What's new

What guitar sample library is good for making this kind of sound ...?

ManicMiner

in the Skylab landing bay
I'm looking for this kind of sound to make a riff like this... @ 1m 48s
(its a real guitar being used in the song, but wondering if any sample library comes close)
I have been oggling EEG Strawberry by Orangetree but am not sure...
(Do they ever have sales?)

No idea about guitar libraries (guitar player) but if you have something in mind Im happy to try and record it for you. I can get pretty close to that tone with my Helix.

First let me point out that doing such thing with a library would be insanely too much work if any guitar player from neighborhood can do that.
But to answer your question, Impact Soundworks Shreddage would be one that comes to mind.
The best way actually is to use clean guitar sample (tons of them out there) and then add one of the big amp/effect after it like amplitube etc, which could simulate this the most natural way. Again, too much effort but doable.

You can definitely do this with one of the Orange Tree Evolution electrics or one of the Shreddage 3 guitars. They're all recorded clean so you can run them through any amp and other processing you want, meaning pretty much any of them can cover a fairly wide range of tones and styles. Evolution Rock Standard or Shreddage 3 Jupiter would be my picks, personally.

Evolution Rock Standard or Shreddage 3 Jupiter would be my picks, personally.
Thanks for putting me onto the Rock Standard. Its also got a nice "Indie" sound,... I was looking for this kind of Chris Isaac "Blue Hotel" sound too.

In case you want to do more research: the guitar model that can produce that tone/phrase would be a Stratocater styled solid-body with a humbucker bridge pickup and a tremolo bar.

I was looking for this kind of Chris Isaac "Blue Hotel" sound too.
This one's harder to find. The key to that is a Bigsby trem, which when used bends the thicker strings' pitch a LOT more than the thin strings, so when used on a chord it makes the chord drift apart. You can emulate that by using any hollowbody electric with a shorter sustain, programming each string in a separate part with different pitch bend for each, or, I've https://www.karoryfer.com/karoryfer-samples/wydawnictwa/secret-agent-guitar (sampled a hollowbody guitar with one of those modeled). I'm also slowly collecting data on other trem types...

This one's harder to find. The key to that is a Bigsby trem, which when used bends the thicker strings' pitch a LOT more than the thin strings, so when used on a chord it makes the chord drift apart. You can emulate that by using any hollowbody electric with a shorter sustain, programming each string in a separate part with different pitch bend for each, or, I've https://www.karoryfer.com/karoryfer-samples/wydawnictwa/secret-agent-guitar (sampled a hollowbody guitar with one of those modeled). I'm also slowly collecting data on other trem types...
How about your squidpipes and run it through amplitube? I should totally try it.

Heh, I think those have plenty of harsh treble even without distortion. Amplitube might mellow them out.

As stated above, you will be way better off finding a live guitarist to record the riff for you than trying to program it in. Let me know if we can help! :)

First let me point out that doing such thing with a library would be insanely too much work if any guitar player from neighborhood can do that.
But to answer your question, Impact Soundworks Shreddage would be one that comes to mind.
The best way actually is to use clean guitar sample (tons of them out there) and then add one of the big amp/effect after it like amplitube etc, which could simulate this the most natural way. Again, too much effort but doable.

Renting a guitar player for what you want is going to be both cheaper and easier. There are a TON of guitarists around who could play that and more. Just go to your guitar shop and ask around/put up a note on the billboard.

In this case I advise against paying for a library.

All that said, I use Guitar Rig, Shreddage, and Cinematic Guitars (mostly I use them for rhythm work and play the leads myself). I use self-made distortion IRs in Reflektor as well.

Realistic guitars might be one of the hardest common Instruments to sample... and as said before, even if it's done right, you still got lots of MIDI programming ahead.
Little off topic, but that's why I almost always and only used guitars for background ambience, as an effect, from libraries like Evolve from Heavyocity. Wish I had Spitfire Ambinet Guitars as well, they seem very nice for that stuff.

Top Bottom