This piece feels the closest to expressing something meaningful and true about me.

It started out as a short piece for a one-hour composition challenge. (There's a link in the description to the result of that hour.) When I came back to it and completed it, it ended up, as if by accident, expressing something of deep emotional truth. It's one of my favorite pieces I've written.

I wished I had your bravery and your confidence in one’s own work but I hate everything I write although others love it and commission me constantly. Where others listen to their own work enjoying it, I simply listen to find mistakes and critique it the entire time. I am also wondering if this is an age thing? When I was in my 20’s I was proud of every thing I wrote and highly critical of others. Now in my 40’s, I am much more critical of my own work but try to lift others up accepting them where they are right now.
I totally get that Rodney. For me, the feeling of knowing I can still fix it while it's still in my hands and not out in the world yet bugs me, but I know that I'll just end up in a bottomless rut if I don't commit to it. Thanks for sharing!

Well, there's one, but it's highly personal. I wrote this after ending a relationship of twelve years, hence the obvious title. It is a celebration of the highs and lows, and the feelings of love that, in essence, define me as a person. Those emotions allow me to do what I do in music, and this is the closest I've come to really nail down who I am and what I feel deep down:

It was a messy breakup that in hindsight could've/should've/would've gone very differently. But alas, such is the way of life. Nevertheless, I will never forget that woman, my youth growing up with her, and becoming who I am, in part, because of her. Although we made the right decision for both, I will never forget her.

Shed a small tear writing this. I love you Maud.

Life is beautiful. But that beauty can also hurt like none other.

PS. @ChrisSiuMusic absolutely wonderful idea for a thread. Thank you!

Such a touching story, thank you so much for sharing.

This is a great little idea for a thread.

This is a piece I wrote for Christmas 2020. Despite the fact it's supposed to have a festive feel I thought I would share it because it's one that I consistantly go back to and go "yeah, I'm pretty proud of this one" and it's the one I would point to the most I think, even if it's out of season.

It's also the piece that marked a change for me as a "composer" (I'm putting composer in quotes because I feel I can't really call myself that and take it seriously since I can't even read sheet music all that well) but after this piece I got a real drive to write a lot more and try to push myself creatively.

There's plenty I would change listening back to it, but as it is, it's not bad.

Congratulations on getting this out there Duncan. Great story!!

I know I am known for more hybrid stuff. But the work I am most proud of and, I think, define my melodic/harmonic approach the most succinctly is my Honor Of Kings work.

Cool thread Chris, glad to see a fellow singer amongst the composers :)

-DJ

Love the evocative passionate nature of this piece Daniel. Thanks for sharing mate!

Definitely a cool thread, Chris, and a great piece of music, as usual!

I’m a metal head and horror hound at heart, so i think this short track expresses that.

As you can hear, you and I share a lot of musical similarities, Chris! :roflmao:

YUP we're musical twins :D But actually this gives me the chills in the best way.

This piece feels the closest to expressing something meaningful and true about me.

It started out as a short piece for a one-hour composition challenge. (There's a link in the description to the result of that hour.) When I came back to it and completed it, it ended up, as if by accident, expressing something of deep emotional truth. It's one of my favorite pieces I've written.

Congratulations Terry! Thank you for sharing :)

Hey Chris how you doing brother ... hope you are well

At the moment I'm really enjoying the progress of writing something everyday

my journey/addiction for strings library begins exactly 1 year ago , still loving it

Enjoy the music , peace and love people

Jack

Top Bottom