What's new

What is bx _ oberhausen ??

April Voucher gets to $154. Will take big discount from $250. later.
SEM's = :cool:

That's dirt cheap compared to the original selling price of an SEM; but considering how spoiled we are for choice these days, it's more than I'm likely to spend st this point.

I'll just have to "get by" with Omnisphere, Diva, Repro, Syntronik, etc. until the bx_oberhausen price dips into double digits. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

Not a fan of the argument for comparing against original synth pricing since they are limited supply and 0's and 1's are not, especially when there are other Oberheim emulations out there. When comparing specifically to Arturia's offering for $150 I don't really see how this is $100 better. Again, this is my personal opinion, I just believe they need to price these more competitively out of the gate.

Not a fan of the argument for comparing against original synth pricing since they are limited supply and 0's and 1's are not, especially when there are other Oberheim emulations out there. When comparing specifically to Arturia's offering for $150 I don't really see how this is $100 better. Again, this is my personal opinion, I just believe they need to price these more competitively out of the gate.
From a present day perspective, I agree that it's more apt to compare software to software.

Speaking as someone who pined for the original SEM in the '70s but couldn't afford one—and who scraped together $3,200 in 1983 (over $8,000 in today's money) to buy an OB-8—I feel a little silly complaining about bx_oberhausen's price, even though it's only software. Not everyone has that frame of reference or those powerful memories, though; so of course, YMMV.

That said, due to the law of diminishing returns, I already have a lot of quality software synths that lessen the value of having bx_oberhausen as well. Now the comparison becomes, "What can bx_oberhausen do that those others can't, and how much money is that worth to me?"

Best,

Geoff

Last edited:
SoundCloud is probably no way to judge, but to my ears the various audio demos don't even come close to Arturia's offerings. Still, it might improve with age, and if vouchers can be stacked (I have only once succeeded in doing this, but others have somehow found a way and have gotten better deals than I have in spite of my owning their entire catalogue), it might become tempting at <$100.

I am simply not hearing the subtle variation in sound that the best emulations (and Real Analog) are known for. But perhaps it is meant to be more like a Matrix-12 than an SEM, even though the SEM Expander appears to be their main target of emulation.

From a present day perspective, I agree that it's more apt to compare software to software.

Speaking as someone who pined for the original SEM in the '70s but couldn't afford one—and who scraped together $3,200 in 1983 (over $8,000 in today's money) to buy an OB-8—I feel a little silly complaining about bx_oberhausen's price, even though it's only software. Not everyone has that frame of reference or those powerful memories, though; so of course, YMMV.

That said, due to the law of diminishing returns, I already have a lot of quality software synths that lessen the value of having bx_oberhausen as well. Now the comparison becomes, "What can bx_oberhausen do that those others can't, and how much money is that worth to me?"

Best,

Geoff

Well put, and I’d say it’s relevant because of its SEM Emulation.
The Oscillators had a very powerful sound and the SEM Filter is legendary as the Moog Ladder.

Plus Dirk @ BX made quality plug ins long before VST was even in the same league.
SHARC ASDP-21369 chips using his Mid-Side Mastering plug 17 years ago are excellent.
I use a nice 2.1 Stage Monitor rig where I still use his MonoMaker to isolate 200Hz and lower freqs for the Sub, all frees above go to dual mono outs and the isolation is phenomenal.
I believe the VSY Version is called BX Digital.

So there’s always a level of audio quality in any of his work.

I think this synth sounds great, Ill talk myself into it.
I really wish they’d make it for SHARC DSP Chips and let UAD, or Scope use it.

UAD could make or at least port over some great DSP Atoms already in use.
They’re using the ADSP-21469 Chips now, that chip is incredibly powerful.

Nice share.

At that price, I'm in. Hopefully I can figure out how to stack the discounts. It worked in February on an expensive new item, but in previous months I had found it was "one or the other" when it came to the coupons. I think it has to do with the nature of the coupon itself though. Some are designed for stacking and others are "same category" offers that thus are tiered to the user and their loyalty level.

Hm... I've received eight email messages from Plugin Alliance this month (April 1, 3, 5, 7, etc.) but no April Voucher.

"Heavy Hitter Intro Code" doesn't work for me either. The best I can get it down to is $129, using a code that Plugin Alliance sent me today.

Best,

Geoff

Definitely works. Just add each voucher into the voucher field on the checkout site. Confirm, add the next. Got bx_oberhausen for $28,56 two hours ago.

WUT. Which ones did you use?

Edit: what is the Heavy Hitter coupon code? is it literally "Heavy Hitter" Cause that doesnt work for me

Edit again: slowly realizing Heavy hitter is a certain code they send you..

:(

Last edited:
Nope; just one $75 voucher. I didn't use last month's as there wasn't anything new yet. The $80 special discount today brought it down from $179 to $99, and then from there, it screamed "buy me".

Was the $80 special just for loyal customers, or for everyone? I didn't pay attention and already deleted the email now that I've used the coupon.

Top Bottom